Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Welly IRS in cans

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Welly IRS in cans

Post by JeffPorter »

Has anyone else had these yet? The one I had last night seemed really under carbonated.

It opens with a nice mocha head that disappears immediately, almost like a coke would. The result after that is that it seems quite flat which makes it cloying, sweet, and boozy.

Just wondering what others are getting.

I'll try my other can tonight, to see if there's a difference, but I don't seem to remember this beer like this, and I have fond memories of it on cask, too...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I tried a couple of cans over the weekend and I was also underwhelmed. I thought this one was going to be mega.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

I also was quite disappointed with this. Found there to be a heavy sweet toffee flavour that was over powering. Gave it another shot and it was the exact same as the first. Lets hope that this recipe gets tweaked soon.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Definitely seems to be lacking compared to the previous brewery release cans. I'd take the cheap sticker on a plain can to get that richer flavour back
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tried a sample at the Only event, it seemed not bad at all... though I prefer Welly Iron Duke!
In Beerum Veritas

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Wife and I shared one of these tonight and I'm wondering if they've tweaked this or if the initial release was off. I was underwhelmed when I tried this a couple months back, but the can I had tonight was rich, somewhat smoky and delicious.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Gedge wrote:Wife and I shared one of these tonight and I'm wondering if they've tweaked this or if the initial release was off. I was underwhelmed when I tried this a couple months back, but the can I had tonight was rich, somewhat smoky and delicious.
Sounds like what the original brewery release cans were like. Glad they have stepped it back up
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Gedge wrote:Wife and I shared one of these tonight and I'm wondering if they've tweaked this or if the initial release was off. I was underwhelmed when I tried this a couple months back, but the can I had tonight was rich, somewhat smoky and delicious.
This is good to hear!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

every can ive had has been good

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Had one last night. Wasn't Hellwoods or Tempest, but didn't seem off in any nor was it sweet and cloying. Was decent.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I've had a few now (not today, mind you) and think it's great. So glad to see this back as a regular release.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Black velvet. Super nice for the particular style.
In Beerum Veritas

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Will reaffirm that this isn't one to dismiss. Very enjoyable. Picked up a couple fresh while grabbing one of their coffee cream stouts.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

edit.

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

cmadd wrote:Had one last night. Wasn't Hellwoods or Tempest, but didn't seem off in any nor was it sweet and cloying. Was decent.
Yes cmadd I agree it's not Hellwoods or Tempest but like you I found it quite good and like the others said a bit flatter (no legs?) then some others I've had. I'd buy more. I can only get it as part of their Discovery Pack, not hot on the other 3 but I bought it because it had this one.

Cheers,
Live or Die by Good Beer