Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Random Reviews

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

JeffPorter wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:Buxton Imperial Black Ale: Parked at Summerhill to pick up a printer cartridge at Staples, did a quick trawl through the store to see if anything new was there, and behold saw the Buxton and picked up 2. Faultlessly executed with rich clean black beer flavours against a much bigger wash of piney minty West Coast American hops. No off tastes, in perfect condition.
This is such a nice beer...and I have to say, it's nice to have some US/UK styles that are bottle conditioned back at the LCBO. The creamy lively head really adds to this beer.
I agree. This has tasty, big bold aromas and flavours. Given that it is bottle conditioned, I wonder if it would be an aging candidate? Sure, the hops would mute a bit, but I'm with Gary that they are a bit dominant at the moment. I'd like a bit more balance, ideally. But I'm sure the hopheads are pleased with this one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:Buxton Imperial Black Ale: Faultlessly executed with rich clean black beer flavours against a much bigger wash of piney minty West Coast American hops. No off tastes, in perfect condition.
This is such a nice beer...The creamy lively head really adds to this beer.
I agree. This has tasty, big bold aromas and flavours. Given that it is bottle conditioned, I wonder if it would be an aging candidate? Sure, the hops would mute a bit, but I'm with Gary that they are a bit dominant at the moment. I'd like a bit more balance, ideally. But I'm sure the hopheads are pleased with this one.
It really is a faultless beer, would enjoy now as it is essentially a big IPA in black clothing. The live bottling makes it taste fresher and more complex. Maybe a good beer with food and snacks if you wanted to balance out the resiny dry hop flavors. Asian curry and noodle dishes, mexican or jamaican food.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It is great now, faultless for the hoppier end of the black ale style. Yet, I agree with MC, possibly aging might mute some of the big C-hops yet preserve the overall richness. My suggestion would be to store it quite cool for a few months. Don't store it too warm because otherwise you might get that typical flavour of old dark beer (staleness in a word), which some people like but would ruin the guileless freshness of this beer.

Of course another and perhaps safer way: blend it 50/50 with a similar but less, or non-, C-hopped Black IPA or porter style. E.g. Wellington County Imperial Stout. This would make a superb blend.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

This is pairing well with a Jerk Chik Burrito from Chino Loco. Peppers flavor brings out tangerine-orange flavors from the spicy hops, and a hint of soothing chocolate.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

FM The Matador. I find myself hanging on to these FM releases for a good while just because they get a pretty strong backlash out of the gate. This one is a bit bonkers. Certainly understand the huge deviation in ratings. Cedar's obviously the star of the show. Coupled with the sweet malt and heat it's bound to polarize. I rather enjoyed it, but I love a good hit of cedar.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Belgian wrote: It really is a faultless beer, would enjoy now as it is essentially a big IPA in black clothing. The live bottling makes it taste fresher and more complex.
To add my voice to the chorus, yeah, awesome release. Never really got the style! but this is a beautifully rounded! fresh tasting brew. One of the better LCBO releases in a good while.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Fullers ESB
On tap at Breadalbane in Fergus. Served in a nice Fullers ESB goblet. mahoganey hued reddish colour. Some minimal carbonation and a small thick head.
Smells of bitter orange rind some cherry, warm spices. Taste of more citrus, orange and g-fruit,biscuits, some nutmeg and cinnamon. Floral english hops, a touch malty and incredible smooth. A light bitter lingering finish.

This is the first time i've been able to try this on tap and i was not dissapointed. It's one of my go-to buys @ the lcbo when i dont know what i feel like. Always consistant and satisfying. I wish we could get more Fullers products here. The only problem is I cant decide if I like this, or London Pride better. A solid 8.5/10[

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Finally got around to entering some backlogged reviews (only 50 more to go!):

Allagash Tripel Ale - 9% ABV
Serving type: bottle
Appearance: pours an unfiltered, hazy golden hue with one finger of white head and big globs of webbed lacing on the tulip glass. Very attractive brew.
Smell: unripe banana, anjou pear, pineapple, doughy-yeasty notes, big tropical fruit aromas, candied nectarine, alcohol esters, and grainy malt. Hugely aromatic and complex nose.
Taste: pear, pineapple, candied pit fruit, yeast, spice box, light bitterness, exotic fruit and alcohol esters on the cough. Delicious.
Mouthfeel: fuller than medium-bodied, lush, tangy and spicy middle, prickly hop bitterness transitions to a drying finish. Alcohol is well hidden. Stellar feel.
Overall: an exemplary tripel, balanced and highly drinkable.
Rating: 4.2/5

