Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier 2xIPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

jayB wrote:Any chance we got some old stock of this? This is far more subdued than the beer I enjoyed so much in Syracuse in May. (Granted, that was on tap, but still...) I get a little bitterness, a tiny bit of grapefruit, and that's it. Really disappointed, and a little sorry I bought two six packs. I love Southern Tier, and I think I love this beer, but this incarnation is a let down so far.

Hoping the next 11 bottles are better.
You're gonna be disappointed. I was expecting something way more than this.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I like it more than Unearthly and definitely Gemini. Doesn't have the overly-sweet character most ST beers do, and I appreciate that.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

decent IPA. just didnt seem hoppy enough, especially after all the hype. still a nice beer.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I haven't tried ST IPA yet, but just want to feel involved in this thread.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Belgian wrote:I haven't tried ST IPA yet, but just want to feel involved in this thread.
Post Whore :lol:
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

RayOhm wrote:decent IPA. just didnt seem hoppy enough, especially after all the hype. still a nice beer.
That about covers what I thought of it.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

cratez wrote:
ErkLR wrote: Thought I'd tell Londoners this is available at the LC next to White Oaks. The seemingly knowledgeable chap at the counter didn't even know it was out yet, so I think it's just arrived.
I appreciate the heads up. There's only 2 bottles left now, but the beer guy (Harry) claims they're trying to order in more. Also, the Hop Yard that you were looking for is now re-stocked and refrigerated at the Wellington & Bradley store and I spotted a few sixers at the Fanshawe Park store today. So if you're still interested you can snag some at either store. Cheers!
Ah, wish I had checked the forum before now, but I have this silly "work" thing I do in between drinking. Ah well, thanks anyways.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I had some great LCBO service yesterday. I checked drinkvine and saw that stores X and Y in my area were showing stock.

I went to store X and spoke to three different people. None of them could locate any. The last person offered to find out if the system was showing any in store Y. I said.. sure.. why not, I already know the answer but lets see where this goes. They did some fiddling on the computer and then told me that there was no stock anywhere in the city.

I said, are you sure? Yes. None in the city. Ok. I then proceeded to store Y and found 24 on the shelf.

Like all things in life - it all depends on who you get.. I just don't know why I get so many people like that!

BTW.. nice beer. Enjoy it very much.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Hello,

We can't comment on individual taste perceptions, but we can tell you with certainty that the ST 2XIPA is fresh.

In fact, shipment was delayed until bottling could be carried out.

The 2XIPA was shipped from Lakewood, New York on May 30.

Our team had a tasting side by side of a year old bottle of this beer and a fresh one and we were actually amazed that there was no discernable difference.

So just as beauty in the eye of the beholder...so is taste perception.

Have a nice weekend everyone!
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ralphus wrote: They did some fiddling on the computer and then told me that there was no stock anywhere in the city.

I said, are you sure? Yes. None in the city. Ok. I then proceeded to store Y and found 24 on the shelf.
Internet, like space travel technology is not so perfect.

In Beerum Veritas

jayB

Post by jayB »

Roland + Russell wrote: We can't comment on individual taste perceptions, but we can tell you with certainty that the ST 2XIPA is fresh.
Thanks for the clarification R+R, and I hope I didn't offend with my question. It just seemed to have far less flavour than when I last had it, which is what prompted my query. As I say, I have quite a few more bottles, so hopefully I will be able to enjoy the rest for the beer that it is, rather than the beer I (perhaps mistakenly) remembered it to be.

Cheers.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I have 18 cooling in the beer fridge. This is a summer quencher with a boot...hoppy- bright but sooooo frikkin' smooth...too easy to quaff a few of these+8% brews. I gave it a 4 just for making auch a big brew easy to quaff.
Aventinus rules!

Yapper

Post by Yapper »

I have had 2XIPA many times, and do find the recent bottles picked up at the LCBO a bit more subtle then what i have had in the past. Still a great brew but less kick.

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

a great IPA, very smooth with a good kick (ABV)

aser

Post by aser »

The category "2xipa" is what's throwing people off. If that wasn't on the label, people would rate this beer much higher. It doesn't have the kick you in the arse hoppyness ze beer nerds are craving, but I think it's very well rounded for a high abv beer. Hides its alcohol very well, with a dominant citrus note (I get pineapple).

I still prefer the single ipa but this is a great drinking beer for the summer. Glad to have it around, I'll be revisiting it a lot.

btw, I didn't like Gemini at all, overpriced and lacking imo.