Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Church Key Beechwood

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Church Key Beechwood

Post by JeffPorter »

Not quite sure, but I think it's being advertised as a rauchbier...

It's quite good - miles better than Holy Smoke...more smooth and with a cleaner taste...I'd say there's only about 15-20% smoke malt, but still pretty smoky.

Also had a tap of Peche at the Rhino - which I swear is the barrel aged...It tasted completely different...are there kegs of this stuff kicking around the city?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Perfectly balanced, a winner and hopefully a permanent in the line.

Sampled at the new Bar Hop on King West, Sammy in attendance (who liked it too).

Hadn't seen Rob, a co-owner, since the days of Smokeless Joe when it was on John Street. The new place has all the makings of a first class beer bar downtown, e.g. there was a gleaming hand pump pouring Canucklehead (dry-hopped Crazy Canuck). According to Harry who had tried it earlier it was tasting just fine.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I tried it yesterday at the Dominion on Queen - not my style but it was pretty good. Btw, the Dominion has really picked up their beer choices. Usual suspects, but also one offs like the Beechwood, Ten Bitter, etc. Sean plans 2 or 3 rotating taps as well and usually has a cask going.