Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale

Post by Jon Walker »

I know a lot of you were at the BarTowel brew day and might have missed the Spearhead launch party or related unveilings...but did anyone try this beer yet? Reviews?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

It is a great effort and fantastic first beer. They should be proud.
I am heading to the launch at gambrinus in just a couple hours, but I have already tried the beer. Worth seeking out.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Soods

Post by Soods »

Very nice beer. Comes in at 6.5% ABV and 60 IBU's. Although the beer has some pineapple juice added to it, it really isn't very apparent. Other than that, I thought it was quite good. Especially sitting out on the patio yesterday afternoon, it went down real well.

As mentioned above, well worth seeking out.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

I would give it a 5 in every category. It is the best beer ever. :D

Just had a couple at gambrinus. A nice hoppy ale, lots of citrus, would drink it pretty regularily if it comes out in bottles.

bartle

Post by bartle »

meh.
enjoi

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

bartle wrote:meh.

Good joke.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I had a couple of glasses at the launch at Volo on Thursday, and another at Rhino today. It's a very solid West Coast Pale, great tropical fruit and citrus notes in the aroma and flavour, with the pineapple juice being a subtle and well-integrated addition.

My only complaint is that the finish is a bit sharp, perhaps due to the acidity from the pineapple, but even that seemed less pronounced in the glass I had at Rhino today.

I'll be happy to drink more of it this summer, great warm weather beer.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Tried it at the launch Thursday as well. Honestly it is much better than I was expecting. Thought the pineapple thing might be a bit gimmicky, but as stated above it is muted and well integrated (I really only noticed it on the nose). I really liked the tropical fruit palate and then the firm, bitter finish -- impressively hoppy for their first brew!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I seem to enjoy this one more than others, maybe because I'm a hop addict. Here's my review from Beer Advocate:

A- / 4.25 rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On tap at Gambrinus Bistro & Cafe. Sampled during the London launch party of Spearhead Brewing Company.

Pours a hazed amber orange with one finger of eggshell white froth and sheets of lacing on the tulip.

Smell is tropical fruit, clementine, pine needles, floral and resiny hops, faint doughiness, and red grapefruit. Mild pineapple aromas develop as the beer warms.

Taste is fruity, juicy, and citric hops upfront, orange peel and grapefruit mid-palate, big pithy, resinous, and astringent bitterness (somewhat sharp and acidic) with pineapple on the cough.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth, medium bodied, spicy middle gives way to a juicy and bitter astringency on the tongue. IBUs linger in the drying finish.

Overall, the Hawaiian Style Pale Ale is a very bold, flavourful, and hop-forward IPA with amazing drinkability. I will order this routinely if it gets regular rotation at my favourite local bars. Just as good as Smash Bomb IMHO. Well done, Tomas and Steve!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Has anyone spoken to these guys about plans to get this into the LCBO eventually?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

It was good. I am going to reserve final judgment until I have had a chance to have it a few more times, and see what Batch #2 is like. A promising start for Spearhead though for sure.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Pretty tasty, though I am not sure I entirely love the pineapple juice addition. Still, it has bold hopping for the Ontario market and is a good first offering. Like Jer, I would like to see some sustained success before we get too excited but it's a good start.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

JesseMcG wrote:Has anyone spoken to these guys about plans to get this into the LCBO eventually?
Yep. They would like to get it bottled and into the LCBO but they're focusing on draft for now as a way of growing the company and brand. If I remember correctly, they told me - support the hell out of the draft and it might lead to bottles :) I'm sure someone from Spearhead can chime in if I'm wrong.

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead »

Thanks so much for the enthusiastic and positive response and for your continued support. I'm thrilled you like the beer! Ritzkiss is right, we would love to have this beer in the LCBO, but this requires guaranteed volumes to avoid delisting, so once we get some critical mass behind us we will look into it. I would love to see this beer in bottles! Cheers! Dimitri
Beer Without BoundariesTM

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Spearhead wrote:Thanks so much for the enthusiastic and positive response and for your continued support. I'm thrilled you like the beer! Ritzkiss is right, we would love to have this beer in the LCBO, but this requires guaranteed volumes to avoid delisting, so once we get some critical mass behind us we will look into it. I would love to see this beer in bottles! Cheers! Dimitri
Very cool! I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but by everyone's descriptions so far, sounds right up my alley. Worst case scenario I'll get to try it at Session99 on the weekend! Thanks.