Cameron's Rye Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:53 am

@ Derek: They are an uproven brewery selling an unproven beer for $17 a 6er. Mad Tom is $13.50. Smash Bomb is $13.25. Hophead, which comes from the other side of the country is $13.55. That's 26% more expensive than the most expensive of those 3. Their pricing is out to lunch.
JeffPorter
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2552
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:39 am
Location: Brampton, ON

Postby JeffPorter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 am

Also - considering that the pint at the publican is only about 15% of a mark-up whereas often it's 150-200%, I'd rather drink it at the pub, than drive down to Oakville to get it...That way I get to support the brewery AND the pub...

Now if I'm in Oakville, because I feel like buying root veg chip at Whole Foods for 7 dollars a bag, will I stop off at the brewery and grab a 6er? Yep!

Because it's nommy beer, and I'm already there, and because, honestly I'm only going to buy one or two 6ers of it, I don't mind putting down the extra 4 buck a sixer (It is only about 80 cent extra/beer). But if I wanted a case, obviously that would add up.

Also, I still think that this is going to become more common, that it isn't the high abv beers that become more expensive, but the high IBU ones...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 am

JeffPorter wrote:Also, I still think that this is going to become more common, that it isn't the high abv beers that become more expensive, but the high IBU ones...
And while you may be right, there is no reason for Cameron's to be 30% more expensive than everyone else right now.
User avatar
Derek
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3192
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:11 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC
Contact:

Postby Derek » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 am

JeffPorter wrote:Now if I'm in Oakville, because I feel like buying root veg chip at Whole Foods for 7 dollars a bag, will I stop off at the brewery and grab a 6er? Yep!


:lol: Too funny!

@TheSevenDuffs - Is this a full-batch, standard production brew? I assumed it was a specialty/one-off, in which case I'd expect to pay more... just as we do for MANY other brews, whether they're proven or not.
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:55 am

Derek wrote:@TheSevenDuffs - Is this a full-batch, standard production brew? I assumed it was a specialty/one-off, in which case I'd expect to pay more... just as we do for MANY other brews, whether they're proven or not.
Good point. That hadn't occurred to be. I guess if it is, it is not priced any differently than say Project X bottles are (if you compare volume and price given that Project X bottles are 650 ml). In fact, they would work out cheaper than Project X bottles per ml.
User avatar
cratez
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2257
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby cratez » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:41 pm

There's a couple ways to look at the price.

On the one hand ~$2.85 per bottle is less than what we pay for the average LCBO seasonal or feature beer, and other "special releases" like 10BY sell for the same price. Plus beer geeks (myself included) constantly profess that we're willing to pay a little more for outstanding quality.

On the other hand TheSevenDuffs is correct in questioning why Cameron's is charging $3.50 extra per sixer for a beer that is similar in strength and style to a number of reasonably priced brands that are currently on the market. If Smash Bomb, Mad Tom, and Hop Head use comparable ingredients, take roughly the same time to brew, and have similar packaging to the RPA, why is Cameron's charging so much more (spring seasonal or not)? The consumer can't help but wonder if they're being gouged.

With that said, I still want to try the RPA since it's been getting high praise and hoppy ryes are rare in Ontario. Judging by the reviews so far - i.e. claims that it's the best IPA in the province - I just might be persuaded to overlook the price.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9951
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Jordan thought it was not unlike Hop Rod Rye (not bad comparison) and Hop Rod is always more expensive than Racer 5 from the brewery.

Anyway it's good.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Cale
Bar Fly
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:17 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Postby Cale » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Wow this beer is good. So much juicy hop flavour. Surprisingly complex. Easily one of the best beers out of Ontario.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.
JeffPorter
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2552
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:39 am
Location: Brampton, ON

Postby JeffPorter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:18 pm

cratez wrote:There's a couple ways to look at the price.

On the one hand ~$2.85 per bottle is less than what we pay for the average LCBO seasonal or feature beer, and other "special releases" like 10BY sell for the same price. Plus beer geeks (myself included) constantly profess that we're willing to pay a little more for outstanding quality.



Yeah - consider Red Racer @ 2.95 - pricey yes, but most of us think it's worth it...maybe if these bottles were singles @ the brewery for 2.85 each, it wouldn't be as much as a shock as the six pack format.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John
User avatar
Droogy
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:28 am

Postby Droogy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:41 pm

I really enjoyed this as well. Looking forward to the next time I'm near the retail store.
User avatar
Weebay
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:37 am
Location: Toronto

Postby Weebay » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Just tried this, bottle from brewery, much better than red racer imho.
I would put it up there with the much vaunted Nugget Nectar.
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Weebay wrote:Just tried this, bottle from brewery, much better than red racer imho.
I would put it up there with the much vaunted Nugget Nectar.
:o :o :o

Can't wait to get in to mine tomorrow night.
TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 am
Location: Whitby, ON

Postby TheBeeraholic » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:28 am

Okay, I think it's time I head to the brewery and pick up a six pack of this.
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 am

I broke down and went to the brewery yesterday to pick some up. I will report back tonight when I crack one open. Looking forward to it.
User avatar
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON
Contact:

Postby SteelbackGuy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Cale wrote:Wow this beer is good. So much juicy hop flavour. Surprisingly complex. Easily one of the best beers out of Ontario.



This.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Return to “Beer Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest