Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Droogy wrote:had this on cask at c'est what monday and had a chance to buy some bottles today.

enjoyed it more on cask over the bottle but still very drinkable and as stated many times before would lend itself to a session.

suspect its likely a variant of their headstock light which is also in the 4% abv range
Headstock Light is a lager, unrelated to the Headstock IPA.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

This was supposed to be at the LCBO/TBS last month (couldn't find the post with the poster). I've called them twice late March and first week of April and was told both time later this week or early next week.. Still nothing and don't want to bother calling again. Anyone know what the hold up is?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

matt7215 wrote:this stuff is awesome, huge juicy, grapefruit pith, hop nose, super lean and tight malt body, 4.9%...huge win
Matt said it best over a year ago. Took me a little longer to catch on but this is now my top Ontario purchase as it offers a great combo of big flavours, good value, and high sessionability. And I grab it every time I see it on tap too. Nickel Brook has done an amazing job of reinventing itself over the last little while - Headstock, Old Kentucky, Le Paysan, Bolshevik, Green Light, etc. - and this beer exemplifies that transformation.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Curious.. Who here perfers it over Crazy Canuck? The last few months I've been buying a ton of Canuck then went back to a six pack of NN and it just didn't do it for me.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Curious.. Who here perfers it over Crazy Canuck? The last few months I've been buying a ton of Canuck then went back to a six pack of NN and it just didn't do it for me.
I prefer it over Crazy Canuck. The last couple of times I had Crazy Canuck I found the hop flavour to be more muted by comparison.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I prefer NN over CC as well, for the above reason and (slightly) lower alcohol. Plus CC is pasteurized, so that's a bit of a turn off.

I've bought NN and Miami Vice more than anything else this summer. Great Ontario beers!
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I love CC when it's say, less than 3 weeks old (which is almost always attainable), but find it doesn't seem to hold up too well. Can't say I've seen any NN less than 6-7 weeks old here in Ottawa...but it always still tastes so damn good. I don't think I have a real preference, just two great beers.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

every time I see NN in ottawa, it has a brewed on date of May 2013.. have you seen fresher batches recently?
Kekumba wrote:I love CC when it's say, less than 3 weeks old (which is almost always attainable), but find it doesn't seem to hold up too well. Can't say I've seen any NN less than 6-7 weeks old here in Ottawa...but it always still tastes so damn good. I don't think I have a real preference, just two great beers.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Bought some at the end of July from Hunt Club/Merivale that was dated June 7th, I believe. Looks to be some decent stock in the west end. I'll take a look while I'm out tomorrow.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

All this talk has made me thirsty for some NN. I usually defer to CC (though I like them both very much) only because it's readily available (and very fresh) at my local 'BO, which sadly doesn't carry NN. However, I picked up a sixer of NN a bit further afield today and am looking forward to getting into this when I get home tonight. Oh, and bottled on Aug. 13. :D

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

NN over CC for us in Waterloo.
Nickelbrook knocks this one out of the park.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

velovampire wrote:All this talk has made me thirsty for some NN. I usually defer to CC (though I like them both very much) only because it's readily available (and very fresh) at my local 'BO, which sadly doesn't carry NN. However, I picked up a sixer of NN a bit further afield today and am looking forward to getting into this when I get home tonight. Oh, and bottled on Aug. 13. :D
I too got thirsty for NN yesterday after reading these posts. The two bottles I bought didn't have a date on them, I assume they were not the freshest as my prefrence for CC grew even more. I'll be near a few good LCBO's today and I'll look for some fresher bottles.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I got my NN straight from the brewery and I prefer CC.

But I'd take an Audrey Hopburn over either of them in a heartbeat.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

squeaky wrote:I got my NN straight from the brewery and I prefer CC.

i dont see how comparing a begian IPA to 2 sessionable APAs is all that relevant

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

matt7215 wrote:
squeaky wrote:I got my NN straight from the brewery and I prefer CC.

i dont see how comparing a begian IPA to 2 sessionable APAs is all that relevant
I don't see why it has to be :D