Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Garrison feature beers

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Garrison feature beers

Post by JeffPorter »

I thought I would open up a thread on all the garrison reviews, rather than five different ones, but if it gets too messy, feel free to open separate threads.

I've had the Baltic Porter and the Black IPA before. So far, I'm most impressed by the Pils. It's REALLY great! Light golden, the hop bite is huge up front and then mellows - impressive is the head and when you pour the carbonation is going crazy like champagne! I'm thinking of storing some of these in the fridge and hope they keep for the warmer spring months.

For me, the spruce beer is TOUGH...I dunno..maybe it's because after the ease of the pils, but I'm finding it difficult. Really cool and interesting though. I think the tough part isn't so much the spruce and fir, but the molasses. It's so thick and viscous! The spruce by the way can be tasted LONG after your sip.

It's cool! But might not be the one I get more of with this release!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I was really unimpressed with the Pilsner. It might just be that I don't like the style, but I found it bland. It was pleasantly dry and had a bit of a bitterness to it, but mostly it just didn't taste like anything.

studious

Post by studious »

I really enjoyed the Spruce beer! Definitely a weighty, slow sipping winter brew though. I split a bottle with a friend, so that made it more manageable.

The Baltic Porter was way too meaty, soy tasting for me. I bought two bottles so I might see what a year or so does to the other.

The winter warmer was decent, but it mainly reminded me just how great Grand River Jubilation Ale is.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I found this Baltic Porter really well-integrated, full and rounded, molasses-dark fruity with some mineral and grape. Nothing challenging like some classic European ones (Thisted Limfjord, Okocim) but very full with lots of layers of taste. A great USA-style interpretation of a VERY widely-interpreted style (and one worth exploring.)

I was also surprised to note Trois Mousquetaires' is a Top 5 world-beater!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Pils is really excellent - has a very fresh, crisp hop bitterness, dry-perfumey finish and the middle is a bit like grape and wild honey.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian: couldn't have described the pils better. It just has a great punch to it that some IPAs don't deliver. For me, it's the sleeper of the release.

I'm drinking my second spruce beer and liking it a lot more. I think bringing to temperature down helps a bit, but I'm getting more smokiness in it both in the nose and taste. Finish is all pine needles, but I'm liking it more and more.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The pilsner wasn't bad - fairly crisp and clean. Just the wrong time of year for it.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I had the spruce a few nights ago (on top of a whole bunch of other beers) and it was definitely intriguing but I found too much of a molasses-like taste to it. And I like molasses. Opened the Pils last night thinking "Why am I opening a pilsener?" but it is an excellent beer, with just enough hop bite to keep it interesting.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JeffPorter wrote:Belgian: couldn't have described the pils better. It just has a great punch to it that some IPAs don't deliver. For me, it's the sleeper of the release.

I'm drinking my second
spruce beer and liking it a lot more. I think bringing to temperature down helps a bit, but I'm getting more smokiness in it both in the nose and taste. Finish is all pine needles, but I'm liking it more and more.
:D

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

Belgian wrote:The Pils is really excellent - has a very fresh, crisp hop bitterness, dry-perfumey finish and the middle is a bit like grape and wild honey.
I picked up 3 yesterday, the porter, the winter warmer and the black ale, yet to try any but rather like their imperial IPA..

Cheers,
Live or Die by Good Beer

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Picked up one of each yesterday while in toronto. right now I am enjoying the black ipa. nice beer, but there is definetly a metallic note in my bottle. hopefuly it is just this one. I have a few more to go through.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Tasting the Black IPA now. Very big hit of resinous, acidy West Coast hops, which may explain the metallic-like notes noted. Certainly some charred malt flavours but the Stateside hops dominate this puppy.

It's well-made and will appeal to hopheads.

I prefer the style of Black IPA which is closer to a porter or stout (i.e., more roasty sweetness and less hop taste) but it illustrates well what is likely the original character of Black IPA.

Many here will know Stone Black IPA and this is similar IMO but lighter all 'round, with e.g., about 4% less ABV.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

phat matt wrote:Picked up one of each yesterday while in toronto. right now I am enjoying the black ipa. nice beer, but there is definetly a metallic note in my bottle. hopefuly it is just this one. I have a few more to go through.
Yes, I'm thinking I'll try the Black ale first....although myself and a couple of others have a problem with the name Black IPA..tell me how you get a Black India Pale Ale?...sounds like an oxymoron to me :lol:

I was speaking to someone who went to Garrison's last summer and managed to get their Imperial IPA on tap, lucky, lucky!

Cheers,
Live or Die by Good Beer

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Tasting the Black IPA now. Very big hit of resinous, acidy West Coast hops, which may explain the metallic-like notes noted. Certainly some charred malt flavours but the Stateside hops dominate this puppy.

It's well-made and will appeal to hopheads.

I prefer the style of Black IPA which is closer to a porter or stout (i.e., more roasty sweetness and less hop taste) but it illustrates well what is likely the original character of Black IPA.

Many here will know Stone Black IPA and this is similar IMO but lighter all 'round, with e.g., about 4% less ABV.

Gary
I have to agree. Also, I found the Nightman to be much more on the roastier side which I think I prefer. The hop profile in the Garrison is nice, though.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Liverdie wrote:...although myself and a couple of others have a problem with the name Black IPA..tell me how you get a Black India Pale Ale?...sounds like an oxymoron to me :lol:
There are plenty of IPAs that are not all that pale in hue. Name just seems to be a style reference (hence, BIPA is just an IPA approach hybridized with some darker malts.) You could call it 'Blackened IPA' but Lars Ulrich would probably sue.

Looking forward to this one, Garrison do exciting stuff.
In Beerum Veritas