Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St. Ambroise IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

IPASlav

St. Ambroise IPA

Post by IPASlav »

They just tapped a keg of it at C'est What when I happened to be there with my family tonight...

I was chasing two boys (one who's potty training and kept balking) around the fish tank so please so I didn't take any really good "review" notes, nor was my attention really on the beer, but here's what I can tell you:

A: rusty amber colour, not much of a head, may have just been the pour...

S: Not much going on in this pint, (lack of head maybe, and it was really cold), but there was some nice citrusy floral notes.

T: It's not an AIPA, if that's what you're expecting. Apparently I've read that it's supposed to be a hybrid, but I see mad tom as more of a hybrid. This is English...still nice...good malt backbone...and again with the citrusy floral stuff.

Not sure of the ABV, but it seemed rather low. If it's higher than 6% then they did a good job of hiding it....

If you're expecting/wanting an American style you'll be disappointed, but if you can like it for what it is, you might enjoy it...I did, but I was happy to have just about anything in a pint glass during that meal...

Cheers everyone,

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

A friend ordered a pint at C'est What and I had a sip. Doesn't seem too bad at all. Very English. Dry with some sweetness, some herbal hop. I think it would be intriguing on a cask. Interesting, but I still ordered the Cheshire Valley IPA instead.

IPASlav

Post by IPASlav »

Just read that it was 6.2 abv....didn't seem that strong to me at all...

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Enjoyed it somewhat but was a tad disappointed. Seemed too off balance and everything just didn't mesh well together, IMHO. Maybe they can tweak it.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Looks like this will be pouring at "No One Writes to the Colonel" on College St. very soon. I will post a list here once the places are confirmed.

I did have a couple pints at the brewery last week for the launch with Peter McAuslan himself. He described that he wanted a "British style IPA with a NA twist" and is completely thrilled how this turned out. Being a British style, he wanted an IPA that had high drinkability ... even though it is at 6.2%.

There is the hop floral on the nose and in the finish yet very smooth on the palate while drinking it. Almost too smooth as it goes down so well IMO. :wink:

The IBU is 53 - so it is more than our Pale Ale but definitely less than NA-style IPAs that are out there.

There are only 56 kegs that crossed the border into Ontario - I hope you do get a chance to raise a glass of this special limited release.

Cheers,
Barry

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tried this at C'est What? on Friday. Didn't take any notes but I recall it being very fruity, herbal and floral with a balanced English hop character and medium bitterness. It drank really well, almost too easy for the weight, but hopheads looking for another Smash Bomb will likely be disappointed. Still, it's a good quaff if you're in the mood for a British-style IPA.

For those in the London area, this will be on tap at Gambrinus very soon. Cheers!

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Beer Bistro

C’est What

Barque

Woolwich Arms

Burger Bar

No One Writes to the Colonel

Bar Volo

Gambrinus

Cheers,
Barry

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Frere Ambroise wrote:Beer Bistro

Gambrinus

Cheers,
Barry

Excellent. Thank you!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

cratez wrote: For those in the London area, this will be on tap at Gambrinus very soon. Cheers!
SteelbackGuy wrote: Excellent. Thank you!
You're welcome!

carguy

Post by carguy »

I called the Woolwich Arms yesterday, and the person I spoke to on the phone had no idea what I was talking about. Said the only St. Ambroise they have is the Apricot Wheat and Pale Ale.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

A classic, English-style pale ale. The best pale ale/IPA brewed in Canada I've ever had. Reminds me of fine real ales in England and the old Ballantine IPA.

Not to be missed, and hopefully will become a permanent part of "la gamme" at St-Ambroise.

Gary

P.S. Must not be consumed too cold but even so there are plenty of hops in this.
Gary Gillman

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

The Wooly has some -- Ben is the bar manager there - great guy. Request to speak to him and he'll tell you when it will start pouring. Perhaps they are chilling the kegs...possibly waitiing for a line to open as well.

Cheers!

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Any chance of this being available in bottles in Ontario??

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It is like a big lemony English Pale. Lots of well worked-out hop flavors instead of a barrage of hop bitterness.

Newsflash: the IPA style is heating up in so-called East Canada, and a few years ago we were moaning how few there were.
Any predictions? ;) I mean, besides several kinds of tropical-fruit IPAs (that is already a given.)
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tried it for the second time at Gambrinus and picked up a lot more earthiness, in addition to the traits I described above. Quaffed a Mill Street IPA right after, which seemed to be the hoppier of the two despite its noticeable caramel, bread, and roasted malt character. I preferred the Mill St. offering.