Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Mad Tom IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

It really is much much better on cask, isn't it? That can be said of many beers, of course, but Mad Tom seems to have a more distinct difference than most. The cask seems to wear away the sharp edges and make it very drinkable and delicious.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It might be the yeast that has that effect.

Gary
Gary Gillman

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Had this on tap last night for the first time and was disappointed. Mad Tom is a decent effort as an introduction to the style in Ontario for Muskoka, but this recipe is going to need some serious tweaking to survive as regular offering as the Ontario craft beer market continues to grow.

As for the specifics, I found that the hops provided a decent aroma and good bitterness but no flavour contribution whatsoever. I don't think I will be buying this one again, in bottles or on tap, as long as I have decent alternatives.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Bottles = Great
Tap = Great
Cask = Amazing!
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Our buddy the Albino Rhino recently posted another outstanding beer review - this time of Mad Tom.

Apparently I missed the "compost" taste...

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Our buddy the Albino Rhino recently posted another outstanding beer review - this time of Mad Tom.

like its not total ass but....

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Our buddy the Albino Rhino recently posted another outstanding beer review - this time of Mad Tom.

God I hate that guy. These guys are absolute morons. It's an IPA dickwads, it's supposed to have citrus, peach, etc.

haha.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

I can't take anybody wearing a Sens t-shirt seriously. Sadly I took the time to watch his Black Creek IPA review as well and he was wearing another Sens shirt.

As far as Mad Tom goes, it's definitely not my favourite IPA that's readily available, but I think it's a great addition to the Ontario beer-scape and I'd have no trouble ordering it on tap or recommending it to friends. I would love to try the cask version, hopefully it will be at the Muskoka Beer Fest.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

The Mick wrote:I can't take anybody wearing a Sens t-shirt seriously. Sadly I took the time to watch his Black Creek IPA review as well and he was wearing another Sens shirt.

As far as Mad Tom goes, it's definitely not my favourite IPA that's readily available, but I think it's a great addition to the Ontario beer-scape and I'd have no trouble ordering it on tap or recommending it to friends. I would love to try the cask version, hopefully it will be at the Muskoka Beer Fest.
The Arrow & Loon had it on cask at the end of July. Un-f***ing-believable.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

elproducto wrote:...God I hate that guy. These guys are absolute morons. It's an IPA dickwads...
Fear not. They're pretty much everywhere. I'm sure I've been a dickwad at times.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The Mick wrote:I can't take anybody wearing a Sens t-shirt seriously. .
I just hope you're not a leafs fan, cause no one takes them seriously.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Of course you can't take any other sports fan seriously either.
lister

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

lister wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

You too eh?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
lister wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: I just hope you're not a leafs fan, cause no one takes them seriously.

You too eh?
Yeah especially the soccer and NFL nuts.
lister

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

lister wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
lister wrote: Of course you can't take any other sports fan seriously either.

You too eh?
Yeah especially the soccer and NFL nuts.

I'm an NFL nut. But by NFL, I mean No Fucking Lemon. As in serving it with my wheat beer. :)