Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LTM Baltic Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The bottle I bought at Weston and the 401 was fine - the one I bought in Aurura was not, and I did not feel like taking chances with the other two - a bit of a lactic sourness that Scotch Irish was infamous for toward their end. A huge disappointment since this beer is awesome when it is on and I'm a big fan of most of their lineup.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Glad to hear that it wasn't just me, though it's unsettling to think that they have a potential quality issue. I was so dissapointed too, as I really enjoy big stouts and porters.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Streets wrote:... I'd hate to open a bottle a year from now only to find that it was off from the beginning.
Yeah, and the more recent LCBO policy is return in 30 days, where before it was indefinite. So much for "buy now and decide later."

Loophole: the LC can still exchange 'late' product without a receipt. The store credit goes on a card that does not expire.

Bad start here for LTM! Strangely, Unibroue also went through a period of infected 750ml bottles if you remember. Anybody know why?
In Beerum Veritas

aser

Post by aser »

The two I bought were from King & Spadina, which were fine. My friend's skunked bottle was from Cooper st.

Not sure if listing locations would help minimize risks. I don't think any of the stores got a re-stock yet. I'm going to hold off on picking up some more until this is sorted.
Last edited by aser on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

I just attempted to drink a bottle of this and it was definitely off. I have 1 more that I will be returning. For those that have returned bottles, did they demand to see a receipt? Can you return a bottle that has been opened already? Should I leave the rest of the bad beer in the bottle and attempt to return it like that?

aser

Post by aser »

It happens, corked wine gets returned often. I would keep the liquid in it just to be safe.

W/O receipt they'll give you a gift card credit.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Streets wrote:Well this is disappointing to hear. I wonder if I should bother keeping the bottles I grabbed for the cellar? The ones I've consumed so far were fine, but I'd hate to open a bottle a year from now only to find that it was off from the beginning.
This is going to apply to a lot of people.

Are all of the bottles "01/07/2011" ??

Is there any easy way for us to track good/bad stores?

Has anyone gotten both clean and infected bottles from tha same store?

And finally, can anyone report on Brock & Kingston in Whitby?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

This isn't good.

I bought 4 bottles with no intention of drinking any immediately. I was going to cellar 3 of them and drink one during the holidays. Now I am considering returning all 4.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Got my bottle at cooper st.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I bought a case!!!

The two bottles I've drank so far have been ok, but what's going to happen in a year?

I noticed a fruity tartness in the beers, but nothing that would say SOUR...

Anyways, I'm panicked now...someone with words of wisdom that could alleviate my anxiety would be welcome.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The_Jester wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

JeffPorter wrote:
The_Jester wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are.
I can't see any machine printing on the bottles. The only difference I can see on my two bottles (purchased at different stores) is one cork says "CBB01" on it's side (visible with the cage on), the other is plain. Haven't opened either yet.
JeffPorter wrote: Anyways, I'm panicked now...someone with words of wisdom that could alleviate my anxiety would be welcome.
When life seems scary and overwhelming, just remember: You're going to die one day.

lyndonk

Post by lyndonk »

Damn. Pretty upset about this one. Got three bottles from Bayview #355 store. Thank goodness I didn't buy the whole case... Many thanks to everyone posting to help flag infected bottles.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I got my bottles from Yonge & 7. I bought 4 bottles, so I'm going to try another one tonight to see how it is.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ErkLR wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: Anyways, I'm panicked now...someone with words of wisdom that could alleviate my anxiety would be welcome.
When life seems scary and overwhelming, just remember: You're going to die one day.

Phew...thanks... :wink: