Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Random Reviews

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

sprague11 wrote:Green Flash Rayon Vert - Bottle has a bit of age on it, so the hops have faded a bit. Massive head, hazy gold pour, The Brett is prominent in this one - funky, barnyard, slight pool tarp.
I love "slight pool tarp" and I'm going to steal it so that it goes right next to "deep woods off" for Saison Dupont in my vocabulary.
saintjohnswort.ca

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

icemachine wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Tyranena Dirty Old Man Porter - Very low carbonation, but that's my only complaint about this beer. Awesome pour, Rye, Dark Chocolate and black coffee. the barrel doesn;t overpower, but instead compliments the sweet roasted goodness of this beer. Very nice.

Great Lakes/Amsterdam Farmhouse Saison - Nice hazy golden pour, drinks like a witbier with some serious barnyard funk. Cardamon, orange, barnyard funk, yeast - A very interesting and complex drink.
Thought you were going to save that Porter for the next time...
I have several.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Black Creek Pale Ale: this is for the hop fans, a pale ale with characteristics of English bitter and APA. Good malty undertones too. Some of the typical Trafalgar earth notes are there, or at least I assume it is brewed there.

Granite Hopping Mad. A fine APA-style, tasted at the Granite yesterday and perfectly balanced for my taste.

Headstrong Black and Tan: I don't know if the beer has changed or my taste has, but I find it less good than when first released. Certainly drinkable and decent but I won't revisit.

Gary
Gary Gillman

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

sprague11 wrote:
icemachine wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Tyranena Dirty Old Man Porter - Very low carbonation, but that's my only complaint about this beer. Awesome pour, Rye, Dark Chocolate and black coffee. the barrel doesn;t overpower, but instead compliments the sweet roasted goodness of this beer. Very nice.

Great Lakes/Amsterdam Farmhouse Saison - Nice hazy golden pour, drinks like a witbier with some serious barnyard funk. Cardamon, orange, barnyard funk, yeast - A very interesting and complex drink.
Thought you were going to save that Porter for the next time...
I have several.
Cool :)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Punter's Gold, a Volo House Ale at around 4% ABV and a perfect rendition of English pale ale. It dropped bright as a penny without filtration or finings Ralph said. This was non-cask, a cask version will be available there next weekend. Classy, the real deal for pale ale/bitter IMO.

Stratford Common Ale, so advertised at Volo tonight but informed discussion at the bar pegged it as possibly their pilsener, so perhaps a misnomer. A well-balanced, rich and fine-tasting beer, as good as Galt Knife at its best IMO but different again.

Sawdust City Belgian IPA - a bottled beer - thanks for the pour Sam. It had a longer name with the word pants in it I believe (I'm not a fan of long joky names and find it hard to remember them). An excellent Belgian-tasting strong ale, it reminded me of Duvel but was rather better IMO with a welcome note of citrussy hop, a New Zealand variety (Nelson Sauvin) I understand.

Ontario is getting so much better at making really excellent beer.

Gary
Gary Gillman

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I suspect it was "Princess Wears Girlpants."

And yeah, sometimes the Common is the Pilsner.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I was particularly impressed with the pilsener - if it was a pilsener - due to its exceptional balance and good flavour, although I like the common ale too, a category in which the brewery has carved a niche. Lagers are not easy to get right, there are quite a few decent ones but not that many fine ones IMO.

Gary
Gary Gillman

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Stratford common has been excellent the last 2 or 3 times that I have had it.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Stopped in at Allen's on my way back from Brewer's Backyard. They had "Cameron's Bordeaux Cask Ale" which I can't find any mention of online. It was served on draft, although they apparently have the Cask version next door at Dora Keogh.

It seemed to be a robust porter, dried fruit and faint coffee aroma, dark chocolate and dried plum flavours. Heavy bodied and low carbonation with only a bit of lacing. I think it was listed at 7%, but there was no hint to its strength in the flavour.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

icemachine wrote:Stopped in at Allen's on my way back from Brewer's Backyard. They had "Cameron's Bordeaux Cask Ale" which I can't find any mention of online. It was served on draft, although they apparently have the Cask version next door at Dora Keogh.

