Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Taps Saphire

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Taps Saphire

Post by SteelbackGuy »

On tap recently at Gambrinus, with many thanks to masters Adil and Milos for acquiring the keg.

This is a solid pale ale. Though I'd simply prefer the Chuck Norris, this was a subtle citric and floral delight that was quite sessionable.

What do you think?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

I had this in Guelph not too long ago. Im starting to think it was a different beer though. Was more like a fruit beer to me. Sweet Cherries, plums, some spices and a light malt flavour. No hops. Was an overal decent, sessionable beer.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I had it at there growler night and enjoyed it. I agree with your comments on the flavor of the hops. I would preffer a little more hops, but cant win everyone over. If you liked that keep an eye for there all cascade brew. I just had it this past monday and am going to open up my growler of it tonight. It was very nice and had about 10 IBU more than the saphire.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Liking all the comments here especially as I am in Niagara so often. Between the brewing school, Taps and The Syndicate, the beer world (which previously was only across the border) is getting so much better. I'm a big Chuck fan.

Flood

Post by Flood »

There is still a little left!
Feel free to swing by for a long weekend pint.... Nick and myself will be hanging out!

Cheers to all.
beer up

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I can't say that i was a fan of the Saphire. It just didn't have the hop character that I like. However, the Taps Cascade was Phenomenal! One of the best beers I think they have brewed to-date.

Keep up it fellas.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I tried the Taps Saphire and def thought the Cascade was a little nicer. Both solid offerings though.

Yapper

Post by Yapper »

I really wish Taps would update thier 'selection currently on tap' on their web page...its atleast 2 years old. I would visit more if i knew there was a new beer being tapped. I accidently had Choke Slam at the Winking Jugde, not even knowing who brewed it due to the tap handle being so small. Since I found out it was Taps I have filled 5 growlers, awsome beer (its unfortunate that people rate this beer when they obviously do not appriciate this style).

I will have to stop into the brewery this weekend to give these 2 new brews a whirl.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Yapper wrote:I(its unfortunate that people rate this beer when they obviously do not appriciate this style).
So only people that love a particular style of something should rate/critique them?

Also:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/taps-big-e ... pa/142157/
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13831/67455

Most of those ratings seem like people who like DIPAs... so not sure what you are talking about?

Yapper

Post by Yapper »

I love DIPA's that are 100+ ibu, bitter forward (ie ruination) and would love to see this brewed again. Sorry i didnt visit all the rating sites and read every post....i just noticed a few comments regarding this beer being off balanced. For a beer like this in Ontario its a shame it will be buried as an average 'B' beer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

"For a beer like this in Ontario..." Well, if it gets more ratings on Ratebeer and manages to keep the same score (~3.65) it will be in the top 8 rated brews in Ontario. Not bad imho.

That would not however be quite enough put it in the top 100 DIPAs on that site. (It would currently need a score >3.77 for that). Still, to be that close to the top 100 is fairly impressive.

A "B" score is not really average on BeerAdvocate either, its better than average...

Sorry to tediously nitpick, but I don't think the beer is being treated unfairly. Most of the comments seem to be along the lines of "Its good but could be better".

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I think its a good beer the choke slam. I just think that it is missing the over the top hop aroma. That the beers in the top 100 all have. It needs a bigger dry hop. I also had it fresh from tap and cask. The cask was better of the 2 in my opinion. It had a nicer aroma to it. Which I think is because they dry hopped the cask.

Flood

Post by Flood »

I'm just about to tap a keg of the Cascade single hop at Gambrinus.
It should be on by tonight, latest.

Please feel free to swing by and enjoy one!
beer up

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I think its a good beer the choke slam. I just think that it is missing the over the top hop aroma. That the beers in the top 100 all have. It needs a bigger dry hop. I also had it fresh from tap and cask. The cask was better of the 2 in my opinion. It had a nicer aroma to it. Which I think is because they dry hopped the cask.
When I had it the first time at Taps's Growler Club, that was my though exactly. No hop aroma! And for me a large part of the flavour and enjoyment of an IPA comes from the aroma.