Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier 2xIPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Southern Tier 2xIPA

Post by midlife crisis »

I find this one to be somewhat underwhelming. It really is not all that bitter (I mean, for a Double IPA, which I presume it is). I'm not really interested in drinking such a high alcohol beer unless it packs a bit bigger flavour punch. To me it tastes a bit like a hoppy tripel. I much preferred the Gemini, or even (I think, it's been a while) the regular IPA.

What do others think?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I dont find DIPA to be super bitter like their single counterparts. The 2XIPA is much hoppier than the IPA, lighter malt is used by the look of things. DIPA is much more lush and complex than IPA. I think the 2XIPA is very solid, better than Gemini but not as good as Unearthly

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

It's hop juice, I'm tellin' y'all. You know how the macros only add a pinch of hops so their beverages will officially qualify as beer? Well, with this one, ST only adds a pinch of malt. I've never tasted a beer that uses more mid/late addition hops than this one. Whether this makes it a great beer is up to your discretion, but it's certainly an interesting experiment. Go Canucks!
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

The_Jester wrote:It's hop juice, I'm tellin' y'all. You know how the macros only add a pinch of hops so their beverages will officially qualify as beer? Well, with this one, ST only adds a pinch of malt. I've never tasted a beer that uses more mid/late addition hops than this one. Whether this makes it a great beer is up to your discretion, but it's certainly an interesting experiment. Go Canucks!
Now Im really excited to try this. Some of my biggest complaints of DIPAs are the over the top malt flavour (ie Tree Hophead). Hopefully this gets to Niagara soon.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

midlife crisis wrote:I find this one to be somewhat underwhelming. It really is not all that bitter (I mean, for a Double IPA, which I presume it is). I'm not really interested in drinking such a high alcohol beer unless it packs a bit bigger flavour punch. To me it tastes a bit like a hoppy tripel. I much preferred the Gemini, or even (I think, it's been a while) the regular IPA.

What do others think?
You're right. This beer has only a moderate bitter kick to it. I still love it though and prefer it over the pricey Gemini. I don't find anything subtle about the hops in this beer. They are big upfront. The citrus and pine notes are strong throughout and their bitterness is balanced by a honey like sweetness, reminiscent of Norebro's Vartripel. Overall, I find this to be an outstanding beer and prefer it slightly to the recent DIPA's we've had.This one is just more elegant and hoppy.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

midlife crisis wrote:I find this one to be somewhat underwhelming. It really is not all that bitter (I mean, for a Double IPA, which I presume it is). I'm not really interested in drinking such a high alcohol beer unless it packs a bit bigger flavour punch. To me it tastes a bit like a hoppy tripel. I much preferred the Gemini, or even (I think, it's been a while) the regular IPA.

What do others think?
I'm in the exact same boat as you, I bought 2 bottles and perhaps I was expecting a lot more with people's anticipation and ST's reputation (I really liked gemini although I find both a little on the sweet side). When I tried Bell's Hopslam, it really made me say wow! This beer is in the same category as Hopslam (and Pliny, which I haven't tried yet) but it just didn't "wow" me. I'm currently drinking a Tree Hop Head, and that has more of a IIPA taste to me. Dn't get me wrong, 2XIPA is a great brew, there are a lot more I find greater.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Thought I'd tell Londoners this is available at the LC next to White Oaks. The seemingly knowledgeable chap at the counter didn't even know it was out yet, so I think it's just arrived.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ErkLR wrote:Thought I'd tell Londoners this is available at the LC next to White Oaks. The seemingly knowledgeable chap at the counter didn't even know it was out yet, so I think it's just arrived.
Thanks you. Having it all transferred to my store first thing in the AM. Cheers!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

ErkLR wrote: Thought I'd tell Londoners this is available at the LC next to White Oaks. The seemingly knowledgeable chap at the counter didn't even know it was out yet, so I think it's just arrived.
I appreciate the heads up. There's only 2 bottles left now, but the beer guy (Harry) claims they're trying to order in more. Also, the Hop Yard that you were looking for is now re-stocked and refrigerated at the Wellington & Bradley store and I spotted a few sixers at the Fanshawe Park store today. So if you're still interested you can snag some at either store. Cheers!

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I like it, tastes like a cross between a DIPA and a Double/Imperial Pilsner to me for some reason.
We can get drunker than this!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Really interesting beer. Reminded of of a blend between a DIPA and a Tripel.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Sil

Post by Sil »

I think I prefer the normal ST IPA. I did a head-to-head taste test and found the 2X a bit too citrus-y for my taste.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I enjoyed this beer. The only problem i have with ST beers is the residual sweetness they all seem to share. With that being the said the hops in this beer are really nice. I love the aromas.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'd take unearthly over the 2X IPA, but I'm not going to complain about having the 2x available all summer!

jayB

Post by jayB »

Any chance we got some old stock of this? This is far more subdued than the beer I enjoyed so much in Syracuse in May. (Granted, that was on tap, but still...) I get a little bitterness, a tiny bit of grapefruit, and that's it. Really disappointed, and a little sorry I bought two six packs. I love Southern Tier, and I think I love this beer, but this incarnation is a let down so far.

Hoping the next 11 bottles are better.