Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sawdust City "Uranus" beer

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Sawdust City "Uranus" beer

Post by atomeyes »

I don't know the full name of it. i think its a pretty dumb name, but it didn't let it cloud my judgment. i ordered it at Volo last night (on cask).

i really want a toronto brewery to do well...i really do...

but yeah, it was disappointing. long, lingering bitter aftertaste. the initial hit on the tongue caught a LOT of alcohol with a spirit-like evapouration as i drank it.
bouquet was slightly mentholy.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

'Careful pronunciation may be necessary to avoid embarrassment; say "YOOR a nus" , not "your anus" or "urine us".'

- neither which sound like great beers.
In Beerum Veritas

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

What you are describing sounds like an Imperial Stout, which is what it is. I would expect some bitterness.

But I haven't had it, so I can't really comment. Perhaps Cask isn't the best delivery for it?

seemed to like it.

It's not a Toronto Brewery BTW.

Gravenhurst.
Last edited by elproducto on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

It was on tap at C'est What also - I passed in favour of the Great Lakes Cask.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I had it on Wednesday. It's definitely a bit strange on cask--I don't think the thin mouthfeel of cask quite fits. That said, I enjoyed the beer. The bitterness didn't bother me because it meshed well with the other flavours which I felt were typical of a strong-tasting imperial stout.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Had some the other night at Volo and agree that it it is not well served by a cask presentation, at least for my own preferences. The anise/herbal character is quite strong and I'd prefer it to have a bigger, thicker base beer to support it.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

JerCraigs wrote:Had some the other night at Volo and agree that it it is not well served by a cask presentation, at least for my own preferences. The anise/herbal character is quite strong and I'd prefer it to have a bigger, thicker base beer to support it.
see, you tasted anise/herb. that's what i sort of got, except that also brought forward the alcohol taste.

there's a big difference between herbal and medicinal and Uranus is almost medicinal.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

elproducto wrote:It's not a Toronto Brewery BTW.

Gravenhurst.
Well... it WILL be a Gravenhurst brewery, once they actually get one built up there. :wink:

For now, they've been brewing at Niagara College, and I think they have a batch on the go at Black Oak as well.

But yeah, technically not a Toronto brewery.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Also - while I haven't tried this beer yet, I can dig what people are saying about cask not being the best serving method. I don't think I've ever had an imperial stout on cask that I really enjoyed - much prefer them in keg or bottle.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

GregClow wrote:Also - while I haven't tried this beer yet, I can dig what people are saying about cask not being the best serving method. I don't think I've ever had an imperial stout on cask that I really enjoyed - much prefer them in keg or bottle.
Wholeheartedly agree. I'd extend this sentiment to really any stouts, porters, IPA/IIPA's etc etc being served on cask - I just don't understand why bars/breweries keep doing this in Ontario. I really don't think any of these styles are even remotely suited to cask, and I don't think I've ever had anything from these (and other similar) styles that I've enjoyed more on cask than draught/bottled.

Unless this beer shows up on tap or I'm able to get my hands on a bottle, I don't think I'll be rushing out to try this one.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I had a couple of good stouts on cask at Cask Days. The one I remember was the Charlevoix Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. It was really good. Rivaled the BBA Tempest at Volo. So not all stouts are awful on cask, but I agree, in general they are better suited to kegs and bottles.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:Also - while I haven't tried this beer yet, I can dig what people are saying about cask not being the best serving method. I don't think I've ever had an imperial stout on cask that I really enjoyed - much prefer them in keg or bottle.
I'm kinda with you there - Péché Mortel was no big deal (watery cold black coffee) Wellington RIS was unusually cloying (yet still good).

So the Age of Carbonation is a good thing for Imperial Stouts.

(Wellington Iron Duke Strong Ale is great on cask though, Grag if you've not ventured.)
In Beerum Veritas

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Interesting to see the different takes on this beer. I had it at C'est What on Friday and thought it was quite good. Remarkably bitter for a stout, but I thought it worked. Funnily enough, the best part for me was probably the cask treatment. I tend to like a very low carbonation level in my beers and thought that this one felt quite lovely. It is no Tempest, but I would say I probably enjoyed it more than the Wellington, for example. Certainly liked it more than the Beach Wheat, which I wasn't terribly excited by.

Ren

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I had a little from a bottle today. It was fantastic. I agree on the agressive bitterness, but I though it was close to very dark chocolate and coffee rinds. the flavour was not overly bitter at all. this was also at 10am on no food or coffee. I think the caks didnt due this great brew justice. Awesome beer, and I really hope they bottle their offerings. This would be an injustice to the ontario market if they turn into just a brew pub.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

An Imperial on cask doesn't have to taste like ass...

I thought Péché Mortel was phenomenal (better than the few bottles I've had):
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11 ... /?ba=Derek

But that's the nature of the living cask... it can certainly be hit or miss (and sometimes it's a really big miss).