Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Unibroue Blanche de Chambly

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lecocq

Unibroue Blanche de Chambly

Post by Lecocq »

My Beer Store just started carrying Blanche de Chambly and I had never tried it before last night. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on it. I enjoyed it and would buy it again but it just seems like there is a little something missing. I'm a regular Mill Street Wit drinker and enjoy that one a bit more I think.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Maybe it's because it was one of the beers that got me into craft in the first place, but it's a quintessential witbier for me. Love the stuff.

maple99

Post by maple99 »

It has a very simple taste, perhaps a bit less interesting than others of the style. I always love the champagne-like texture, though. To me, it seems to have smaller bubbles than most beer, for whatever reason.

uno99

Post by uno99 »

For me, this is one of the best wheat beers in the world. Always a favorite of mine.

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

Lecocq wrote:My Beer Store just started carrying Blanche de Chambly and I had never tried it before last night. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on it. I enjoyed it and would buy it again but it just seems like there is a little something missing. I'm a regular Mill Street Wit drinker and enjoy that one a bit more I think.
I remember when Unibroue first released Blanche -- it knocked my socks off that a local brewery was making Belgians with the, at the time, radical process of bottle conditioning their beers. Every time I quaff a Blanche, I always get a big, loopy grin remembering those first six packs. I'm simply too biased to offer up on honest opinion of the beer.

It's worth remembering Blanche was among the very first widely available craft beers in Canada (at least if you lived in Montreal) that wasn't riffing off a British style.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Blanche de Chambly is a fantastic witbier. I love that the orange and corriander isn't over the top (unlike many witbiers), instead relying more on the phenolics and esters produced by the yeast. Gives it a much more refined taste. The soft wheat and ample carbonation creates a great mouthfeel that is textured, yet light.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

markaberrant wrote:Blanche de Chambly is a fantastic witbier. I love that the orange and corriander isn't over the top (unlike many witbiers), instead relying more on the phenolics and esters produced by the yeast. Gives it a much more refined taste. The soft wheat and ample carbonation creates a great mouthfeel that is textured, yet light.
This. I don't drink it that often anymore but it's a good summer patio beer, one that's fairly easily available around town.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

its not complex and its a great wheat beer.
if i have to buy something from the beer store, its my go-to beer.
makes a great summer beer.
definitely a first class cnd beer.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

This thread inspired me to order a glass of BdC to go with my BdC onion soup at Fourquet Fourchette last week.

Excellent witbier and a great match.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Easy drinking and delicious. A regular for me in the summertime.