It seemed to be a robust porter, dried fruit and faint coffee aroma, dark chocolate and dried plum flavours. Heavy bodied and low carbonation with only a bit of lacing. I think it was listed at 7%, but there was no hint to its strength in the flavour.
Unless I'm mistaken, that's their "532" - a double version of their 266 Dark Lager aged in wine barrels.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bock tasting last night:

Bushwakker Harbinger Maibock - killer stuff, very authentic

Paddockwood Maibock - I have no idea why they don't just call this a Bock, it is red and very malty. It also has fruity esters, vegetal notes, and harsh lingering bitterness. Not my favourite offering from Paddock Wood, this beer needs some serious retooling.

Trois Mousquetaires Maibock - poured hazy, all I could smell was tart lemon, taste was lemon and pepper, effervescent and light in body. An amazing saison, but an absolute disgrace of a Maibock. Hoping it was just the one bottle.

Bushwakker Baron Bock – very solid and authentic in taste.

Anchor Bock – scorched toffee, burnt roast and west coast hops do not make a bock.

Ayinger weizen bock - love this beer, great pale weizenbock.

Schneider Aventinus wheat doppelbock - maybe my memory is failing me, as I don't remember it tasting quite this way, but this beer has a ton of different fruit flavours going on (sour cherries, apricots, apples, with banana bringing up the rear), with the rich maltiness virtually nonexistant.

Fish Leavenworth Navigator doppelbock - american hops and american malts, tastes like an imperial red ale, not a german doppelbock.

Hofstetten Granit Bock – too much carmel, a tad sweet and heavy, but a reasonable Austrian example

Trois Mousquetaires Doppelbock - all I could smell and taste was brined green olives. Couldn't stomach more than 1 sip. Disgusting.

Celebrator doppelbock - one of the most complex, elegant and immensely enjoyable beers on the planet

Samichlaus Classic Barrique 2011 – Barrel aged version, I've been coming around to Samichlaus after a few years absense and have really been enjoying it. The american oak adds even more layers of vanilla, with the tannins helping the considerable alcohol dry out the finish of this over the top malt bomb.

Those LTM bocks were extremely disappointing, really hoping the entire shipment isn't like this.

Celebrator, Ayinger, Samchiclaus and the 2 Bushwakker bocks were far and away the best of the night. Wish there were more great bocks being made.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

New Holland Charkoota Rye - More a smoke beer than a Dopplebock. Dark pour, some raisin and fig in the taste but smoke dominates - be it to the benefit or detriment of this beer is your call but the bottle called for me to have this with all things pork so I had this with some BBQ'd sausage and ribs and for all their faults, New Holland wasn't wrong in this case. lower carbonation, but it was delicious with the right food.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Cameron's 266 Dark - never really tried it that I could recall.

Pours a deep mahogany. Nose is all German hops with a bit of caramel in the back - not sure which malts are used. Taste is roasted malts with the bite of the hops. Strikes me as a schwartzbier.

It's actually quite nice and refreshing...I'd drink it again.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Augusta Ale - 473ml can from the LCBO. light orange with a lasting off white head. simple pale ale. not enough late hopping for my tastes. would have been a great beer for ontarios market 5 years ago but we have much better APA options now. scroll past and grab some crazy canuck.

Creemore Pilsner - this beer has always been hit or miss with me. i had a bottle over the weekend that was quite good. lots of malt depth and balanced hopping. Im not sure why they call it czech style cause it doesnt taste anything like a czech pils, but it was a drinkable north american premium lager.

Bellwoods Biere de Garde - bomber from nickelass, thanks nick! simple estery belgian ale nose. lotsa of fermentation character in the flavour. really lacking malt body if its trying to be a biere de garde. a mediocure belgian amber ale. i havnt been to impressed with the 3 Bellwoods ive tried.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

matt7215 wrote: Bellwoods Biere de Garde - bomber from nickelass, thanks nick! simple estery belgian ale nose. lotsa of fermentation character in the flavour. really lacking malt body if its trying to be a biere de garde. a mediocure belgian amber ale. i havnt been to impressed with the 3 Bellwoods ive tried.
It's funny you mentioned this...while I've loved most of the stuff I've tried, and really enjoy the witchshark, I found the "single" IPA lacking in aroma and just that juicy hop flavour...it just seemed bitter. I only had it once, though, and so I should re-try it before I judge.