Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Random Reviews

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

atomeyes wrote:
napoleon wrote:
atomeyes wrote: but getting back to the original post: i'd never describe Urquel as having complex sweetness. nothing complex about the grist whatsoever. and it isn't bone dry like a saison, but i'd never use the term "sweet" to describe that or any blonde-coloured pilsner. bread ain't complex. :)
I kind of never thought I'd read a discussion of Pilsner Urquel on a beer lovers forum :P
if you ever have the opportunity to try the unfiltered PU, which only seems to come here via their beer reps swagging out restaurateurs, then do so. it's a really pretty beer. their yeast shines. zero skunk
Good to know. I would almost always choose an unfiltered beer over a filtered beer…just adds so much flavour. Unfortunately, with their beautiful green bottles, PU basically defines for the the off-flavor of skunk beer.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

boney wrote:
Even though it's not Bohemian, has anyone tried the unfiltered Steam Whistle? Had it at C'est What last weekend and it was pretty stellar. Obviously way more complex than the standard Steam Whistle. Don't know how widely available it normally is or if it was just made for TBW, but it would probably be my session of choice if I could get it regularly.
they had it at the Only before for a winter beer festival. i remember not being overly impressed, but that's a step up from what they normally produce (too much diacetyl in it, no yeast character)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

napoleon wrote: Good to know. I would almost always choose an unfiltered beer over a filtered beer…just adds so much flavour. Unfortunately, with their beautiful green bottles, PU basically defines for the the off-flavor of skunk beer.
think they just changed their bottles to brown. swore i saw something last month about that.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

atomeyes wrote:
boney wrote:
Even though it's not Bohemian, has anyone tried the unfiltered Steam Whistle? Had it at C'est What last weekend and it was pretty stellar. Obviously way more complex than the standard Steam Whistle. Don't know how widely available it normally is or if it was just made for TBW, but it would probably be my session of choice if I could get it regularly.
they had it at the Only before for a winter beer festival. i remember not being overly impressed, but that's a step up from what they normally produce (too much diacetyl in it, no yeast character)
I know, right. If you're only going to produce one beer, then at least try a bit harder! I get a bit frustrated when people list SteamWhistle as craft beer, as it's basically a not-so-well-done macro now.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Two great local Pilsners lately: Burdock (on tap at Bar Hop Two) and Innocente (on tap at Queen & Beaver). Very impressed with both, and they are fairly similar I think. The Burdock, in particular, has a fruity aspect that makes it seem almost like a hybrid pils/golden ale. Anyway, both went down a treat and both recommended. I know the Burdock has gotten some love in other threads - well deserved. Don't overlook the Innocente either. By far my favourite of any Innocente beers I have tried.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:Unfortunately, with their beautiful green bottles, PU basically defines for the the off-flavor of skunk beer.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Some recent ticks from an early fall trip to Indianapolis, IN:

3 Floyds Space Station: Middle Finger (American Pale Ale) - 4.4

22oz bottle purchased at Kahn's Fine Wines & Spirits.

A: Clear amber hue with three fingers of cream white foam and several strands of lacing on the tulip glass. A few bubbles in the body. A great looking pale. (4)

S: Huge blast of orange zest, caramel, mango, biscuit, papaya, and tangerine; hints of resin, pineapple, and passon fruit develop as the beer warms. Wonderfully bright, fruity, and tropical aromas. (4.5)

T: Taste follows the nose with juicy navel orange, mango, tangerine, and papaya upfront and some caramel and biscuit flavours to balance. Big zesty and resinous hop bitterness transitions to a long, drying finish. Lovely. (4.5)

M: Medium-bodied, crisp carbonation, juicy-oily middle gives way to a zesty and resinous hop bitterness and a lengthy, bone dry finish. Awesome. (4)

O: Another model pale ale from Three Floyds. These guys really know what they’re doing when it comes to hoppy beers. A must try. (4.5)

3 Floyds BackMasking Oatmeal Stout - 3.7

22oz bottle purchased at Kahn's Fine Wines & Spirits. Re-reviewed after letting the bottle breathe in the fridge for a day.

A: Very dark brown, bordering on black, with three fingers of mocha-coloured foam and lots of webbed lacing on the tulip glass. Some faint ruby edges. A stellar looking beer. (4.25)

S: Strong hop aromas of peach, papaya, mango, and melon fruit (cantaloupe, honey dew) meld with subtle notes of roasted malt, day-old coffee, dark unsweetened chocolate, and an earthy-peaty smokiness. Awesome nose that, aside from the smoke, closely resembles a Black IPA. (4.25)

T: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, and stone fruit upfront; slight tartness mid-palate; earthy hop finish with a moderate bitterness and warming alcohol to end. Solid if unconventional flavours. (3.5)

M: Light side of medium-bodied, silky-smooth, almost juicy middle, low carbonation, balanced hop bitterness transitions to an off-dry finish with some warmth going down. Lacking in body for the style. (3.25)

O: An aromatic and unique take on an oatmeal stout; unlike any example I've tried before. The mouthfeel is a little thin but the flavours are there and this beer smells fantastic. Worth trying. (3.5)

Upland Brewing Cherry Lambic - 3.5

750ml bottle purchased at the Upland Tasting Room in Broad Ripple Village.

