Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Publican Square Nail cans

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Publican Square Nail cans

Post by JeffPorter »

Since I first tried Square Nail Pale Ale at Volo, I told myself that one of these times when I went to visit my parents in the Kawarthas, I stop by downtown Peterborough at the brewery.

Did that today and apparently they recently started bottling Square Nail in cans...(only had growlers before) so I picked up a bunch...

No freshness date, but I know they're pretty new...Very good in cans...in fact, when I had it at volo, I remember there not being any head, and out of the can it's big and foamy...

Profile wise, it's pretty much same. Biscuity, fruity, a little citrusy, refreshing...Local TBSs also sell cans of their House Ale, which is just a plain golden ale...not bad, but pretty plain-jane...Picked up a couple cans anyway.

Cans are 473ml and $2.60 all in, if you're in the area. Be nice to see them expand and into the LCBO, but I think they're still pretty small. Looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with seasonals...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I went there this summer also. The plae ale in cans is fantastic. Rivals Cannuck pale ale in my opinion. they have upped there quality for sure. Even there house ale was tasting good this year. I look foward to going back there every year.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

JeffPorter wrote:apparently they recently started bottling Square Nail in cans...
They must be an absolute bugger to get into :wink:

Must keep super fresh too :D

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Torontoblue wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:apparently they recently started bottling Square Nail in cans...
They must be an absolute bugger to get into :wink:

Must keep super fresh too :D
:lol:

It's funny - I thought about that when I wrote it and decided on "bottling" because "canning" would have assumed they had the beer in mason jars in a water bath for 45 minutes...

Don't think any one would like that! :wink:
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Publican House website says House Ale cans are available at select Beer Stores, but doesn't say which ones. Square Nail may follow.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

the chalk board at the brewery says "local" beer stores.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

JeffPorter wrote: Looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with seasonals...
I've been told that seasonals are on the back burner bacause they've had to up the production of the House Ale & Square Nail to meet the order requirements for TBS.

when asked when something else would be available from them, they answered "dunno"

my answer "too bad"