Revolution Brewing Eugene Porter - 6.8% ABV
Serving type: can
A: pours an ultra dark brown, basically black, with a sliver of tan foam and strands of lacing on the pint glass. Good looking beer.
S: roasted malt, burnt toast, must, piney-resiny hops, leather, ash, and dark unsweetened chocolate. Decent complexity but a little mild.
T: burnt toast, dark unsweetened chocolate, raisin, light tartness mid-palate, neutral hop flavour, roasted-grainy afters. 28 IBUs sounds reasonable, as this is fairly malt-forward with low bitterness. This drinks more like an English-style brown porter than a Robust Porter. Just okay IMO.
M: medium-bodied, higher than average carbonation (almost cola-like), spicy-prickly hop bitterness with a chalky-dry finish, roasted-grainy afters, and some heat in the throat. On target for the style.
O: really dig the nod to labour activist Eugene V. Debs, but this is merely an average porter. Not much better than something like Muskoka Dark Ale.
Rating: 3.45/5

The Brew Kettle Production Works Old 21 Imperial IPA - 9% ABV
A: pours a clear amber hue with bronze edges, one finger of frothy white foam, lots of bubbles in the body, sheets of lacing on the pint glass. Nice look.
S: pine, hemp, bread crust, citrusy and herbal hops, grapefruit, honey, nuts, cotton candy, resin, navel orange, alcohol esters, and nectarine. Fresh and aromatic nose that falls short of greatness.
T: juicy, citric, and orangey hops upfront, peach, caramel sweetness mid-palate, nutty malt, pine resin and bread crust to end. 90 IBUs make themselves known with some lingering heat in the throat. Good.
M: full side of medium-bodied, bordering on syrupy, with a spicy, citric and drying hop bitterness and lasting piney-bready afters. Consistent with the style.
O: a very respectable East Coast DIPA that I would gladly purchase again.
Rating: 4.1/5

Deschutes Black Butte Porter – 5.2% ABV
Appearance: pours a very dark brown, bordering on black, with deep ruby edges, one finger of rocky beige froth, and sheets of sticky lacing on the tulip. A near-perfect look.
Smell: roasted malt, slight smoke, burnt toast, leather, vinous notes, raisin, cookie crumble, ashtray, and must. Deep, robust, and layered aromas.
Taste: roasted malt, burnt toast, malty tartness, crisp, tangy and drying hop bite with roasted, leathery, and ashy afters on the cough. Straightforward but enjoyable, and exactly what I expect from a Robust Porter. Awesome.
Mouthfeel: medium-bodied, lush and velvety middle, brief malty tartness precedes a crisp and tangy hop bite with a bone-dry finish. Spot on for the style.
Overall: a textbook roasted-ashy porter with big, layered flavours and rich texture.
Rating: 4.45/5

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA - 6% ABV
A: pours a clear copper hue with a thick, off-white cap and strands of stringy lacing on the shaker glass. Lively bubbles in the body. Solid looking brew.
S: honeyed wheat cracker, peach, steeped tea, navel orange, herbal hops, slightly earthy and mineral-like aroma, jujube candy, biscuit, faint lemon. Very appealing nose, but closer to an ESB than a US IPA (too mild).
T: peach, honey, pine, green tea, mango, caramel, herbal and zesty hops, lemon, and bread crust. Tastes like an English/US IPA hybrid. Enjoyable and unique.
M: medium bodied, juicy-oily middle, zesty and citric hop bitterness with a clean, drying finish. Simple yet satisfying palate.
O: well-rounded, thirst quenching, above average IPA with some English IPA/ESB elements. Tasty and drinkable even though it’s not exactly on style.
Rating: 3.65/5

2012 Green Flash Barley Wine Style Ale – 10.9% ABV
A: pours a deep and clear ruby red with three fingers of cream coloured froth and big globs of lacing on the tulip glass. Several bubbles in the body. Fantastic look.
S: red grapefruit, caramel-drizzled dates, pine resin, grassy and herbaceous hops, burnt sugar, toasty malt, navel orange, toffee, faint melon, and ethanol. Absolutely gargantuan nose.
T: rich caramel, toffee, and date-like sweetness, mango, toasty-roasted malts, alcohol, pungently citric and lingering resinous hop bitterness, some warmth going down. Tasty overall, but the flavour doesn’t quite live up to the aroma.
M: thick, silky-smooth, and full-bodied, bordering on syrupy, massive tongue-scraping bitterness lingers on the palate with some alcoholic burn in the throat (though not harsh).
O: an excellent, hop-forward U.S. barley wine; one of the better examples that I’ve tried.
Rating: 4.2/5

