Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Thank you, Great Lakes

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Thank you, Great Lakes

Post by SteelbackGuy »

For successfully submitting Crazy Canuck to the LCBO. It is now my daily drinker. A high quality pale ale, in a can, with a very good hop profile and high session-ability, all at a good price. I ordered 20 cases to my store this week and they won't last long. Cheers

Len
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

SteelbackGuy wrote:For successfully submitting Crazy Canuck to the LCBO. It is now my daily drinker. A high quality pale ale, in a can, with a very good hop profile and high session-ability, all at a good price. I ordered 20 cases to my store this week and they won't last long. Cheers

Len
Hear, hear! Well-deserved praise for an excellent beer. While I love the Devil's Pale (which, at times, has a similar hop profile), the lower ABV and lighter body of the Canuck make it a daily drinker for me also. Great Lakes is a gem.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

have to agree 100%...my every day beer and the fact its available almost everywhere at $2.50/can it's my #1 beer choice right now...Hope it's around all year round going forward. Cheers and thanks guys!

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Great Lakes is two great breweries in one...both the Canadian one and the US one. I got the latest OCB mixed pack and the Crazy Canuck was definitely one of the highlights. I will be buying it on its own for sure.

jibblypop

Post by jibblypop »

They sold out at Dupont and Spadina :(

I had bought so many there that I thought my good fortune of seeing it there would go on forever!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

We are selling a shit tonne of this btw!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Good to hear of its success; it's replaced Headstrong as my "every day" beer.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

For what it's worth I definitely prefer the Crazy Canuck over the other recent entry into the Ontario hop scene, the Mad Tom IPA, and it's a better price too. Plus, cans are neat-o.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

ritzkiss wrote: I definitely prefer the Crazy Canuck over the Mad Tom IPA, and it's a better price too.
Agreed. I always notice a musty-leafy-grassiness in the Mad Tom that I don't really enjoy in a US-style IPA. I'm assuming these flavours and aromas come from the Sorachi Ace hops, which certainly add a unique 'twist' to the style, but they also make the beer seem more like an English IPA. My two cents.

Streets

Post by Streets »

ritzkiss wrote:For what it's worth I definitely prefer the Crazy Canuck over the other recent entry into the Ontario hop scene, the Mad Tom IPA, and it's a better price too.
Depending on how you're evaluating the price point I'd say they're at least on par. The Muskoka is 0.0008 cents more per millilitre, but it's also 6.4% compared to 5.2% for the Canuck.

Personally I've been enjoying both brews and am happy I don't have to pick a favourite. Of course when Smashbomb finally hits it'll probably replace Mad Tom in my icebox. ;)

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Streets wrote:
ritzkiss wrote:For what it's worth I definitely prefer the Crazy Canuck over the other recent entry into the Ontario hop scene, the Mad Tom IPA, and it's a better price too.
Depending on how you're evaluating the price point I'd say they're at least on par. The Muskoka is 0.0008 cents more per millilitre, but it's also 6.4% compared to 5.2% for the Canuck.

Personally I've been enjoying both brews and am happy I don't have to pick a favourite. Of course when Smashbomb finally hits it'll probably replace Mad Tom in my icebox. ;)
Your price point is off but I agree with the sentiment, there's not a major difference in pricing. I just like Crazy Canuck more, the Mad Tom is okay but it doesn't really do it for me. On the other hand, I know there are some on here that would happily choose Mad Tom over CC - each to his own.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

This stuff has been selling like crazy ever since Canada Day. Guess a lot of people were turned on to it after picking it up for the label - which is good. All my regular stores have sold out. Hopefully a restock is imminent!

Streets

Post by Streets »

Yep, both great beers at reasonable prices. I also really appreciate having access to a nice APA in the canned format, they're much more convenient for tossing in a bag to take out on the boat.

Just curious where my math is off on the comparison? Just did another quick calculation, and I came up with a difference of: $0.000724126294057509255674994292/ml. 2130ml of MT is $12.35 & 473ml of CC is $2.40.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Streets wrote:Yep, both great beers at reasonable prices. I also really appreciate having access to a nice APA in the canned format, they're much more convenient for tossing in a bag to take out on the boat.

Just curious where my math is off on the comparison? Just did another quick calculation, and I came up with a difference of: $0.000724126294057509255674994292/ml. 2130ml of MT is $12.35 & 473ml of CC is $2.40.
Ha, love me some math.

The Beer Store has Mad Tom for 12.95 a sixer, that's 2.16 or 2.1583 a bottle. The bottle has 355ml so rounded to .006 cents a ml.

We have Crazy Canuck at $2.40 for 473ml which is about .005 cents a ml.

So the difference is .001 cents a ml or about a tenth of a cent, not .0007

Really, like I said, much how the price of the two has very little difference, our calculations have very little difference. In fact, the price you had for Mad Tom could be the difference there.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

ritzkiss wrote:
Streets wrote:Yep, both great beers at reasonable prices. I also really appreciate having access to a nice APA in the canned format, they're much more convenient for tossing in a bag to take out on the boat.

Ha, love me some math.

The Beer Store has Mad Tom for 12.95 a sixer, that's 2.16 or 2.1583 a bottle. The bottle has 355ml so rounded to .006 cents a ml.

We have Crazy Canuck at $2.40 for 473ml which is about .005 cents a ml.

So the difference is .001 cents a ml or about a tenth of a cent, not .0007

Really, like I said, much how the price of the two has very little difference, our calculations have very little difference. In fact, the price you had for Mad Tom could be the difference there.
The $12.35/6er reflects the price before deposit, same as the $2.40/can

As an aside, I get $0.005798/ml for MadTom and $0.005074/ml for the Canuck, for a difference of $0.00724/ml or $0.724/Litre.

If you want to quibble over that go ahead, I'm just going to sit back and drink some good beers
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole