Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Keith's in the uS

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve Beaumont

Keith's in the uS

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I just discovered via The Brew Site that Keith's is making a push into the American market with a "Nova Scotia Style Lager," "Nova Scotia Style Pale Ale" and "Nova Scotia Style Brown Ale," all brewed south of the border.

I'd be curious to know if any of them correspond to what is offered under the Keith's label in Canada. And if so, what?

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Saw some of them at Consumers in Buffalo, I was surprised to see a bunch of Keith's beers not even available in Canada. ... Then preceded to the 'good' beer aisle.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I saw them at Beers of the World in Rochester, and had a bit of a conversation about them with the guy at the checkout. He said they were different and not a re-branding. He was also amazed that a lot of the Canadian stuff they had we couldn't get in Ontario.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This website suggests they're being brewed in St. Louis by an arm of Alexander Keith there. I guess perhaps at A-B given the InBev link.

http://www.alexanderkeiths.com/home.php

I'd guess again that the pale ale and lager are similar to Keith's IPA as known here and any lager also brewed by Keith's in Canada - is there one though? The brown ale though must be new but maybe it's based on the Harvest Ale or Scotch ale that Keith's has put out here.

Gary
Gary Gillman

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Good old St. Louis, the Gateway to the West and the pride of Nova Scotia.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

G.M. Gillman wrote:This website suggests they're being brewed in St. Louis by an arm of Alexander Keith there. I guess perhaps at A-B given the InBev link. Gary
Wow Gary?

Interesting phrasing. This is one company and it prints labels. The beer is coincidental from whatever high gravity tank they happen to decide to pull from. You seriously think there is some concern for a quality oriented brand out there that they have moved and are doing whatever they can to protect its history? Seriously?

Gary, I refuse to believe anybody is that blinded by marketing. C'mon..................seriously?

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Rob, I didn't use the word quality (either way).

I was referring to the legend at the bottom of the website I posted, from which I inferred the beers might be brewed in St. Loo. That's all.

Gary
Gary Gillman

MasterChiefP

Post by MasterChiefP »

Keith's in the US is being brewed in St. Louis. Keith's in Ontario is now being brewed at the Labatt brewery in London Ontario. In the BC market I believe Keith's is brewed in Creston at the Columbia Brewing company (Labatt owned) where Kokanee is also brewed. My understanding is the Keith's liquid in the USA is completely different than the stuff we get in Canada.

The history as to why this is the case goes something like this. A while ago Labatt bought Keith's. Then Labatt was purchased by Interbrew in 1995. In 2003 Interbrew merged with the Brazilian company Ambev and became Inbev. When this happened, many of the Brazilian executives came up to Canada (including the current CEO of AB Inbev Carlos Brito) to run Labatt. Then in 2008 Inbev bought Anheuser Busch and the company became AB Inbev, the largest brewing company in the world, and the Brazilian executives and some Canadians head to St. Louis to run Anheuser Busch. One of these executives must have got the bright idea to bring the Keith's brand down south.

Shock top (owned by Anheuser Busch) and Rolling rock in the Ontario market is a result of all this too.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

According to this site, they're brewed at AB's plant in Baldwinsville, near Syracuse. I believe the Canadian Rolling Rock is brewed there as well.

http://www.anheuser-busch.com/s/index.p ... ntroduces/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

And god this particular version of Rolling Rock is awful, if anyone has had the unique pleasure of trying it on tap. I did at a golf course recently.