Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cameron's Rye Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

had one of these for the first time Friday night ... had almost no hop profile. I was expecting a lot more from what's written on here.

The keg was delivered Nov 8, so I assumed it would be extra fresh.

Bummer.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

kafercrazy wrote:had one of these for the first time Friday night ... had almost no hop profile. I was expecting a lot more from what's written on here.

Bummer.
Could there be a difference with the kegs vs. bottles cuz my bottles are zip-ditty-do-da hoppy.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

kafercrazy wrote:had one of these for the first time Friday night ... had almost no hop profile. I was expecting a lot more from what's written on here.

Bummer.
Yeah, this seems crazy to me. I've had a few bottles and it is loaded with great citrus hops.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

JeffPorter wrote:Could there be a difference with the kegs vs. bottles cuz my bottles are zip-ditty-do-da hoppy.
Weebay wrote:Yeah, this seems crazy to me. I've had a few bottles and it is loaded with great citrus hops.
I've sent Cameron's an e-mail, so I'll see what they have to say...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

kafercrazy wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Could there be a difference with the kegs vs. bottles cuz my bottles are zip-ditty-do-da hoppy.
Weebay wrote:Yeah, this seems crazy to me. I've had a few bottles and it is loaded with great citrus hops.
I've sent Cameron's an e-mail, so I'll see what they have to say...
Had some on draught tonight, and it was just like in the bottle - hoppy nose, and big juicy, spicy flavour...unless of course, you've been drinking a lot of Ruination or something...

Is it possible that they mixed up the kegs and sent you the Auburn?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

JeffPorter wrote:Is it possible that they mixed up the kegs and sent you the Auburn?
Just got off the phone with Jason from Cameron's.

The reason why my pint was so easy-drinking is because they served me Sirius Wheat Ale! :oops: :oops:

They called the pub and it was server error. And the chalkboard with the craft beer list was from months ago.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

kafercrazy wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Is it possible that they mixed up the kegs and sent you the Auburn?
Just got off the phone with Jason from Cameron's.

The reason why my pint was so easy-drinking is because they served me Sirius Wheat Ale! :oops: :oops:

They called the pub and it was server error. And the chalkboard with the craft beer list was from months ago.
Well, I think they owe you a pint of RPA for that! :D

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

JeffPorter wrote:Well, I think they owe you a pint of RPA for that! :D
Jason did offer to buy me one. I said I hope to visit the retail store before I go back to that pub.

You should have heard how excited the server was about the RPA when, as it turns out, he had no idea what he was talking about. :o

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

kafercrazy wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Well, I think they owe you a pint of RPA for that! :D
Jason did offer to buy me one. I said I hope to visit the retail store before I go back to that pub.

You should have heard how excited the server was about the RPA when, as it turns out, he had no idea what he was talking about. :o
I was at JJRyan's in Syracuse last spring, and a buddy ordered an orange/chocolate stout (forget the brewery). When the beer came back it was dark yellow and of course tasted nothing like the name would imply. When we questioned the server, he response was, "yeah, it's funny that way, it doesn't taste Chocolate OR Orange!"

My buddy sent it back asking for a different beer. By the time she returned she realized that they had given her the wrong beer at the bar, and she had to feel like a complete motard for trying to rationalize the wrong beer delivery.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

kafercrazy wrote: The reason why my pint was so easy-drinking is because they served me Sirius Wheat Ale! :oops: :oops:
That sucks. I went by yesterday and grabbed two six's of RPA. Sirius was on sale $12.95 down to $10.95 and then $9.95 when you buy RPA. I figured what the heck, $10 six beers sure. $10 I'll never see again, very disapointing especially after drinking it right after a RPA.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The Rye PA is drinking like a champ. Hopefully they make this a regular offering and get it sent to some LCBO's a bit closer to me.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

sprague11 wrote:The Rye PA is drinking like a champ. Hopefully they make this a regular offering and get it sent to some LCBO's a bit closer to me.
Agreed, after only buying 12, its hard to try and savour them and not to reach for a second or a third.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sprague11 wrote:The Rye PA is drinking like a champ. Hopefully they make this a regular offering and get it sent to some LCBO's a bit closer to me.
If you watch the Albino Rhino video on it's return:

Bill Coleman (at 52 seconds) mentions that it's "here to stay" and I think that bodes well for an LCBO release...

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

JeffPorter wrote:
If you watch the Albino Rhino video on it's return:

Bill Coleman (at 52 seconds) mentions that it's "here to stay" and I think that bodes well for an LCBO release...
Here's to hoping. Even at $16.50 a six pack. I'd buy it regularly. The Rhino seemed a bit camera shy not knowing what to say about the beer lol.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
Here's to hoping. Even at $16.50 a six pack. I'd buy it regularly. The Rhino seemed a bit camera shy not knowing what to say about the beer lol.
He seemed like a deer in the headlights! I hate to keep picking on this guy but why did he insist on drinking this out of the bottle? And why did the guys at Cameron's let him do that? Makes the whole thing look like a joke.