Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LTM Baltic Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

lister wrote:I can probably only open 10-20% of them with my hands without hurting myself.
Wussy.

:wink:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Just wanted to mention that the bottle of Porter Baltique I bought in Montreal a few weeks ago was amazing. Slight tart cherry flavour, but that just added to the deliciousness.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

zaireeka wrote:
Belgian wrote:Speaking of Quebec brewers I had a bottle of Corné break off some glass when I pried off the cap.
Had the same thing happen, the whole top came off the bottle. Beer and glass shards are not a good mix!
Also had the same thing happen. Boo.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

cannondale wrote:Wussy.

:wink:
Soft IT hands, what can I say. :P
lister

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

biegaman wrote:
zaireeka wrote:
Belgian wrote:Speaking of Quebec brewers I had a bottle of Corné break off some glass when I pried off the cap.
Had the same thing happen, the whole top came off the bottle. Beer and glass shards are not a good mix!
Likewise. I know more people who have also experienced this. Seems like a pretty big problem DDC has here. Don`t think I`ll be picking up any more Corne. I hope Peche Mortel isn`t having the same issue.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cale wrote:
biegaman wrote:
zaireeka wrote: Had the same thing happen, the whole top came off the bottle. Beer and glass shards are not a good mix!
Likewise. I know more people who have also experienced this. Seems like a pretty big problem DDC has here. Don`t think I`ll be picking up any more Corne. I hope Peche Mortel isn`t having the same issue.
the bottle of Peche i had last night had similar issues, its a problem that DDC is well aware of but switching from the industry standard bottle to any other bottle is quite expensive

lyndonk

Post by lyndonk »

matt7215 wrote:
the bottle of Peche i had last night had similar issues, its a problem that DDC is well aware of but switching from the industry standard bottle to any other bottle is quite expensive
I don't think they need to switch away from the industry standard bottle. From what people are suggesting, they should use twist off caps... In my opinion they just need better standard bottles. Unibroue has no problems with their standard bottles. DDC just needs to establish a system to reject some of the very low quality bottles that they are receiving and/or only use new standard bottles.

Also, just had one of my bottles of Baltic Porter, it's certainly different but definitely not infected. The taste grows on you. I'm not sure I like it yet but I after a few more bottles I'll probably develop an appreciation for it. Had Unibroue 17 in the same night along with Celebrator. Was a terrific evening.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Back to the LTM Baltic Porter. There is a definite tart cherry sourness in the mix, but I'm inclined to think it is intentional (and that element was no doubt present in historic Baltic porters). To me it adds to the complexity of the beer, which is superior to the 2010 (I bought a case of the 2010 in the private order). Now, if that tart flavour is in fact an infection and starts to overwhelm the beer as it ages, then that is a problem obviously. But I'm guessing that won't happen.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

midlife crisis wrote:Back to the LTM Baltic Porter. There is a definite tart cherry sourness in the mix, but I'm inclined to think it is intentional (and that element was no doubt present in historic Baltic porters). To me it adds to the complexity of the beer, which is superior to the 2010 (I bought a case of the 2010 in the private order). Now, if that tart flavour is in fact an infection and starts to overwhelm the beer as it ages, then that is a problem obviously. But I'm guessing that won't happen.
I disagree that it is intentional. I have had the 2009 and 2010 and neither had that tart cherry flavour. If this is intentional, it is a significant change to the recipe that you think LTM would have mentioned somewhere.

The strange thing about it is that the beer is still very drinkable. I drink half of my bottle last night. But I returned the other 3 I bought this morning. And apparently the LCBO is going to "destroy them." So I was told...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The bottle does say hints of cherry wood, but I don't know if that explains the tartness..It's funny because I quite like it.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

JeffPorter wrote:The bottle does say hints of cherry wood, but I don't know if that explains the tartness..It's funny because I quite like it.
I believe too that it say smoked cherry wood malt. I read that on the label than saw people on here saying cherry tartness. I didnt get any cherry flavours, but wondered if the power of suggestion is at work here. if so that is where the smokey flavour is comming from in the finish.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Well, if it's off, than I wish my homebrew would go "off" in a similar way. Cause this beer's delicious.

(Also, should this discussion be in the WW thread?)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JeffPorter wrote:(Also, should this discussion be in the WW thread?)
No, it didn't belong in the Winter Warmers thread. So I've split it off to this new one.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Best porter I have tried all year...Better than winter Beard IMHO...loved the roasty coffe choclate flavours, amd like others did perceive a sour cherry note (is it all in my head?) maybe...found it dangerously drinkable and finished the entire 750 ml by myself...that's what I call danger beer...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I disagree that it is intentional. I have had the 2009 and 2010 and neither had that tart cherry flavour. If this is intentional, it is a significant change to the recipe that you think LTM would have mentioned somewhere.
I understand that they have both changed their malt bill to use all Quebec malts and also moved the location of their brewery since 2010, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some significant differences in this year's version. Like Jeff Porter, I find it absolutely delicious (and it will be as long as that tart cherry aspect stays in balance, IMO). Also, as I think I said above, I have the 2010 as well and you're right, it is quite a different beer.