Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St. Ambroise RIS 2011

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

St. Ambroise RIS 2011

Post by JeffPorter »

It's just as I remember it. Blackest stout I've ever had. The bourbon wood slays me every single time.

It makes so many other stouts seem just so-so.

Some hear have mused that the price is an issue - that at $6, we should be getting 500ml. That sounds fine, but would you actually drink MORE of it? I don't know...I like the small serving size. A pint of it would just seem weighty.

I do have a question - is this barrel aged or just bourbon wood chipped?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Beer-B-Q

Post by Beer-B-Q »

I still have 3 bottles of this stuff from last year's run. Can't wait to crack one open on New Years Eve and see how it has changed!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:Some hear have mused that the price is an issue - that at $6...

I do have a question - is this barrel aged or just bourbon wood chipped?
Don't know how they oak age it, but true barrel-aging would probably increase the worry over cost.

Stout Impériale Russe may be a steal compared to the (also great) St Amby Vintage and Scotch ales.
In Beerum Veritas

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

It is definitely aged with chips, not barrels. Though, let's be honest, how many of you would be able to taste the difference? Pretty hard to pick out.

Nonetheless, this is a great Canadian beer that ages really nicely. I have all three years now and am looking forward to tasting the vertical.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Just picked up 8 of these. A perfect winter beer... I really do with that they would do away with the ridiculous containers that these some in (and we obviously pay for)...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: I really do with that they would do away with the ridiculous containers that these some in (and we obviously pay for)...
they're actually pretty useful...we use them to hold knitting needles.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ritzkiss wrote:It is definitely aged with chips, not barrels. Though, let's be honest, how many of you would be able to taste the difference? Pretty hard to pick out.
Might depend on the age and oak species of the barrel. There's a skill in coopering barrels to enhance the taste of beverages - and for example the raw open grain of American oak to me can have a very abrasive taste, so sawing up a barrel will taste different!

To me the SIR tastes a bit raw and woody, but nothing too bad and it smooths with age. They use a little judgment, and don't clobber it.

However in this beer culture ^ that's the taste we're getting accustomed to, overbearing in-your-face wood tannins - unlike say expensively barrel-aged whiskeys or wine.
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I love this beer I picked up 5 at first and picked up another 3 today. So far I have only opened one but I could easily drink this every other day if I could.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

I really do with that they would do away with the ridiculous containers
Hi folks, fyi... found this out - the tube containers actually serve a purpose - they are designed to eliminate light while being stored so the beer is not affected.... that is if you have the patience and willpower to store them. :wink: Peter McAuslan told me these can be aged up to 7-10 years when they peak. I have a couple left from 2009 that I want to try at the 5 year period.

I will find out about the bourbon aging - whether chips or barrels.

Cheers,
Barry

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Thanks for the info Barry! Now if only these would come around my area!!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Frere Ambroise wrote:
I really do with that they would do away with the ridiculous containers
Hi folks, fyi... found this out - the tube containers actually serve a purpose - they are designed to eliminate light while being stored so the beer is not affected.... that is if you have the patience and willpower to store them. :wink: Peter McAuslan told me these can be aged up to 7-10 years when they peak. I have a couple left from 2009 that I want to try at the 5 year period.

I will find out about the bourbon aging - whether chips or barrels.

Cheers,
Barry
Hmm ... that's itneresting and I guess I can't argue with that. I plan to age a bunch of these myself. 7-10 years requires a lot of patience.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I plan to age a bunch of these myself. 7-10 years requires a lot of patience.
You clearly aren't buying enough beer then.

Seriously, get a pipeline going and start a bit of a cellar. Everything I put in my cellar gets added to a spreadsheet that tracks some basic info, including the future month I plan to pull from the cellar. Each month I refer to the spreadsheet and pull the ones that are "ready to drink." Pretty easy to manage, and like I say, if you have enough other beer around, there is no temptation. I honestly have trouble drinking all the beer I have on hand, even though I do my best to share.

That being said, I personally wouldn't age this particular beer beyond 5 years, it probably peaks around 2-3 years, it just aint big enough. Not saying it wouldn't hold up 7-10 years, just can't see those additional years contributing much of anything positive.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

with a beer like this that is only in its 3rd vintage no one can say that it will improve for 7 - 10 years because it hasnt even been around for that long

has anyone even done the mini 3 year vertical to find out if this beer is even improving?

if not i might have to arrange a blind vertical tasting this weekend

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

matt7215 wrote: if not i might have to arrange a blind vertical tasting this weekend
I was just thinking the same, I need to throw a blind tasting of the three. I know after a year it was definitely improving but 7-10 yrs seems a bit of a stretch for a 'peak'. Might still be good but you have to think the peak comes before then.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:with a beer like this that is only in its 3rd vintage no one can say that it will improve for 7 - 10 years because it hasnt even been around for that long
Absolutely, I was simply offering my educated guess as to this beer's aging potential.