Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Welly Mammoth Winter Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Welly Mammoth Winter Stout

Post by NRman »

Looking forward to this one.
Release tomorrow AM at 10

http://www.wellingtonbrewery.ca/?p=2222

We’ve been crafting a secret brew for the last few weeks and we’re happy to share it with you just in time for the holidays. We’re excited to announce the release of our brand new Welly Mammoth Winter Stout available exclusively at our brewery retail store as part of our Welly One-Off Series.

Welly Mammoth is a huge and complex winter stout with subtle hints of balsam fir and a refreshing peppermint finish. With a huge body and rich chocolate malt this full bodied stout embodies the majestic presence of this pre-historic beast. Brewed using balsam fir boughs and peppermint, this massive winter stout is black in appearance and is heavily fortified with 9% alc/vol . Welly Mammoth Winter Stout is sure to bring some warmth to fight off the deep chill of winter.

This brand new stout is a very limited batch and will be available exclusively at our brewery retail store in 473ml tall cans starting Friday December 23rd. It will not be available on tap and is only at our retail store. Like the Woolly Mammoth this huge beer is soon to be extinct, so get it while supplies last.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

I was excited until the peppermint..

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

I'm excited about this one. I like brews that use local flora as flavouring agents (assuming the balsam and peppermint are "real"). This could be very intriguing.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Sounds interesting I guess, but 9% is hardly mammoth/massive.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Cale wrote:I was excited until the peppermint..
QFT. Mint is an abomination unto... well everything except toothpaste.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

First impression.
This stuff is pretty good! Try some if you can.

Not a huge fan of many Welly beers (except RIS and IPA) The mint is way in the back and subtle....a nice addition in my opinion. The balsam fir is nicely present and adds a lot to the beer. I like "coniferish" beer so that's all good. (Really looking forward to the Garrison Spruce Beer BTW)

The base is a solid stout and as good a beer as Welly makes.
A good effort from a brewery that has been around a long time and is now raising their game (see Great Lakes and Muskoka in the past 2-3 years).
Last edited by NRman on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

NRman wrote:...A good effort from a brewery that has been around a long time and is now raising their game (see Great Lakes and Muskoka in the past 2-3 years).

No thread hijacking intended, but you raise a great point. Seems like the craft brewers are indeed raising their game. My local brewer, Cameron's Brewing, finally broke free of its conservative mentality and brewed its new Deviator.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

I quite liked it. Didn't get any of the peppermint. The balsam fir was noticeable but not overpowering. good stuff
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

zane9 wrote:
NRman wrote:...A good effort from a brewery that has been around a long time and is now raising their game (see Great Lakes and Muskoka in the past 2-3 years).

No thread hijacking intended, but you raise a great point. Seems like the craft brewers are indeed raising their game. My local brewer, Cameron's Brewing, finally broke free of its conservative mentality and brewed its new Deviator.
the best is yet to come.
Cameron's shown they can raise their game beyond their (relatively boring) shelf offerings. their Cask Days sour had LOTS of potential.

Amsterdam bought a brewing system recently and expect them to enter this conversation really, really soon.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

WRT Amsterdam, the Tempest was incredible, possibly my favourite Ontario beer this year.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ErkLR wrote:
Bad, sharp flavors of peppermint are an abomination for sure.

But mint can be used extremely well as a subtle flavoring. I could see it in a rich porter or stout, to underline the hops. I even get candyshop pepperment gummy flavors from some beers like Achel Blonde and Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen Weisse.

That's right, hops can be minty. Even red wines from Bordeaux etc. can also seem to have a bit of mint and other herbs.
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Belgian wrote:But mint can be used extremely well as a subtle flavoring. I could see it in a rich porter or stout, to underline the hops.
I know of a BC brewery that will be producing an imperial stout with mint, should be released in April 2012.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Belgian wrote:
ErkLR wrote:
Bad, sharp flavors of peppermint are an abomination for sure.

But mint can be used extremely well as a subtle flavoring. I could see it in a rich porter or stout, to underline the hops. I even get candyshop pepperment gummy flavors from some beers like Achel Blonde and Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen Weisse.

That's right, hops can be minty. Even red wines from Bordeaux etc. can also seem to have a bit of mint and other herbs.
Well it seems to be not too up front from the reviews. I hope to try it and be proven wrong.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

ErkLR wrote: Well it seems to be not too up front from the reviews.
Normally a beer like this would show up as part of the "Over The Hop" series at APK - and apparently they're doing another one for the winter - but I see the website says this is only available at the brewery. Pretty disappointing since I was looking forward to trying this stout. :(

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I live fairly close to the brewery and would be open to working out trades with people interested in trying this. Just send me a PM.