Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hop City Barking Squirrel Lager

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Hop City Barking Squirrel Lager

Post by mgmoney »

Had one of these at one of those chain restaurants last night and thought hey not bad...anyone else had this before? Thoughts?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Inoffensive if not a tad boring.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Among the selectoin on tap at Jack Astors I often choose this beer (or the Sam Adams seasonal). It is decent. Had a nice hop bitterness to it. Almost seems to be a cross betweena pils and a pale ale to me.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

It's OK - it reminds me a bit of Creemore, except with less character. Their Happy Hour Ale is better.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

GregClow wrote:It's OK - it reminds me a bit of Creemore, except with less character. Their Happy Hour Ale is better.

Can't seem to find that one anywhere!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

It's an okay, if simple, maltier lager.

I think I enjoyed their Persuasion Pilsner better but then I am more inclined to pilsners. Thought it to be, while not exceptional, a really solid and drinkable pilsner offering.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
GregClow wrote:It's OK - it reminds me a bit of Creemore, except with less character. Their Happy Hour Ale is better.
Can't seem to find that one anywhere!
I haven't seen it around much either. I had it at the launch party for their Pilsner, where all of their beers were available, and I've had it at Grindhouse, a burger place on King St. in Toronto, but I don't think I've seen it anywhere else.

cirrosis

Post by cirrosis »

i had 3 at Jack Astors one fine evening, worst headache ever the next day!
if you need me i'll be in the fifth circle of hell

cirrosis

Post by cirrosis »

cirrosis wrote:i had 3 at Jack Astors one fine evening, worst headache ever the next day!
but a headache i did not regret!
if you need me i'll be in the fifth circle of hell

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

found this in cans at the Pickering LCBO...I think it may be my gateway beer for the Molbatt friends I have into craft..maltier lager with a little hop bite..Yes I am trying to convert Molbatters one at a time...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

With the Squirrel line from Moosehead and Molson beating the drum with their pseudo craft offerings, I'm surprised that Labatt hasn't found a buy-out to front their efforts in Ontario.

The old Interbrew Keith's front for bringing in their Euro products (Stella, Hoegaarden, etc...) is old and they seem to have lost their focus despite this line from the AB-Inbev 10 guiding principles:

"Focus and zero-complacency guarantee a lasting competitive advantage"

Something is bound to be on the horizon.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Rob Creighton wrote:With the Squirrel line from Moosehead and Molson beating the drum with their pseudo craft offerings, .
Are you saying that Barking Squirrel is owned by Moosehead and/or Molson?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Hop City is a wholly owned subsidiary of Moosehead
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

To get around some of our relic alcohol laws where beers from other provinces were treated and taxed as imports. Moosehead purchased Niagara Brewing Co when it was located on Lundy's Lane in Niagara Falls. It served to allow them to sell as a domestic and improve their margin on beer sold in Ontario.

The facility wasn't set to produce enough product in Ontario so they sold the building to Niagara's Best (now the Syndicate) and moved to the just emptied Cool plant in Brampton. This became Hop City which they do their best to not let you know is a front for Moosehead.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

icemachine wrote:Hop City is a wholly owned subsidiary of Moosehead
I had no idea.