Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Random Reviews

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Tree Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale - Wasn't expecting a big American amber, but this was a bit disappointing in having no hop presence at all. Small bit of toffee and apple flavour, but really dominated by sweet graininess
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Over the weekend in London, had the chance to try Forked River Capital Blonde Ale (name seems more than a bit obscure, though London was once "selected" to be capital of Upper Canada i guess) and Riptide Rye Pale Ale from growlers. I liked both of them and would say this brewery is off to a promising start. The blonde was perhaps unexceptional, but very fresh tasting and pleasantly quaffable, while the RPA was resiny, slightly woody, with a touch of cocoa and a nice hoppy finish. Also very drinkable.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

icemachine wrote:Tree Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale - Wasn't expecting a big American amber, but this was a bit disappointing in having no hop presence at all. Small bit of toffee and apple flavour, but really dominated by sweet graininess
I usually like this one... the munich malt and floral hopping reminds of an Alt. It seems to appeal to a diversity of people and it's their top seller. It's readily available here, which is nice.

Now that said, I picked up their mix pack about a month ago to try the 2 new brews and unfortunately, my review would be very similar to yours... the toffee & roasted nut flavours were dominated by a grainy astringency, while the hops seemed to have disappeared. :cry:

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Whitewater Brewing Whistling Paddler English Style Ale: very dry (highly attenuated?) with a nutty, slightly woody aspect. Pleasantly drinkable. Reminded me of early Macleans Pale Ale.

Whitewater Brewing Midnight Stout Oatmeal Stout (sic; I don't get it either): more a porter or even a brown ale, at least to my taste. Dark brown in colour and not particularly roasty. Good all the same though, very nice body (from the oatmeal?) and just a hint of plum or pear. Another quite sessionable brew.

Both sampled on tap at Frisco's in lovely Eganville, Ontario.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

midlife crisis wrote:Whitewater Brewing Whistling Paddler English Style Ale: very dry (highly attenuated?) with a nutty, slightly woody aspect. Pleasantly drinkable. Reminded me of early Macleans Pale Ale.

Whitewater Brewing Midnight Stout Oatmeal Stout (sic; I don't get it either): more a porter or even a brown ale, at least to my taste. Dark brown in colour and not particularly roasty. Good all the same though, very nice body (from the oatmeal?) and just a hint of plum or pear. Another quite sessionable brew.

Both sampled on tap at Frisco's in lovely Eganville, Ontario.
Eganville is a lovely town, despite the presence of my mother-in-law. Surprised to see craft beer on tap there and excited to try it out! Not sure if you ever had chance to go to the Schnitzel place across the street, but the schnitzels are shockingly good.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes. I am pretty sure this is Eganville's first foray into craft beer, but then Whitewater is their first remotely local brewery, so good for them at Frisco's for putting it on. Frisco's also has Creemore Pilsner, FWIW. I've always been disappointed that neither the LCBO nor TBS in Eganville carry Kichesippi, and in previous years Heritage or Beau's or any other Ottawa craft beers.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Bobsy wrote:Eganville is a lovely town, despite the presence of my mother-in-law. Surprised to see craft beer on tap there and excited to try it out! Not sure if you ever had chance to go to the Schnitzel place across the street, but the schnitzels are shockingly good.
Mmmmm The Granary. The family cottage is on Lake Lorwell and visits to The Granary, the Jolly Friar, and the IGA for Chelsea buns were all annual rituals.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Anchor Steam: Of all things, a stray bottle in the LCBO's singles basket, and it turns out to be the best Anchor Steam I've had in Toronto in some 20 years. Super-fresh, not a hint of damp paper oxidation or other staleness as I sometimes encountered in past years. It has a trademark mango-like fruity quality (the ale side) with a rounded and even-tempered mineral quality (the lager side?). Good neutral bitterness too. Even though not hugely flavoured the flavors are excellent and all in the right place. Legend.

Kensington Brewing Company's Fish-Eye: excellent heavy American IPA, reminds me a lot of the old Ballantine IPA (albeit with a stronger West Coast hop accent) as do many in this style. Well-made, no weird tastes, just rich malt and big American hopping to match. Perfectly executed.

Marston's Pedigree: This had the sulphur notes associated to the Burton pale ale style but seemed a little stale and dull. Not too much happening. Not sure why, but too many English ales seem excellent on cask yet don't translate well to bottle or can.

Tuborg (Green Can): This is now brewed in Turkey, which is neither here nor there since I am convinced you can make a beer taste exactly like you want no matter where made. My take: clean, no faults, but very little hop, just a light spritzy grainy quality. I remember Tuborg in the 70's when it was malty and with an elegant perfumed quality. That 70's version was I am quite sure Tuborg Gold, which is still made and another iteration of the Tuborg brand, but I've had the current Gold too and it seemed not much different to the Green pilsener version. Memory can play tricks, but the beer just seemed better all those years ago.

Gary
Gary Gillman

zane9

Post by zane9 »

G.M. Gillman wrote:...Kensington Brewing Company's Fish-Eye: excellent heavy American IPA, reminds me a lot of the old Ballantine IPA (albeit with a stronger West Coast hop accent) as do many in this style. Well-made, no weird tastes, just rich malt and big American hopping to match. Perfectly executed...
^ +1 Really enjoying this one. A confident step for Kensington. Found it well matched with a spice-forward quesadilla, etc.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Marston's Pedigree: This had the sulphur notes associated to the Burton pale ale style but seemed a little stale and dull. Not too much happening. Not sure why, but too many English ales seem excellent on cask yet don't translate well to bottle or can.
In Beerum Veritas

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Muskoka Mad Tom:
I had this on draft yesterday at the Muskoka Highlands Golf Club, in Bracebridge. It was fantastic.
The $5.25 price tag for the pint added to the enjoyment.

Picked up some cans of Mad Tom in Bracebridge, with an 'enjoy before' date of 03 Nov 13 . It's not in the same league. Very disappointing.

FYI: The brewery has moved from the downtown area, to Muskoka Beach Rd, on the southern outskirts of town.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Indie Ale House + Biergotter Sweep the Leg Wheat Wine, on tap the other night at Indie: perhaps the best barrel aged beer I have ever had. Great stuff. Unlike so many others, not sweet or cloying at all, delicious and dangerously drinkable, yet with plenty of "barrel" flavour. Way to go guys!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

midlife crisis wrote:Indie Ale House + Biergotter Sweep the Leg Wheat Wine, on tap the other night at Indie: perhaps the best barrel aged beer I have ever had. Great stuff. Unlike so many others, not sweet or cloying at all, delicious and dangerously drinkable, yet with plenty of "barrel" flavour. Way to go guys!
wow, thanks! glad you enjoyed it. pretty damn happy with how it turned out.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

CA_in_VA

Post by CA_in_VA »

Beau's Opa Gose

Damn good beer. Reminds me of a La Fin Du Monde, but not as strong nor as sweet. Exactly what I wished La Fin du Monde was during the summer heat.

Maple Leaf Lager

I saw this 500ml bottle at the LCBO all by itself, so I picked it up. Long story short, it sucked. Kinda skunky, kinda tangy, and not-at-all refreshing. I rarely refuse to finish a beer, but I could not finish this (and I've been known to drink warm OV when necessary)

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

CA_in_VA wrote:
Maple Leaf Lager

I saw this 500ml bottle at the LCBO all by itself, so I picked it up. Long story short, it sucked. Kinda skunky, kinda tangy, and not-at-all refreshing. I rarely refuse to finish a beer, but I could not finish this (and I've been known to drink warm OV when necessary)
You just got Trafalgared :roll:
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole