Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tempest

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

J343MY wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
but Tempest really isnt that big of a stout, sure its 9ish% but it lacks the viscosity and high final gravity to make it cellar worthy like something like Bells Expedition would be

its a fine beer and it drinks better fresh then aged because the malt body is more like a black IPA, or robust porter then a BIG imperial stout
Apparently batch 2 finished just over 1.030 and at 10%, I would say its fairly big. I assumed it was something that would age well.

I agree with the LCBO batch being much thinner than you would expect from an imperial stout.
my comments were based only having had batch one from you and the LCBO batch, neither of those finished near 1.030

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

matt7215 wrote: my comments were based only having had batch one from you and the LCBO batch, neither of those finished near 1.030
Ok. I still have a bottle of batch 2 if you want to split it sometime.

Anyway... they still had a couple of bottles kicking around at and LCBO in Cambridge so I grabbed one today to check the final gravity.

not exactly what we were expecting.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Droogy wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote: Batch #1 - This was already passed it's prime in my opinion. Was pretty much a sweet mess. Lots of molasses, brown sugar and some chocolate. The roast was completely subdued and there was no hop profile whatsoever. The body was still more substantial than batch #3 and was similar to batch #2.
So is this to be interpreted that it doesn't age well?
In my opinion it doesn't. I certainly won't be aging any more.
Had a 2011 Batch #1 last night - drank really well with enough roasty-hoppy dryness to set off the malt. A bit the other way from Duffs' comments.

I'll open a 10% 2012 Batch #2 soon but I'm guessing it's at least as good.

I agree with Amsterdam this beer is not for super long aging, and why would you need to.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote: Had a 2011 Batch #1 last night - drank really well with enough roasty-hoppy dryness to set off the malt. A bit the other way from Duffs' comments.
Thanks for posting. It is always good to see different opinions on beers.

The biggest downside of doing a vertical or a side-by-side of different beers is that you end up comparing each beer to the others, rather than being able to enjoy the beer for what it is. Perhaps I would have had a different take had I just drank the Batch #1 on its own.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Had an LCBO batch Tempest yesterday and thought it was excellent. Nicely roasty with a pleasant coffee bitterness. I didn't find it overly thin.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:biggest downside of doing a vertical or a side-by-side of different beers is that you end up comparing each beer to the others, rather than being able to enjoy the beer for what it is. Perhaps I would have had a different take had I just drank the Batch #1 on its own.
I also think the exact temperature of imperial stouts can really weigh in on the perceived degree of dryness, cocoa/coffee, wine fruit and roast - in short the balance can seem off at the not-ideal temperature.

Different vintages of the same Impy might each favor being slightly cooler or warmer as the beer evolves and changes.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

andrewrg wrote:Had an LCBO batch Tempest yesterday and thought it was excellent. Nicely roasty with a pleasant coffee bitterness. I didn't find it overly thin.
I agree. I thought the body was great, it was the carbonation that got me. A bit lively, held back some of the flavours up front. Nonetheless a great beer, quite enjoyed it.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Drinking a Batch 2 right now. Less hoppy than I remember, but the rye is really poking its head up which is nice - I think this might be the batch that does this the most. Spicy and Boozy, and that anise aroma is really at the forefront. Aging a few from this batch might be interesting - hops will die away, but the rye might be the star of this one.

Kind of agree with the comments that this could be labelled a Double (or Tripel?) Rye Stout, and calm before the storm could've been called a Rye-Mild, but whatever you call it, it's still nice!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John