Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's All Natural Beaver River I.P.Eh?

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Beau's All Natural Beaver River I.P.Eh?

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I've had this three times now and find the beer excellent each time. It is IMO a classic English-style pale ale with a tangy bitterness that also suggests (but in a subsidiary role) some U.S. hop influence and perhaps a shade of German hop.

It's rounded and appetizing but still plenty bitter. It reminds me of the long-departed Ballantine IPA and other quality pale ales in the English tradition.

I wouldn't change a thing except make it more available on draft - it may well be, but I haven't seen it in that form in Toronto IIRC - and ultimately on cask.

Gary
Gary Gillman

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Gary, it was on tap (and in fine form, I might add) last night at Marcy, a new bar/restaurant on Roncesvalles at Garden. Nice spot. I imagine the BR will be there at least until the next Beau's seasonal is released. They also had Steam Whistle, Beau's Lug Tread and Stonehammer Dark on tap.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Great tip, many thanks, I'll try to check it out soon.

Gary
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gillman

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Also, it's on tap at the Bellevue in Kensington Market. I believe they carry whatever the Beau's seasonal is.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks for that as well.

Incidentally, the bottle I bought, at Summerhill, indicates a packaging date of March 14. Clearly the freshness of the product adds a lot to its quality and this would apply even more so to the draft, but also it is a very well made beer.

Gary
Gary Gillman

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Had this on tap yesterday and it was much better than I remember it being from last year. Maybe freshness was an issue, but last year the hops were muted and boring, this year they were bright and well balanced. Huge improvement.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

notdan

Post by notdan »

The Mick wrote:Had this on tap yesterday and it was much better than I remember it being from last year. Maybe freshness was an issue, but last year the hops were muted and boring, this year they were bright and well balanced. Huge improvement.
Agreed. I loved this beer the first year it came out but it seemed to get scaled back in flavour in subsequent years. Bought a fresh bottle from the LCBO in Ottawa last weekend and it was delicious. Obviously not an American hop bomb, just a really nicely balanced pale ale with a fresh hoppy nose.