Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tempest

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

JeffPorter wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Cale wrote:This version at the LCBO seems a lot more tame in flavour, thinner in body, and lighter in colour. Not as impressed as I have been with previous batches.
i actually found the opposite to be true, i wasnt terribly impressed with other bottles i had tried but i loved the LCBO bottle i had on friday night
I'm pretty sure this is from the same batch released in June (even though, yes, I know the June bottles say 10%).
My mistake - new batch...

I haven't tried this batch, but a Tempest three-way does sound in order...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Cale wrote:I've had two bottles of this batch and based upon reviews and my own memory of having the previous batches, I have a really hard time believing that this isn't a shadow of its former self. Perhaps it was never the beer I thought it was, but this one has one of the thinnest mouthfeels I've had on an impy stout in a long time. The aroma and flavour are not as robust as I'd expect for an impy stout. I find this to be a very average beer.

Maybe my sense of taste is going, because I don't find the new batch of RPA to be quite as juicy as it was either - a complaint my girlfriend didn't have.
I had the same impression. I've had two bottles of the summer release and this doesn't seem as thick when pouring and more watery in mouthfeel.

Still good but changed.

Bolshevik Bastard still the thickest imp. stout in these parts...

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Droogy wrote:
Cale wrote:I've had two bottles of this batch and based upon reviews and my own memory of having the previous batches, I have a really hard time believing that this isn't a shadow of its former self. Perhaps it was never the beer I thought it was, but this one has one of the thinnest mouthfeels I've had on an impy stout in a long time. The aroma and flavour are not as robust as I'd expect for an impy stout. I find this to be a very average beer.

Maybe my sense of taste is going, because I don't find the new batch of RPA to be quite as juicy as it was either - a complaint my girlfriend didn't have.
I had the same impression. I've had two bottles of the summer release and this doesn't seem as thick when pouring and more watery in mouthfeel.

Still good but changed.

Have you had Hellwoods?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cmadd wrote:
Have you had Hellwoods?

...like maple syrup and motor oil had a baby...

But, yeah, if you haven't had Bellwoods, Bolshevik Bastard is pretty thick - and good, and a hell of a deal at the brewery...
Last edited by JeffPorter on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Streets

Post by Streets »

Thinking I shouldn't have grabbed 4 now, especially at six bucks a bottle!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Oh my goodness, this CAN'T be a bad beer...Even if it's a little different than its previous incarnations...

I've already had half a GLB Porter and a Karma Citra, don't make me open two different Tempests to alleviate people's anxieties...
:D

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

cmadd wrote:
Droogy wrote:

Still good but changed.

Have you had Hellwoods?
Yes, have you had 'the bastard'? Both are great but I think BB is thicker. That is not to say its better, verdict still out on that one.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

I had it last winter, and I didn't get that impression, but now I want to give it another go.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Just tried a bottle for the first time last evening....absolutely delicious...don't know how the body / mouthfeel could be mucher thicker...it wasn't as bitter as the info on the label suggested, nor did the 9%alcohol show in a harsh or assertive way (unlike the current Fullers Vintage at 8.5%), so I see no necessity to age this; it's perfect right now!!!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

schomberger wrote:Just tried a bottle for the first time last evening....absolutely delicious...don't know how the body / mouthfeel could be mucher thicker...it wasn't as bitter as the info on the label suggested, nor did the 9%alcohol show in a harsh or assertive way (unlike the current Fullers Vintage at 8.5%), so I see no necessity to age this; it's perfect right now!!!
yeah...still scratching my head at those who don't dig it.
its not the darkest, thickest or most complex porter in the world. its incredibly pleasing and drinkable and tasty.

if you're wanting Ol' Fiddy or motor oil, this ain't it. but i think its one of the best stout/porters that an Ontario brewery makes.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

+1 for that!

I'd also add that it's certainly one of the most complex with a lot of flavours going on - still haven't tried the newest incarnation, but the bottles from June are phenomenal, IMHO!

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

I am enjoying this. Like others have said it isn't a really "big" imp stout but close. Great mouth feel and balance, along with lots of complexities, but again nothing to crazy. Very drinkable and the 9.0% must be a typo because it comes across as a 6.0.

A really nice, balanced, enjoyable stout.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm really liking Tempest. Had a Welly Imp last night and it was good, but a bit...chalky and I had the same experience with the Bolshevik last time it was at C'est What. Found it really odd tasting, to be honest. Looking forward to trying the Russian Gun.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Tempest has finally found its way to Ottawa.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Finally getting around to having the "new" batch of Tempest, and yes, I have to admit, it's a bit restrained compared to the last batch. The "June" bottles are quite a bit more hoppy, and the mouth feel seems more full.

The newer bottles are quite nice, but I find them more "quaffable", so to speak than the other batches. Haven't done a tasting of all three bottles yet, though.

Maybe we need to do a get together. I even supply a 2011 bottle.