Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brick Radlermass Lager

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Brick Radlermass Lager

Post by NRman »

OK. I am the first to hang shit on the Brick for their current line up, (Platinum Light..REALLY?) but having said that, I will always try ANY new beer twice. I was walking past the brewery a few mins ago here in Waterloo and see this -
"Waterloo Lemonade Radlermass Lager - Seasonal Collection. 4.8% Beer with flavour" $2.75/500ml can

There's a little story on the can about the history of radlers on the back - post WWI - beer shortage - mixed beer with lemonade to overcome - cyclists were happy to drink in copious thirst quenching amounts...blah blah blah. Not sure this is true but sounds good.

My German friends still enjoy their Radlers and I have never been a huge fan. I didn't mind Brick Bambay for what it was.. I love orange flavour
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/416/18893

This is a little more beery than Bambay - (but bad Brick beery, but the lemon flavour masks it a bit). Ice cold after some summer effort it might not be a bad choice to stop me from chugging my Two Hearted straight down to quench a thirst. Will I buy another? Probably not but lets see how hot it gets this summer and if we run out of beer and need to make the 122 m walk to the Brick.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Saw this today too on my way to Vincenzo's. Don't much care for the Brick, but based on your mediocre suggestion I will look into getting one for a tick. I'm a sucker for attempts at historical brews :P .

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

JesseM wrote: I will look into getting one for a tick.
One is enough.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I wonder if they're trying to imitate Mill Streets success with Lemon Tea last summer.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I will always try ANY new beer twice.

Yes, yes. I generally don't agree with judging a beer on one sampling. Tastes buds change day to day. I have, on many occasions, purchased 6 or 12 when trying something new. And sometimes, my first impression is average, but by day 3 or 4 I am liking the beer quite a bit.

As for this beer, my parents brought me a can of something similar from Germany a year or so ago. I didn't realize what is was, and thought the flavour was odd to say the least. When I translated the German and realized there was lemonade in it, I thought it was not too bad for what it was intended to be. It would be good on a hot summer afternoon of yard work or athletics.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

This really isn't that bad at all. I would get it now while it's fresh. I usually am not at all a fruit beer fan, but the lemon aspects work really well with the pale lager underneath. Weird. Brick surprises me sometimes (only sometimes).

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I'm actually ISO this one.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I'm actually ISO this one.
You also actively searched out Blue Thunder as i recall.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

sprague11 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I'm actually ISO this one.
You also actively searched out Blue Thunder as i recall.
Yes, I did. I always try the absolute worst.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Ren, I'll try to get you a can. Just promise me your rating won't be too ghey.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:Ren, I'll try to get you a can. Just promise me your rating won't be too ghey.

If you get me a can J-dawg, I would appreciate it arot. I rearry want to try this one. I riked the bambay as werr. I promise my rating wirr not be urtra ghey.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

S. St. Jeb wrote:my parents brought me a can of something similar from Germany a year or so ago. I didn't realize what is was, and thought the flavour was odd to say the least. When I translated the German and realized there was lemonade in it, I thought it was not too bad for what it was intended to be. It would be good on a hot summer afternoon of yard work or athletics.
Finally tried this tonight....after riding my bicycle home from work. :) For what it is supposed to be, I thought it was good. Would I drink one if I really wanted a beer? No, it's something different. Would I be inclined to take this, say, on a picnic or to the beach on a hot day. Yes. Oops, except, that wouldn't be allowed. It is still alcoholic!! :cry:

This one is 4.8%. My recollection of the German one I tried is that it was about 2.5% which to me sounds more reasonable.....for what this is supposed to be.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm holding out for the scotch barrel-aged, wax-dipped can edition.

And anyway why don't they just sell Radler in bars here? You mix a mediocre lager with lemonade, it's drinkable, what??
In Beerum Veritas

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Agree with above...just buy a cheap case of Brava mix in lemonade..presto...radler...