Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dark Star Sunburst

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Dark Star Sunburst

Post by mintjellie »

B+ / 4 rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Deep golden straw colour with brilliant clarity. A finger of pale white foam is only somewhat retentive, but leaves some nice lacing behind. Delicate and perfumey aroma with notes of honey, grapefruit rind, wildflowers, clean hay, and very faint butter. It hits the palate with some juicy grapefuit and lemon before transitioning into lightly buttered white bread. Finishes with a dry, woody bitterness that only shows intensity or linger when you really hold it and roll it on the palate. It's a light-bodied ale with low carbonation, but it's actually just a touch oily and resinous too. Has a slight slickness to it. Sits lightly in your stomach. I would love to see how this balanced and tasty ale would pair with pan-fried pickeral, fries, and slaw. I'd also love to see how well it goes with the back porch and a hot July day.

carguy

Post by carguy »

I tried it a few days ago, and thought it was brilliant. Reminds me of Black Sheep Ale. A nice summer beer.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I liked this one a lot too, and liked it a lot better than the other golden ale in the current release (the Celt one).

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

midlife crisis wrote:I liked this one a lot too, and liked it a lot better than the other golden ale in the current release (the Celt one).
We have the Honeydew as well, which I didn't think was quite as good as the Sunburst, but still found pretty enjoyable. The Celt is in my fridge, I'll try it this weekend.

I might have to stock up. I could make golden ale my official beer of summer.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Excellent beer, I'd advise to drink it only lightly chilled so the relatively light carbonation doesn't get too locked in.

Granite's IPA is very much in this style, plus of course it's a cask beer.

It's interesting to compare the "grapefruit" taste to that of some American hops; there is a definite similarity, so perhaps the latter have some Kent Golding in their DNA. Still, to my taste the English hops have a superior flavour especially in the finish where you get the woodsy notes noted in the review above.

Gary
Gary Gillman

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

VKD-diacetyl through the roof, this one was a drain pour.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

trub_man wrote:VKD-diacetyl through the roof, this one was a drain pour.
mine didnt have any diacetyl, maybe you got a beat up bottle

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

Diacetyl is formed three ways
1) Fermentation and yeast metabolism - which is re-absorbed by the yeast through a diacetyl rest.
2) Respiratory mutants and petite mutants - yeast which has lost the ability utilize oxygen and therefore cannot uptake naturally formed diacetyl
3) Pediococcus - bacteria that can make beer buttery

If I got one bottle with this all bottles should have it.

Will purchase another and I hope I do not have to use it as a topping for my kids’ popcorn.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

I second the diacetyl.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

have to agree with above diacetyl present in my bottle as well...didn't drain pour it, but wary of buying some more..found the Celt to be much more pleasant imho

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Having had a few more bottles now, I'm also finding some diacetyl as well. Not exactly through the roof though, and anyways, I find that butteriness pleasant at low levels.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Found this to be a very good summer sipper. Very, very floral and quite herbal as well. I detected no diacetyl, but that is not to say some bottles don't throw it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

I'll have to fifth the diacetyl on the one. Reminds me alot of the trait i find in bottled dead elephant ale, but with a bit of light citrus. Will try not to drain pour, but won't be going for this again. The Fuller's Honeydew was actually the surprise of the night, liked that alot more than this or the celt, good balance and a very sweet and subtle touch of real honey