Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

GLB 25th Ann. Robust Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Well, so many ways to look at it.

But to simplify my schema, there are only three types:

1) English;

2) American; and

3 Baltic (bottom-fermented).

Gary
Gary Gillman

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

G.M. Gillman wrote: Well, so many ways to look at it. But to simplify my schema, there are only three types:
1) English;
2) American; and
3) Baltic (bottom-fermented).
Gary
Most of what we've mentioned is echoed by the Oxford Companion's discussion on porter, though I was incorrect in assuming that robust examples are usually drier than brown porters. This article says the former should avoid "excessive dryness" and "never finish like an Irish stout" (unlike brown/English takes, I suppose). Also, while the literature confirms that brown porters are generally sweeter and more toffee-like than robust renditions, the latter typically have more body and residual sweetness (which presumably provide a richer, fuller mouthfeel).

Anyway, I enjoy hearing your views on these things as my knowledge of styles is exclusively based on modern descriptions and my experience with mostly North American interpretations, whereas you have a broader historical understanding and have tasted European beers (old and new) that I will probably never encounter.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott