Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Random Reviews

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

anyone else find this batch of limp puppet kind of.. limp?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jeremyg wrote:anyone else find this batch of limp puppet kind of.. limp?
Hard top say. I buy GL brews almost exclusively on tap where the turnover is very quick.
In Beerum Veritas

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

yeah, I remember it being a lot brighter and more refreshing.
when GLB is on top of it they've made some of the best beers I've ever had... but, consistency seems to be a problem for them.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote:yeah, I remember it being a lot brighter and more refreshing.
when GLB is on top of it they've made some of the best beers I've ever had... but, consistency seems to be a problem for them.
I've had a similar issue with their Miami Weiss in terms of consistency. I've never had such bipolar feelings about the same type of beer.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Reviewed that Stift Engelszell Gregorius. I'm sort of amazed there's still bottles on shelves given the spring release. I think it might cellar pretty well.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/stift-engelsze ... istenbier/
saintjohnswort.ca

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

saints_gambit wrote:Reviewed that Stift Engelszell Gregorius. I'm sort of amazed there's still bottles on shelves given the spring release. I think it might cellar pretty well.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/stift-engelsze ... istenbier/
I'm kind of surprised it's still around as well. I went to some effort to find this beer in the US last year for a tasting I was putting together. Rather surprised to see it on shelves here. That being said, it's good, but I'm not in love with it. Reasonable price though.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

finally getting a moment to pop a bottle of warp & weft and jesus is it good. real faint tequila there but its just a solid sour through and through. loving it.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

also. i tried the nelson sauvin monogamy the other day and really liked it. i still think the simcoe ofering is my favorite of the bunch but this was up there. tasted more like a IPA than a single hop pale ale.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jeremyg wrote:also. i tried the nelson sauvin monogamy the other day and really liked it. i still think the simcoe ofering is my favorite of the bunch but this was up there. tasted more like a IPA than a single hop pale ale.
I'd be happy to have more Simcoe, which also holds up as a varietal pale. Gonna crack the Warp and Weft soon because of your raving comments, it's not cheap but I might need a few more. This reminds me I have a La Calabaza that's reaching its peak right now...
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Belgian wrote:
jeremyg wrote:also. i tried the nelson sauvin monogamy the other day and really liked it. i still think the simcoe ofering is my favorite of the bunch but this was up there. tasted more like a IPA than a single hop pale ale.
I'd be happy to have more Simcoe, which also holds up as a varietal pale. Gonna crack the Warp and Weft soon because of your raving comments, it's not cheap but I might need a few more. This reminds me I have a La Calabaza that's reaching its peak right now...
i have a wack of Calabaza's in my cellar, what's their peak?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I popped my last Calabaza in May and I thought it was somewhat muted. Still tasty, but less sour than I remember it being a year earlier.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Just started drinking the Tank 7 farmhouse ale. It's good, but a little odd. Nice and peppery saison character. I found it a bit sweet and alcohol forward though. At 8.5%, I find that a bit high for a farmhouse ale.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

napoleon wrote:Just started drinking the Tank 7 farmhouse ale. It's good, but a little odd. Nice and peppery saison character. I found it a bit sweet and alcohol forward though. At 8.5%, I find that a bit high for a farmhouse ale.
I'm really digging it - I was actually surprised by the abv as I thought it was well hidden.

Can't wait to dig into the Warp & Weft!

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

like the tank 7, just wish there was a little something more to it though, be it tartness or dryness or something. can't put my finger on it.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

jeremyg wrote:
Belgian wrote:
i have a wack of Calabaza's in my cellar, what's their peak?
i can't speak for this batch we got, since i felt it tasted a bit different (but not in a good way).

but i typically find most JP beer (minus their saison) hit their peek 1 year after bottling.
you let them sit beyond that and they tend to get too much of the JP character and all taste the same