Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys Super Collider DIPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

irishkyle21

Flying Monkeys Super Collider DIPA

Post by irishkyle21 »

Another great beer from the crew in Barrie. I recommend seeking this one out. It might be hard to get but it sure is worth it. Great lacing, copper in color. The hops really come through taste wise. I'm not sure if my nose isnt working properly but I find it a little more malty than hoppy smell wise. Not the case for my taste buds though. Alcohol is noticeable but I'm not complaining. Try it out! One of the better brews to come from Ontario all of this is my opinion of course.
We can get drunker than this!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah I'm very WTeffing about the 12% ABV - do I need to get blitzed on one or two beers?? - but I will look for it. Peter Chiodo and crew are working at building a neat-looking product line. Oh yeah and tasty. But it's neat to have a jazzy looking beer label in Ontario that doesn't look like my nephew's primary school class project.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I quite enjoyed this beer too and expect they'll perhaps tinker with it slightly as they have with some of their other beers. Really liking what FM is doing these days.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:do I need to get blitzed on one or two beers??
Yes.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Yes.
I'm glad you're still posting Steelback, your comments and signatures make me smile.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Yes.
He's been shotgunning all that Faxe 10% lately. It's the Socially Responsible LC beer of the month.
In Beerum Veritas

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Picked up two bottles of this today. I'll be doing my review and uploading to youtube sometime this week as well. Peter also hooked me up with one of the Alpha-Fornication 2500 IBU's scared just thinking about it lol. Cheers!

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

I'm hoping to pick some up today @ FM... Will likely be gone but fingers crossed!

Edit: Picked up a few. There were a number still there...

Milos

Post by Milos »

We just tapped a keg tonight. If you are in London area, come and try it on tap!
So many beers and so little time!!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I'm guessing, on the LCBO front, this is still being holed up in the warehouse in Durham?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

JeffPorter wrote:I'm guessing, on the LCBO front, this is still being holed up in the warehouse in Durham?
I swear, I think Peter must have seriously offended the higher-ups at the Lickbow at some point, because they seem to love letting his stuff sit around long enough to get stale and lousy. Seriously, if it weren't for pints on tap at the Kick Off of Flying Monkey's, I wouldn't understand what the hell the fuss is all about. Every six-pack of anything I've had from the LCBO has ranged from awful to merely passable, and I'm convinced it's all a freshness issue, or rather, a having-sat-around-for-months issue. Sheesh. Rant over.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tried it for the second time on tap at Gambrinus. Very fresh pint served in proper branded glassware.

Big bready, doughy, and biscuity nose, similar to an altbier, with a little bit of stone fruit and bubblegum coming through. Surprisingly malt-forward aroma.

Taste is caramel and deep bready malts with piney-citric hops, lots of earthiness, and an abrasive, astringent, almost aspirin-like bitterness. Alcohol warms the insides after the first few sips but doesn't register on the palate. Rather strangely, some diacetyl was evident on the cough (though not enough to be distracting).

Creamy, smooth, and fuller than medium mouthfeel with a drying bitter finish and a little heat in the throat.

It's a good but not great DIPA that could use some work. For some reason I enjoyed it more out of the bottle at the Golden Tap Awards. I'm only posting my review because I know the brewers are perfectionists who will undoubtedly tweak the recipe and make it better. My advice would be to turn down the alcohol a few notches (say 3%), aim for a leaner malt bill, and use more flavour and aroma hops. I'm confident that Peter, Adil, and Co. will revisit this brew and transform it into another Flying Monkeys hit (maybe under a different name, who knows). In the meantime I'll be grabbing bottles from the 'BO to see if I like them as much as the ones that debuted at the GTAs.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I found it good, but boozy. I'd gladly take a hit in the ABV numbers so more hops shine through. Right now it reminds me of Middle Ages double wench - more of a barley wine (though a pretty good one!) than a strong ale.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

More of a message for cmadd, no review yet...he know's I've been pretty eager to try it...

Wife and I are at her uncle's for lunch on Sunday...He's got all these bottles lined up on the counter for a selection. Stonehammer, but also FM Amber, Hoptical, and Smashbomb. Wow, I thought. Uncle-in-law is into Smashbomb!

He then proceeded to tell me that he and his wife visited a charming brewery on the way back from Muskoka. I'd love it, he says. "Oh, and we brought you back something interesting we thought you might like..."

Hurray!!!

Bottled Aug 17 - I'm sure those are the bottles that we'll see soon in the store. I'm gonna drink it tonight...It really sounds boozy though...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

JeffPorter wrote:More of a message for cmadd, no review yet...he know's I've been pretty eager to try it...

Wife and I are at her uncle's for lunch on Sunday...He's got all these bottles lined up on the counter for a selection. Stonehammer, but also FM Amber, Hoptical, and Smashbomb. Wow, I thought. Uncle-in-law is into Smashbomb!

He then proceeded to tell me that he and his wife visited a charming brewery on the way back from Muskoka. I'd love it, he says. "Oh, and we brought you back something interesting we thought you might like..."

Hurray!!!

Bottled Aug 17 - I'm sure those are the bottles that we'll see soon in the store. I'm gonna drink it tonight...It really sounds boozy though...
Excellent! Now I can lay into my last bottle without a bit of remorse! I look forward to your thoughts.