Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Red Racer vs. Racer 5

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jimmay

Red Racer vs. Racer 5

Post by jimmay »

Well, I had a bottle of each, so I had to put them up head to head.

Love both, both have tonnes of resiny hops, and balanced well with sweet caramel malt. Both dynamite IPAs. Red Racer a little darker, and I think a little more in the mouthfeel, more caramelish malts. I could drink either all night long...

Anybody else tried both?

Ratebeer has Red Racer at 98 percentile and Racer 5 at 99. I think Red Racer is the winner (but I'm partial to Cdn craft!!) Sorry, not the best photo.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

jimmay wrote:Anybody else tried both?
I've only had the Red Racer (so maybe I shouldn't reply?), but I absolutely loved it; one of the best beers I've ever had.
Last edited by S. St. Jeb on Sat May 21, 2011 1:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Both are very available here in B.C. (hence the recent lawsuit). Both are excellent...but I'd pick the Red Racer as favorite.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Haven't done a side by side, and never had a super fresh Racer 5, but I'd pick the Red Racer. Both are hoppy, but the Red Racer has more bitterness.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I haven't done a side by side either but I have had both a number of times and I love both. That said, if I had to pick one I would pick Red Racer...

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

It is great to hear that the Red Racer stands up to Racer 5. I've never had Red Racer, but I've enjoyed Racer 5 a number of times, and if the Red Racer is even close, then it must be a helluva beer!
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Red Racer. Easy. IMO.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Had a can of Red Racer from jimmay sitting in my fridge that i finally got to try. Awesome IPA.. and not just for a Canadian beer. I've had Racer 5 on tap so that may set it above Red Racer because of the freshness. Both are amazing IPAs. I think Red Racer may be my new favourite Canadian IPA surpassing Smashbomb.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Both really good, the Hop Rod Rye too.

In a very close race I'd choose the one that's more local or fresher. This is where Ontario IPA's could have the advantage in a few short years (go, Ontario.)
In Beerum Veritas