Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cameron's Rye Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote: I asked about the barrel aged, as they had a full bottle on the shelf, she said they had none left and that she couldn't sell the one on the shelf. I asked her if she knew when they had more, and she just said "It's seasonal".

:roll:

Anyway, came home and emailed the brewery to ask. Maybe I'll get a response. Maybe not.
Based on the reviews on BA it doesn't look like you are missing much. I haven't cracked my bottle open yet to comment for myself.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: I asked about the barrel aged, as they had a full bottle on the shelf, she said they had none left and that she couldn't sell the one on the shelf. I asked her if she knew when they had more, and she just said "It's seasonal".

Anyway, came home and emailed the brewery to ask. Maybe I'll get a response. Maybe not.
Based on the reviews on BA it doesn't look like you are missing much. I haven't cracked my bottle open yet to comment for myself.
Agreed - it sounds too thin. They should put some of the RPA in a barrel for a bit and see what happens! :P
Last edited by JeffPorter on Wed May 30, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

Aggreed it sounds too thin. They should put some of the RPA in a barrel for a bit and see what happens! :P
I think I have two bottles at home. If you want to buy one off me for what I paid for it, it is yours.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Yeah, I've got mine sitting in the fridge now. Haven't opened it yet for the same reason.

heebes

Post by heebes »

finally made the trek to the brewery to get some, hot damn was it worth it.
this is a great beer! love the juicy hops.

nice to see the underdog ontario breweries like Camerons & Nicklebrook coming out with some of the best beers available right now.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Happily bought 6 and have been impressed. Far and away the best camerons ive had. Hop Rod Rye is an apt comparison.
Last edited by sprague11 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

For the Ottawa crowd, this will be on tap at Bros Beer Bistro this Wednesday at their Hopulus Maximus event. As far as I know they only have enough RPA for the Wednesday night event, so if you want to try it and haven't had a chance yet, you should make your way down.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

hammy78

Post by hammy78 »

There is no question that this is one of the best made beers in the province. Paying that price is something that I wouldn't even factor in, given the calibre of beer. Would you hesitate paying even close to it for an import? Support Canadian brewers.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I went out of my way to pick some up (I forgot how bad traffic was).

Really great stuff.

I passed on the barrel-aged doppelbock. It might be worth the $18.50 a 6 pack, but I didn't think I'd get through everything on the weekend.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Will this ever be available at the LCBO or TBS? (My local TBS usually has three Cameron's beers - occasionally four - so I was kind of hopeful but it doesn't look like it is going to happen).

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

It's a tremendous beer, the best Camerons have ever brewed (IMO) and I really, really hope that this doesn't remain 'seasonal' as it would seem foolish to take such a great beer off the market especially seeing as I rarely see Camerons taps anywhere around town these days.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

We've been unable to get a straight answer from either sales reps or the head brewer. All I know is we might see RPA in stores, but not in the near future. The brewer mentioned they have a couple other new seasonals they want to do first. Not sure how much longer we can expect RPA to be around, but I will miss it greatly if/when it goes. Every other hop fix pales in comparison.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've heard that hops are getting scarce.

I'm speculating... but unless they've already sourced the hops or have an extremely good connection, you might not see another full batch before the next harvest. And that's assuming it makes sense for their business.

There are so many factors we don't typically consider!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I just came from the brewery. Its already sold out. I only have five left. :(
I should say thought that one of the saled reps was awesome. Driving to his house in order to grab me a few of his bottles. The sign on the wall just said "sold out for now".
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

No more RPA :( Kegs only.

And not to sound like the previous Keep6 Belgian pre announcment on their announcment or whatever went on there but there will be another seasonal coming out in the next couple weeks in its place... Bill wouldnt let the style slip.

He did say theyve got their barrel aged doppelbock available right now though. Has anyone had it?