Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey Amber

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Flying Monkey Amber

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This is a well-made, British-styled pale ale, well-hopped and with a tasty but not over-sweet (for the style, 5% ABV pale ale) amber. Very nice, this brewery has just gotten better every step of the way. This is a pint beer for lunch or with friends. It's not a double this or triple that, not fruit-soaked or sour, just a good solid amber of the kind I recall back when craft beer started in the late 70's. We need more of these IMO, well-made 5%-ers that don't take a strip off your tongue but taste like beer should.

Gary
Gary Gillman

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Gary - maybe I'm getting old, but it's simple beers like this that are really spinning my dials lately - where'd you taste it.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Six pack from Beer Store Jeff.

Gary
Gary Gillman

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Duh- just realized what beer it is! Thanks. I'll need to pick some up soon...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

JeffPorter wrote:Gary - maybe I'm getting old, but it's simple beers like this that are really spinning my dials lately - where'd you taste it.
Not getting old, just been in the beer game too long. These days everyone and their dog has a beer twitter account or blog, and everyone else is starting a brewery. It's too much for me to keep up with releases and fight the hunting crowds of hipsters these days, find myself falling back on tried-and-trues more and more.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The former Robert Simpson confederate has improved.

heebes

Post by heebes »

wasnt this one being shelved for a new regular listing, an american wheat pale or something? anyone heard anything further of this via monkeys?

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

a local has this on tap and i must say, it's leaps and bounds better than when i had the bottle format a year or two ago. Nice malt profile with some spicy hop flavor from the saaz.

thought it was well done.