Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys "Effinguud" Milk Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Flying Monkeys "Effinguud" Milk Stout

Post by pootz »

As a rule, I never post a review of a beer I’ve only sampled once - But I'm making an exception in this case because I want to accomplish 2 things –

1) I want the brewer to know how good this beer was (if he already doesn’t know) - that either by chance or design he hit the money button with this brew, and

2) I hope to stir up enough interest in this style of beer and this particular brew, that people may start bugging the brewer (or other brewers) to release a milk stout commercially.

I’m talking about Milk stout in general and Flying Monkeys milk stout in particular ;

Sampled on tap at FMB tasting. Poured an almost opaque jet black with a small tight beige cap. Aroma is delicious – light lactic sweetness, big roasty-cocoa tones over some mellow grassy yeasty undertones. Medium bodied with a rich mouth feel, smooth and silken on the palate. Front side of the profile has great malty-nutty-roasty notes with a wonderful creamy sweetness that rides just below the malts and never gets cloying…. hops are present but are in the background adding a pleasant bitter-herb compliment. Long wet finish rich in creamy-roasty decadence with a light hop bite right at the end. Wonderful brew!

Milk stout is one of my favorite drinks and totally underrepresented in this market (I can never find enough to drink regularly). This FMB offering is milk stout as it should be – as I would brew it for myself…. a smooth rich silken flavor bomb, creamy sweetness in tow with decadent roasty-cocoa character. This brew impressed me. I bet it would run great sales numbers if it was ever made widely available.

Talk to Peter at FMB if milk stout turns your crank.
Aventinus rules!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

this was a pretty impressive beer, i would have drank pints of it if there werent so many interesting choices to get through at the tap takeover

please try it if you get the chance

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

pootz wrote:As a rule, I never post a review of a beer I’ve only sampled once -
... from the Brite Tank?
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:
pootz wrote:As a rule, I never post a review of a beer I’ve only sampled once -
... from the Brite Tank?
:lol:

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

This sounds like a great beer - I agree simply not enough milk stouts!

I hope it makes its round in the GTA...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

JeffPorter wrote:This sounds like a great beer - I agree simply not enough milk stouts!

I hope it makes its round in the GTA...
Yes, the description of this beer certainly makes it one I'll keep an eye out for..let you know if I see it anywhere I go in TO :D

Who else makes one?

Cheers,
Live or Die by Good Beer

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Liverdie wrote:Who else makes one?
The only one I've had is Charlevoix Vache Folle Imperial Milk Stout and it's delicious.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Ceecee wrote:
The only one I've had is Charlevoix Vache Folle Imperial Milk Stout and it's delicious.
How do they compare?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Ceecee wrote:
Dragon Stout
St Peters Cream Stout
Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

With a name like that, they should submit to the LCBO... just for the free press!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

mintjellie wrote:
Ceecee wrote:
Dragon Stout
St Peters Cream Stout
Southern Tier Creme Brulee
Mill Street actually did one about 3 years ago, but I don't remember it being very good...WAY too much lactose.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Derek wrote:With a name like that, they should submit to the LCBO... just for the free press!
i kind of wish FM would move past the silly name shtick and also change their labeling.
it doesn't stop me from drinking their beer...but i feel like a douche if i order one at the bar, knowing that some jock's ordering the beer because they like saying "smashbomb" or "flying monkey"

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

atomeyes wrote:
Derek wrote:With a name like that, they should submit to the LCBO... just for the free press!
i kind of wish FM would move past the silly name shtick and also change their labeling.
it doesn't stop me from drinking their beer...but i feel like a douche if i order one at the bar, knowing that some jock's ordering the beer because they like saying "smashbomb" or "flying monkey"
Try not to drink where jocks who like saying "smashbomb" drink. :wink:
As long as it is good beer I'll drink it out of a bucket! And if it helps FM sell more then - more power to them
I am not a big fan of the stupid fish on the Bell's Two Hearted label but I keep drinking it. (we need a "best beer with the worst marketing" thread)

I hear there are some underused dead white guy brands looking for work, I am looking at you Robert Simpson and John By!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

NRman wrote:
Where else is there to drink?

Also, am I missing out by not drinking sinha?

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

JeffPorter wrote:
NRman wrote:
Where else is there to drink?

Also, am I missing out by not drinking sinha?
At the kickoff inwaterloo but you do have to drink with engineers :o

Yes. At less than $2 per bottle, it's stellar