A: Cloudy pink hue with a razor thin head and some bubbles in the body. No lace on my pour. Average appearance. (3)

S: Bing cherries, flower petals, oak wood, strawberry jam, barnyard funk (horse blanket, wet hay), crab apple, and a mild yeastiness. Solid aromas that are consistent with the style. (4)

T: Sour cherry, lemon juice, oak wood, moderate sweetness, and raspberry upfront; lightly drying finish with more sour cherry and woody flavours on the cough. Straightforward but satisfying palate. (3.5)

M: Medium-bodied, soft carbonation, big sour tartness (bordering on puckering) transitions to an off-dry finish with lingering sour-woody afters. (3.5)

O: A basic but enjoyable lambic that falls well short of greatness. Tasty and fun to try, but I probably wouldn't buy this again. (3.25)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Just had an Underdogs All or Nothing and this has really changed to me since the summer.
I'm getting no banana or bubblegum and that traditional hazy German hopfenweisse look is missing...another Durham region brewery disappointing me lately
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Plowman's Ale: This tastes very English now, I recall an APA profile when it first came out but I like it much more now. It has a Maris Otter-type richness and some flowery hop whether of Albion or not I don't know, but it's Kentish in style. Burton Pale Ale was never better in that the hop and malt are very well blended, it's a seamless flavour. I'd boost the hops but it's fine as it is. It reminds me a bit of the old Toby's Ale but is much better.

Carlsberg Lager Draft: This has a nutty, characteristic taste I like, for some reason it goes very well with wings. Sampled recently at the Crown and Dragon aka Art of Pub at Yonge and Dav. It's nice to visit a pub once in a while that is not strictly beer-focused and I always liked it here, the staff are friendly and it gets a wide range of clientele from the area and beyond.

Pilsner Urquell: That cooked barley taste is as good as ever and the fall Saaz hops are still shining into early winter (when it was brewed). Class act for pils, still the world's best IMO.

Granite Best Bitter: I don't have this too often but having a pint with Ron recently decided to try it again and was reminded how good it is. I prefer it to Best Bitter Special, and it seems the perfect blend of an English and American pale ale style.

Gary
What do you think of Jever in comparison with PU? I think they are both world class in their respective style when fresh, but the Jever dates are misleading. The best before is stamped 15 months after bottling/canning not one year. So when I thought I was drinking 2 month Jever, it was almost half a year old.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Catching up with this a little late, thanks for your query.

To be honest, Jever never really tasted right to me in Toronto, whether draft or other format, it always seems past its prime with a taste many German beers have when not super-fresh.

I had it once on draft at Gingerman in NYC and it was very different with a more natural ("craft") taste and a welcome sharp bitterness.

However, I find sometimes these things get fixed over time. Stiegl is generally much better now than years ago (any form), same with a few other German beers. I think probably it's more attention to the distribution chain... DAB is very good too especially the dark version, however in that case I think I know why: they are flash-pasteurizing now, that's what "draft" means on the label.

Gary
Gary Gillman

portwood

Post by portwood »

Stone Bastard Box
So far I've had the Arrogant Bastard and Oaked version ... meh! The oaked tones down the bitterness and adds a bit more complexity but I practically had to stick my nose in both beers to get any aromas out of them.

All the bluster/arrogance on the labels and (unless this stuff is awesome within days of bottling) what a let down!

NOT worth 5 bucks a bottle let alone over $8. I'll take a Great Lakes IPA (lake effect drinking nicely) at ~$3 a can any dayTh

Then again ... maybe its just my own arrogance ... errrr ignorance :wink:
@markhamwhisky

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Im sure they were better 3 months ago.. you can thank the lcbo for the aged beer.

portwood wrote:Stone Bastard Box
So far I've had the Arrogant Bastard and Oaked version ... meh! The oaked tones down the bitterness and adds a bit more complexity but I practically had to stick my nose in both beers to get any aromas out of them.

All the bluster/arrogance on the labels and (unless this stuff is awesome within days of bottling) what a let down!

NOT worth 5 bucks a bottle let alone over $8. I'll take a Great Lakes IPA (lake effect drinking nicely) at ~$3 a can any dayTh

Then again ... maybe its just my own arrogance ... errrr ignorance :wink:

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

So has anyone drank anything recently?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Been enjoying Nicklebrook's Payson Saison in a can lately. Kinda drinks like a cross between an IPA and a wheat beer. Also tried their raspberry berliner in a bottle recently. I was pretty inebriated at the time, but I remember feeling rather meh about it. Not a big raspberry fan in general though. I much prefer krieks.

Black Creek's Apricot Ale is good too. Been seeing it at the LCBO in bottle form.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

buddy of mine got this years beer camp and graciously shared it with me. the table beer was far and away the best of the bunch.