Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Ambre de la Chaudiere

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Mill Street Ambre de la Chaudiere

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bottle from the latest mixed 6. Pours a soupy gold with a quickly dissipating head that is soon just a thin ring around my glass.
A fairly earthy/dank nose hints at perfume and is very heavy on the banana. Sweet, yeasty and estery, again heavy on the banana. Creamy mouthfeel, medium body with no trace of the 7% alcohol.
This is a fairly fruit forward example of a French style farmhouse ale, that make me think of a Belgian Tripel rather than a Bier de Garde. No matter, it is a tasty and highly drinkable ale perfect for cold nights.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Len
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

And this is in the latest 6 pack???
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Chau-diere? Chau-diere???

Here's to the slow path.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Wheatsheaf wrote:Chau-diere? Chau-diere???

Say it Frenchy!!!

:lol:
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JeffPorter wrote:And this is in the latest 6 pack???

Yes, along with the new Blueberry Wheat as well.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

notdan

Post by notdan »

I tried this on tap at the brewpub in Ottawa and while I enjoyed it a fair bit, I agree that it was more along the lines of a Tripel than a Bière de Garde. I found it too sweet and heavy to fall into the french category.

Regardless, it's a tasty and fruity beer with a nice spicy yeast flavour that I'm sure I'll have again.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Is this seasonal pack showing up at any LCBO's yet? I did a search on their website but to no avail??. Both brands sound interesting!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

It's not bad - I thought it would be too sweet for me at first, but it's going down fairly easy.

I don't have much (if any?) experience with biere de gardes, but I'll echo the tripel comment, and add that it almost strikes me as a cross between the double and the tripel.

Now I have some stock ale, tankhouse, organic lager, and a lemon tea ale in my fridge for guests, which is actually an ok deal, I suppose.

Also, nice to see Mill St. putting out some ok one-offs in these packs.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Chaudiere isn't a one-off, it's a house beer from the Ottawa location along with their Valley Irish Red and Portgage Cream Ale.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

I really enjoyed this beer....suprisingly more than the Blueberry Wheat. As already said, I hardly noticed the 7%. Great job Mill St!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

355ml bottle from a mill st mix 6. amber, white head. very belgian nose, warm fermented, quite a bit of candied sugar. sweet flavour, under hopped. so so drinkability. not a biere de garde, just an ok belgian ale.