Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Mad Tom IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

notdan wrote:
icemachine wrote: on my way up to Warsaw
Checking out the caves?
Yep camping with with the wife's Step-siblings. Won't be getting up there til Sat. morning though since we are at the Hip concert the night before. Curious to see if the organizers take advantage of the new laws for beer tents, though I doubt it.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Growler of what something from John at Churchkey?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

mgmoney wrote:Growler of what something from John at Churchkey?
That would be the plan
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

think i might do same this weekend as I cottage in lovely Havelock..cheers mate

heebes

Post by heebes »

just noticed a best before date right on the neck of the bottle. a bottled on would have been better but beggars cant be choosers!

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

this beer rocks...a good solid version of an American Pale Ale
will be a regular in my fridge for sure :D

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Still prefer Curmudgeon, but this is still a very good beer.

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Looks like I am late to the party. But I just wanted to add my two-cents-worth...

Just came back from a rellie's cottage and I had taken a six-pack of Mad Tom away with me. Mad me look really smart and tasteful. Also had a couple of the big bottles of the Weissbier. Also a superb quality beer.

Congratulations.

I intend to stock up again before the end of the week.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

bartle

Post by bartle »

This beer is like the Magnotta IPA on steroids.

at first I didn't dig it due to lack of malt sweetness, then I embraced how awesome the hopping is. Centennial kind of owns my heart as a hop, so I'm bias. I also don't like crystal malts...and this obviously has none or so little that it's still golden.

It's tonsil biting bitter. Total new-school english malt bill with huge american hopping. I'm down with this when it's 30C outside and when it gets cold and I can find it, I'll drink it again. This is a real beer.
enjoi

Muskokan

Post by Muskokan »

Have been following this thread closely...really loving the feedback...and glad people are enjoying this beer. I know I for one have been drinking my fair share of this brew...this is one of my favourite summer (and anytime) beer styles, so the fact that we're now brewing one is music to my throat.

Thanks for all the discussion...the brewery is reading.

Cheers,

Mike

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I like the citrus.
In Beerum Veritas

wayek11

Post by wayek11 »

it's good stuff! about time we had something like this regularly available in ontario....well hopefully

I grabbed a 6 at first

and then immediately ordered a case :)

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

This is my review on BA. IMHO, Mad Tom is a "good" IPA that could use some modest improvements. I've been grabbing it pretty frequently since it came out and will likely continue to do so over the rest of the summer. Cheers!

B / 3.68 rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

355ml bottle from a 6 pack purchased at the Wonderland & Southdale LCBO in London, ON.

Pours a slightly hazed amber hue with golden edges, a thin ring of bubbly, eggshell white foam, and some strands of lacing on the Duvel glass. Good head retention.

Mild smell is orange rind, peach, lemon zest, flowery and herbaceous hops, earth, cake dough, metal, and just the tiniest hint of white grapefruit. A muddled and subdued nose, more metallic and earthy than I personally enjoy, with a mix of aromas that appear in both English and American IPAs.

Taste is spicy, citric, and zesty hops, orange peel, nectarine, Fuzzy Peach candy, and a pithy, grapefruit bitterness with some metal on the cough. At times I get musty, leafy, and grassy notes, presumably from the Sorachi Ace hops, and they make this seem more like a British India Pale Ale than a US rendition of the style. Also, the flavour profile is quite restrained in comparison to the benchmark IPAs from Sierra Nevada, Bell's, and Stone.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, silky smooth and oily middle, hops throw down an assertive, citrusy spiciness with a pithy and lasting bitterness and ultra dry finish. Solid.

Overall, Mad Tom is a very respectable take on the genre, but it needs a few tweaks before it can be considered a truly great IPA. Get rid of the tinny earthiness and the other "English" elements in this brew, amp up the hops, and this will be a much cleaner and more cohesive offering.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I had this on cask yesterday at the Arrow & Loon in Ottawa and it was one of the top 5 beer experiences I've ever had. H-o-l-y CRAP. I could have drank the whole cask myself :D .

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bottled version is a re-buy. A good effort to wallop Ontarians with hop nectar, and to spur on our more conservative brewers to be adventuresome.
In Beerum Veritas