Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Kish84 wrote:
matt7215 wrote:i still have never come across this beer and all the pubs they have listed on there site as carrying the product never seem to have it on when i visit.

has anyone had it recently?

also i noticed there has already been a shake-up within the Spearhead team. does anyone know anything about future products or the Hawaiian Style being bottled?
Nothing recently. I think Kick Offs had it back in August and that's the last I heard of it, but I don't follow what they get in too often.

Borealis had it soon after they opened as a rotating tap, but I haven't seen it since.
Matt - Kickoff had it sat night at 10PM... not sure if its still on.
Bill is pretty good about updating facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1202394127

carguy

Post by carguy »

I had one yesterday at West 50 in Mississauga, and it was really good!

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I had some at the Food and Wine show last week. Fantastic beer...can't wait till they start bottling.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Good, but not 8 bucks plus tax per pint good.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I think the newest place to get this in the city in Milagro - that small chain of (awesome!) Mexican cantinas. It goes great with the food.

Yesterday we were there and I believe we were sitting next to Dimitri's (the brewer) family. As they had drove in from London and were complaining about the tulip-stlye glass he chose for the beer!!! :)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

@ Matt - According to Kick Offs Face Book, Spearhead is on as of an hour ago.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JeffPorter wrote: Yesterday we were there and I believe we were sitting next to Dimitri's (the brewer) family. As they had drove in from London and were complaining about the tulip-stlye glass he chose for the beer!!!
Just when I think stereotypical and condescending Toronto snobbery can't get any worse, I'm always proven wrong. If these folks were complaining about the tulips, it's because they happen to be ignorant about beer glasses, NOT because they're from London (as you infer). All of our beer bars serve beer in its proper glassware. Don't believe me? Check out these photo albums:

http://bit.ly/vklFJK
http://bit.ly/v87VyR

A quick inattentive scan reveals weizen, tulip, shaker, tumbler, snifter, dimpled mug, and pilsner glasses at the various bars. The stange that accompanies the Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René and other lambics at APK and Gambrinus is not pictured.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

cratez wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: Yesterday we were there and I believe we were sitting next to Dimitri's (the brewer) family. As they had drove in from London and were complaining about the tulip-stlye glass he chose for the beer!!!
Just when I think stereotypical and condescending Toronto snobbery can't get any worse, I'm always proven wrong. If these folks were complaining about the tulips, it's because they happen to be ignorant about beer glasses, NOT because they're from London (as you infer). All of our beer bars serve beer in its proper glassware. Don't believe me? Check out these photo albums:

A quick inattentive scan reveals weizen, tulip, shaker, tumbler, snifter, dimpled mug, and pilsner glasses at the various bars. The stange that accompanies the Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René and other lambics at APK and Gambrinus is not pictured.
Mike, you're coming off a bit, ummm.....douche-y.

I didn't see it as "they were from London and that's why they complained about the tulip."

All I get from Jeff's post is that he had dinner at some place, and sat next to a family from London that possibly may have been Dmitri's family and were complaining about the choice of glassware he chose. The important part is that it may have been family criticizing the glass, not that they were from London.

We can let Jeff reply, but that was my interpretation of it.

On a side note, I don't have an issue with the glass itself, my issue is with the pricing of the beer in that glass. It's been a while since I've had it here, but last time I did, that 14oz glass was the same price as a 20oz Smash Bomb, give or take a quarter or 2.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Kish84 wrote:
cratez wrote:

Mike, you're coming off a bit, ummm.....douche-y.

I didn't see it as "they were from London and that's why they complained about the tulip."

All I get from Jeff's post is that he had dinner at some place, and sat next to a family from London that possibly may have been Dmitri's family and were complaining about the choice of glassware he chose. The important part is that it may have been family criticizing the glass, not that they were from London.

We can let Jeff reply, but that was my interpretation of it.

On a side note, I don't have an issue with the glass itself, my issue is with the pricing of the beer in that glass. It's been a while since I've had it here, but last time I did, that 14oz glass was the same price as a 20oz Smash Bomb, give or take a quarter or 2.

I'm from London, know about proper glassware, and I think the tulips suck also

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'm guessing Jeff meant London, England where Dmitri lived before moving to Canada
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

icemachine wrote:I'm guessing Jeff meant London, England where Dmitri lived before moving to Canada
That might make sense - except Jeff said that they had "drove in from London".

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Kish84 wrote: I didn't see it as "they were from London and that's why they complained about the tulip." All I get from Jeff's post is that he had dinner at some place, and sat next to a family from London that possibly may have been Dmitri's family and were complaining about the choice of glassware he chose.
I interpreted the post differently, and it angers me when people shit on places that they don't know much about, and possibly haven't even visited.
icemachine wrote: I'm guessing Jeff meant London, England where Dmitri lived before moving to Canada.
I just assumed he meant Ontario because Steve is from London and Tomas worked here for Labatt, so it wouldn't be inconceivable if Dmitri was also from the area.
Last edited by cratez on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

cratez wrote:
Kish84 wrote: I didn't see it as "they were from London and that's why they complained about the tulip." All I get from Jeff's post is that he had dinner at some place, and sat next to a family from London that possibly may have been Dmitri's family and were complaining about the choice of glassware he chose.
I interpreted the post differently, but in light of icemachine's comment, I likely misunderstood what Jeff was saying, so I apologize to him.
icemachine wrote: I'm guessing Jeff meant London, England where Dmitri lived before moving to Canada.
I just assumed he meant Ontario because Steve is from London and Tomas worked here for Labatt, so it wouldn't be inconceivable if Dmitri was also from the area. However, I should've done my research before commenting.
Apparently I overlooked Jeff's part of the comment about the family driving in, so who knows. RDWDA(H)B)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

icemachine wrote: Apparently I overlooked Jeff's part of the comment about the family driving in, so who knows.
See my edited post. :wink:

Keeping the thread on topic, I agree that Spearhead HSPA is one of the most expensive craft beers from this province and the current price point is likely off-putting to many consumers. However, because I enjoy it just as much as Smash Bomb, I always grab a glass when I see it on tap. The 14oz tulips sell for roughly $6 at the three bars that carry it around here (not cheap, but not robbery either) and I don't mind paying a little extra for a beer that obliterates all other Ontario IPAs except FMSB.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Holy Crap - I've been offline a couple days!

Sorry - there was no disrespect to his family intended...I was merely relaying a story.

The reason why I kind of found it funny that his family had a couple rounds and then asked to have the beer served in pint glasses - full pints. And they got em which is kind of cool and, frankly, cute - like: "My son's beer is great, but what the hell's with this silly glass?" :D I also thought it was sweet that they said they drove from London just to drink the beer.

I was not trying to be preachy about glassware nor did I mean any disrespect to his family...

Now, LONDON, is a completely different story.

I'm a Laurier alum and as such it's my right, no DUTY, to loathe Western, ahem, University, it's garbage football team, and by extension the city it's in. Sorry. That's just the rule. Laurier folk hate Western more than that university down the road.

If Waterloo rules, than it's London that has to drool.

I can have my degree taken away if I don't speak out against the football team, it's faux-gothic architecture, and their baby-eating alumni.

Once when my wife and I were first dating, she introduced me to her friends as someone who went to Western and I honest-to-God spit and corrected her more loudly than I should have!

:wink:
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John