Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tempest

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Tempest

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Essayed at Volo tonight on draft, the new Imperial stout from Amsterdam. A rich, authentic tasting strong stout (9%). It favours the malty side over the hoppy one but will please most. Well done, Amsterdam.

Gary

P.S. For this who miss the draft, Volo has laid in a supply of bottled Tempest.
Gary Gillman

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Essayed at Volo tonight on draft, the new Imperial stout from Amsterdam. A rich, authentic tasting strong stout (9%). It favours the malty side over the hoppy one but will please most. Well done, Amsterdam.

Gary

P.S. For this who miss the draft, Volo has laid in a supply of bottled Tempest.
Bottles are supposed to be available at the brewery shortly
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

icemachine wrote:Bottles are supposed to be available at the brewery shortly
Shhhhh....

vincho

Post by vincho »

Is it worth a trek across town? I can't find any information about this beer besides its recent award or the two brief blog posts (review) for it.

It's not even listed on their website, the only way I found out was through this forum and by their Twitter announcement. I have faith in Amsterdam Brewing but it's almost unfortunate that it's not promoted as much as it could/should be (though I've never personally encountered this release before). It's just a little weird to find out about such a releas through Twitter by such other (niche) online avenues.

Regardless, I'm really curious about it and would love to just hear/read about what others have to say about it!
Last edited by vincho on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

It was available at the C'est What Summer Fest during OCB week I believe. Its a limited release so there isn't going to be a lot of push behind it. Grab a bottle and don't worry about the cost, you're likely going to enjoy something fairly unique.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

This beer was a one of a kind developed and brewed by one of the brewers. This beer is not a regular release and will not be a regular production beer.
710 botttles were made

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Another recent award:
http://www.usopenbeer.com/

Imperial Stout
GOLD - Dirac – Cigar City Brewing
SILVER - The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery
BRONZE - Tempest Imperial Stout - Amsterdams Brewing

They shouldn't have any trouble selling 700 bottles without advertising. :)

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Derek wrote:Another recent award:
http://www.usopenbeer.com/

Imperial Stout
GOLD - Dirac – Cigar City Brewing
SILVER - The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery
BRONZE - Tempest Imperial Stout - Amsterdams Brewing

They shouldn't have any trouble selling 700 bottles without advertising. :)
Wow. Coming in just behind the Abyss... ??? That is crazy. Good to see as well. Hopefully I can get my hands on this...

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I have a couple bottles in the fridge, and they look pretty epic. Eye of the hurricane label, black wax and some cool old school computer typeface. Regardless of how it tastes (and my hopes are pretty high based on what other folks have been saying) they've done a great job of packaging this.

What's the prognosis on aging? I was thinking drink one now, and age one a few years, but the high IBU level has me thinking that this would be better fresh...

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Derek wrote:They shouldn't have any trouble selling 700 bottles without advertising. :)
There are only about 5 cases left plus what is in the fridge at the retail store, they won't last long.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Man I wish I stopped by when I was in town over the weekend to see if they had it on sale. Don't think I'll get the chance anytime soon. I'd love to get one just for the bottle! Sounds pretty sweet. Guess I'll be drowning my sorrows in more 10BY.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Stopped by to get a half dozen today. About a case in the fridge, who knows what in the back yet. Looks pretty sweet with the waxing but the labels perhaps leave a little to be desired. But really, the look is meaningless... looking forward to cracking one to see how this bad boy tastes!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Bought a six of these at lunch today. Looked like there was about a case and a half in the fridge. Guy at the counter said it was going fast but did not elaborate on exactly how many were left.

Sign on the shelf said it would cellar for up to two years. It's $4.50 per 500ml bottle.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

After having it last night I can comment on the actual beer...

Lots of bitter chocolate and roast up front, dark fruits and an odd sort of (what I think is yeasty) metallic tang that I often get from many Canadian RIS. As it warms, more caramel and toffee come out. Definitely all classic English style, balanced, drinkable and it's certainly nice to have a local RIS option for however short a time the stock lasts.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Having one now. Might be the best thing I've had from Amsterdam. Really nice to see them putting out challenging stuff like this. I hope they do more.