2012 Founders Backwoods Bastard - 10.2% ABV
Pours a dark ruby-brown hue with a sliver of tan froth and a few dots of lacing on the snifter. Head subsides after a couple of sips. Smell and taste are oak barrel, bourbon, slight smoke, cocoa, apple, ethanol, brown sugar, caramel and molasses-like sweetness, earthy-peaty notes, dark pit fruit, and a warm booziness to end. The nuanced aromas appeal to me but the flavour is a little too sweet and boozy for my liking. Mouthfeel is full side of medium-bodied, lush and silky middle, low carbonation, some alcoholic warmth going down. Not nearly as robust and full-bodied as you would expect for the style and weight. Overall, this was fun to try but I wouldn’t seek it out again.
Rating: 3.5/5
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Boon Framboise 2012 - not bad, kind of thin and dry (leafy/acetic) and the berry is faint so I would maybe not age this - in fact I might prefer this for cooking.

Achel Bruin - Lovely fruit-malt profile in a mid-weight BSA, good cascading hop finish that is nicely bitter and herbal. Earthy. Esters. Don't overlook this next to Westvleteren 8 and Chimay Bleue. < Expiry 6-2015 - seems pessimistic?
In Beerum Veritas

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

st. feuillien saison was pretty good. citrus, lemon & orange, ends a bit too malty but still tasty.

la montagnarde amber was delicious. lots of raisins in the flavour and aroma, along with yeast, brown sugar, figs, spices. recommended!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Finish. This is decent enough, its strong points are a good fresh smoked wood quality and some burned malt notes. However, I find the body a bit lean and under-hopped. I added a splash of Red Racer IPA to it (maybe 1:4) and it works a dramatic improvement IMO, making for a medium-bodied porter or stout - or perhaps more a Black IPA - with a good hop undertone.

Creemore Bock (canned). Fruity, malty, no sulphur background (perhaps aged out in the tanks if it's been a few months from fermentation?). Slight molasses background. Very worthy. It seems only roughly filtered now too, which likely adds to the flavour.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA. Current LCBO stock, best by is a distant December '14. This is the best bottling I've had of this beer. In the past, there was always something that didn't seem right, a slightly oxidized note or something else. This one is perfect, with a complex hop bill as advertised. A New World mango/tamarind/grapefruit flavour emerges, it's like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's eccentric cousin sort of.

Gary
Gary Gillman

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Tried a bottle of Ommegang's Hop House last night (02/03/2014 package date), a Belgian pale. Dominated by a Jasmine floral nose , flavours were dominated by peppery phenolics but the beer was a bit thin and seemed unbalanced to me.

It was a good beer, but not something that works for me. Enjoyed the Poperinge Hommelbier far more in this style
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

St Feuillient Saison: Orangey brett nose, good balance of sweetness with some wheat or spelt evident I'd think. Classic rustic Belgian ale. (Quite similar to Orval I thought).

Amsterdam Brewhouse and House Ales Left Of The Dial Mild (collaboration): very hop forward against a medium body with residual sweetness and toffee-like flavours. Also tasted on same visit to Volo, Amsterdam's Space Invader, a single hop pale ale which had an excellent taste, the components seemingly similar to many APAs but they got a first rate flavour for this one.

Beck's. Seemingly packaged in February, so very fresh yet it has the same taste Beck's always does here: grainy, on the dry side, a little dull IMO. No light-struck character, which is good, but the American-brewed one is much better and closer to the German original as drunk there, IMO.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

GLB Thrust: Just excellent, I wouldn't argue too hard with anyone who suggested it was the best IPA to come out of the province. Delicious.

Wellington Terrestrial: I thought this was really good too. Hops give it an almost stout-like taste, but the bitterness gives it away. Nice rich malt. Enjoyed it.

Broadhead Polaris IPA: After the above, not great. This hop just isn't meant for the style. Alternated between "meh" and "ugh".

All at the Corner in Orleans. Great addition to the Ottawa scene.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

kasteel donker - malty, vinous, and warming. i like it a lot. it's a bit too sweet though. gonna put one away for a while and see how that turns out

smashbomb - not as fruity as i'd like it to be, but grapefruit and pineapple come through. has a rather sharp bitterness. prominent & tasty malt backbone. i expected more out of this beer but it's still solid

nickel brook naughty neighbour pale ale - wtf? this is delicious as hell. incredibly tropical aroma/flavour profile with enough malt for my liking. i think i'll be buying this one regularly