Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Harvest Ale!

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Harvest Ale!

Post by JeffPorter »

It was at volo tonight, and while I don't have detailed notes I can only say that it was nomilicious and quaffable...Nom!

Also, while I attempted to order the junction cask, I'm pretty sure that they gave me the beau's dunkel buck...Unless the junction pale ale is brown, and has notes of bananas cloves, and chocolate...

Anyway, harvest ale...can't wait to get the bottles!!!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

JeffPorter wrote:It was at volo tonight, and while I don't have detailed notes I can only say that it was nomilicious and quaffable...Nom!

Also, while I attempted to order the junction cask, I'm pretty sure that they gave me the beau's dunkel buck...Unless the junction pale ale is brown, and has notes of bananas cloves, and chocolate...

Anyway, harvest ale...can't wait to get the bottles!!!
That was definitely Dunkel Buck. I went and tried some this afternoon. What'd you think?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sorry, cmadd, I thought I responded to you last night, but I realized now my internet went out midway through the response and so I thought F__ it....

What I did write, however, was that I wanted to reserve judgement...Firstly, I thought I was getting a pale ale, so that's always a little, um, cloying...

Also, I'm just not fond of lagers/bocks/oktoberfest beers in casks...

Having said that, it seems like the beer has a good backbone...really can't wait to try it in a nice chilled bottle.

In other news, Harvest Ale in bottles: awesome! But I have to add some notes, er, confessions...

Confession #1: I like this better than Mad Tom: I like Mad Tom a lot, but there's something about the balance of this beer that makes me just think of autumn (when I cooked for thanksgiving dinner for the family last year I had a bottle of this down at each end). Maybe it's the malty balance that just yells..."put on a goddamn sweater!"

Confession #2: I'm at the tail end of my second bottle. My lovely wife helped me a bit, but there's only so much I can encourage her to drink at 7 months pregnant...so, please don't judge me...I actually don't get drunk much with beer stuff...at events, I almost always have to drive, but well, please don't judge me now...

And while I detest the hoarders I can't guarantee my actions either with this or their winter DCCS.

Do you know what my most vivid beer/sense memory is? Muskoka DCCS and horses? Why? Because the first time I ever tried that beer (and then, subsequently, each year's release) was at the Royal.

Cranberries. Chocolate. Stout. Farm animals.

It's September. I'm a teacher and supposed to hate September but...

Bring on the cold weather, M___ F___ers. And the heavier maltier beers that accompany it. And the long, slow, braises that's going to be in my kitchen for the next six months.

(And you know what- fine - I'm going to say it -I like going back to teach the kids and September. Because, frankly, it's a privilege to get to teach these kids, and most of us take it for granted)

Food...

Grilling is fun and nice, but, like every fall, I want my kitchen back.

Soon it'll be time time to turn on the oven, open and sip a LTM Baltic Porter, or a Celebrator, or an 1845, and use parts of those bottles to braise some roast and fill your kitchen with the aroma of beer and the shoulder meat of some animal.

Anyway, please don't judge me for the sheer amount of harvest ale I've consumed tonight.

Cheers, everyone.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

A solid drunk post if there ever was one - complete with confessions! ;)
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Picked up a bottle of this yesterday. Going to review it and the Dunkel Buck some time this week. Cheers guys!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Picked up a bottle of this yesterday. Going to review it and the Dunkel Buck some time this week. Cheers guys!
Can't wait to read the reviews!

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I'm just wondering how long will beer stay fresh tasting? I picked up a couple of bottles of Harvest Ale and well they didn't make it through the weekend.

So I wanted to pick up some more and I don't know how long it will stay good for. I see some people posting that they are drinking stuff from 2010.

Thanks.
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Was surprised to find this on tap at Canyon Creek in Mississauga a few days ago. More and more of these chain restaurants are starting to add a craft tap or two.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Was surprised to find this on tap at Canyon Creek in Mississauga a few days ago. More and more of these chain restaurants are starting to add a craft tap or two.
I believe this may be a sign of the apocalypse.

heebes

Post by heebes »

lots of bready malts, auroma of muted wet hops. grain aftertaste slightly bitter.

bit of a difference from last years, step down imo. plus the price increase for some unknown reason...will it continue to rise every year?

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

heebes wrote:lots of bready malts, auroma of muted wet hops. grain aftertaste slightly bitter.

bit of a difference from last years, step down imo. plus the price increase for some unknown reason...will it continue to rise every year?
without bound, no doubt.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Just noticed that Muskoka Harvest made it's way to Alberta (edmonton, at least). Wonder if Muskoka is trying to expand its market. I didn't know iit had enough production capacity to get out of Ontario. Good on ya, Muskoka.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Had a bottle last night. It is a great beer but it is going the way of Mill Street BW where you pay twice what you should for fancy packaging.
Not interested.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

jibblypop

Post by jibblypop »

I finally picked up a bottle of this. What a smooth beer. Just excellent! Unfortunately, as has been mentioned before - it is quite expensive for the amount of beer you get so I doubt I'll pick it up very often.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Trying my first 2011 Harvest Ale as well. Have to agree that it is a superior pale ale, just excellent. Very fresh tasting and loads of malt to balance the hops. I think I prefer it to Mad Tom as well. Would also like to see this at a slightly lower price point in a "bland" container.