Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Spearhead costs what Beau's costs at most bars that serve them both, not to mention that Hawaiian Style Pale Ale is probably one of the top 3 beers in Ontario.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

PeenSteen wrote:Spearhead costs what Beau's costs at most bars that serve them both, not to mention that Hawaiian Style Pale Ale is probably one of the top 3 beers in Ontario.
Not in Toronto it doesn't. I've checked.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Belgian wrote:And Jer I don't lnow if price matters to their bottom line, in overall units sold VS profit per unit (ie do they make just as much money selling less for more, who can say.) Maybe the more 'frugal' consumers are not important if all product turns over regardless.
This contract brewed startup is very reminiscent to me of Sam Adams in the early '80's. Jim Koch was a one man sales machine out hustling up sales and challenging customers with taste tests 24/7. Everything was contract brewed by the big guys and the marketing budget was disproportional to its size.

In this case, I don't know whether Dimitri has the psycho drive that Jim had but their website illustrates a large (9) group for a startup at the top and 6 in senior management. This ain't cheap. Keg sales are not going to keep this group in BMW's long even at its present price point.

By contract brewing, you are keeping your margin tight but making your life simpler without the facility/production costs. I would expect a high priced packaged product soon as that is where the money lies.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Blankboy wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:Spearhead costs what Beau's costs at most bars that serve them both, not to mention that Hawaiian Style Pale Ale is probably one of the top 3 beers in Ontario.
Not in Toronto it doesn't. I've checked.
Beau's Festivale and Spearhead are the same price (7.25) at volo right now.

Festivale doesn't even come close to Hawaiian Style, even taking style into account

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

PeenSteen wrote:Beau's Festivale and Spearhead are the same price (7.25) at volo right now.

Festivale doesn't even come close to Hawaiian Style, even taking style into account
Same price yes, but the Beau's will be served in a pint glass, the Spearhead in their goblet.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote:And Jer I don't lnow if price matters to their bottom line, in overall units sold VS profit per unit (ie do they make just as much money selling less for more, who can say.) Maybe the more 'frugal' consumers are not important if all product turns over regardless.
I supposed that's possible. If its selling, its selling! Personally, if I am having one pint I tend not to look at the prices much. Its the nights I am planning to have more than a couple that I would tend to thinking "Hey Beer X is cheaper than Beer Y!"

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Blankboy wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:Beau's Festivale and Spearhead are the same price (7.25) at volo right now.

Same price yes, but the Beau's will be served in a pint glass, the Spearhead in their goblet.
even if you take into account the extra 100ml you get of Festivale its nowhere near as good as Hawaiian Style is, not to mention that its also 1.5% stronger than Festivale

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

C'est What serve it in a pint glass...8.60 ...I like and agree with above...you want Festivale order it, you want this order it...you dont like the price or the glassware it is served in...dont order it...

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

PeenSteen wrote:
Blankboy wrote:

even if you take into account the extra 100ml you get of Festivale its nowhere near as good as Hawaiian Style is, not to mention that its also 1.5% stronger than Festivale
Sorry to burst your bubble but not everyone finds this beer to be as good as you do - which for some reason you feel the need to reiterate every time you post.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Cale wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:
Blankboy wrote: Same price yes, but the Beau's will be served in a pint glass, the Spearhead in their goblet.
Sorry to burst your bubble but not everyone finds this beer to be as good as you do - which for some reason you feel the need to reiterate every time you post.
It's the best hoppy pale in the province right now and he digs it. Is there an issue with that?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

liamt07 wrote:It's the best hoppy pale in the province right now [...]. Is there an issue with that?
Yup.
liamt07 wrote: [...] he digs it. Is there an issue with that?
Nope.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

velovampire wrote:
liamt07 wrote:It's the best hoppy pale in the province right now [...]. Is there an issue with that?
Yup.
liamt07 wrote: [...] he digs it. Is there an issue with that?
Nope.
I see what you did there.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i still have never come across this beer and all the pubs they have listed on there site as carrying the product never seem to have it on when i visit.

has anyone had it recently?

also i noticed there has already been a shake-up within the Spearhead team. does anyone know anything about future products or the Hawaiian Style being bottled?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

matt7215 wrote:i still have never come across this beer and all the pubs they have listed on there site as carrying the product never seem to have it on when i visit.
I don't know about your listed neck of the woods but it was at Smokeless as of last Friday. From my handful of visits over two months it's been consistently there.
lister

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

matt7215 wrote:i still have never come across this beer and all the pubs they have listed on there site as carrying the product never seem to have it on when i visit.

has anyone had it recently?

also i noticed there has already been a shake-up within the Spearhead team. does anyone know anything about future products or the Hawaiian Style being bottled?
Nothing recently. I think Kick Offs had it back in August and that's the last I heard of it, but I don't follow what they get in too often.

Borealis had it soon after they opened as a rotating tap, but I haven't seen it since.