Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Streets

Post by Streets »

I'll inquire about it next time I'm at the Winking Judge. Maybe get some word of mouth going for you!

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

'Tis delicious stuff!
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

I tried this last Thursday at the Wooly in Guelph. I was pretty excited to try it - I saw the posters in the bar announcing it was going to be available there as of June 23 and made a point to make it there. I wasn't disappointed. I didn't pick up the pineapple as much as some people did.

I was happy to get it in a tulip glass - although the Wooly served it too cold. It was excruciating to let it warm up and force myself not to finish it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I guess this new brew is the buzz right now. Also, it's very fresh and tasty, more just a nice unfiltered hoppy Pale than a fruit beer.
In Beerum Veritas

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I am wondering about the price people are paying for this beer.
The tulip glass provides a 14 oz serving, I am told.

I had it at Bryden's in the tulip glass and am sure the price was somewhere around $7, tax incl.
I had it last night at West 50, same glass, and it was $8.64 + taxes.
I nearly hit the roof.
I asked management for an explanation and I got a detailed layout of how the price was arrived at, for a 14 oz serving.
Comparably, Smashbomb is $6.75 + taxes there, larger serving.

HSPA is a good beer, but not good enough to justify that price.

What are others finding?

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

hopdevil wrote: What are others finding?
When I had it at the Wooly, it was something like $6.50 in that Spearhead snifter glass. Was comparable to other beers they have.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

hopdevil wrote: What are others finding?
At The Only they serve in the tulip at the same price as their other pints, $7 tax in. When I had it at The Rhino they served it in a pint glass (hurrah!) for their normal price.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I had it at The Black Shire here in London last Friday, and I can't really recall the price (something about having a lot of beer makes my memory fuzzy), but I always check over my bill and I don't recall being shocked, so it must have been in the < $7 range.

Also a very good beer, but I couldn't detect the pineapple at all. Though I think I don't have a very refined palette.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

had it at C'est What standard pint glass $8.20 for the pint...very nice...great first effort fron the brewery...picked up an ever so faint pineapple taste at the end...all in all good stuff...exciting to see Onatrio brewers making this quality beer

Flood

Post by Flood »

We are currently dispensing it on draught at Gambrinus as well.

$6.50 for a pint, and we're pouring this stuff like there's no end! :)
beer up

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rhino is cool with prices, I really enjoyed a pint there a few times.
hopdevil wrote:I am wondering about the price people are paying for this beer.
The tulip glass provides a 14 oz serving, I am told.
Yes, the stem glass is clearly marked at 400ml. Not a bad piece of glassware, is it.
In Beerum Veritas

gongu

Post by gongu »

Betty's on King St. E near Princess St. has the Haiwian Ale on tap.
A half pint is poured in the regular pint glass to where the glass flares
out. At $4.85 it's the best deal around. Cheers :D

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The Cloak and Dagger pours the same "half-pints" for about the same price...I love that amount of beer...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Spearhead is, frustratingly, the most expensive Craft Beer in Ontario. It will certainly deter me from having as much of it as I'd like.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Blankboy wrote:Spearhead is, frustratingly, the most expensive Craft Beer in Ontario. It will certainly deter me from having as much of it as I'd like.
expense is the exact reason i havnt had this beer yet