Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westvleteren 12

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Westvleteren 12

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Being a lifelong student of beer and beer history, there are few "milestones" yet to cross: Westy 12 was one of them, until tonight.

It happened all by accident as beer experiences often do. I had a meeting around the corner almost from Bellwoods, so popped in after for a refresher in this hot summer.

A pint of their saison went down super-quick and glad I was of it. Then I saw on the blackboard, Westvleteren 12. Wow. So I ordered it, hoping almost against hope it would stand up to its awesome reputation. I say that since so often in the matter of renowned this or that, the promise and reality are two different things.

Well, the first sip showed me this IS a deserved classic. It didn't remind me very much of its commercial iteration, St. Bernardus. It actually reminded me more of what Chimay was like in the 1970's. I don't (for once) have the adjectives to describe it, so I'll leave it at that.

Those who haven't tried it shouldn't miss the opportunity.

Gary
Gary Gillman

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Hey Gary,

Wait'll you try that with some age on it. The bottle I had recently at Bellwoods was still a little raw. When it mellows, it's even better.
saintjohnswort.ca

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Definitely a further goal, likely sometime down the road given it's take me 40 years to get to this point! With some after-reflection, I'd say the palate was smooth caramel malt and brown spices, with a surprising bitter note from the hops. Very natural and rich-tasting.

Gary
Gary Gillman

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Wow. I'm honestly amazed that you'd never tried it before now, Gary.

I coincidentally shared a bottle with a few folks at Bellwoods last week, thanks to a generous friend who bought one for the table. I think it was my 5th or 6th time having it, and it's fantastic - and a little bit different - every time.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Yes and I've been in Belgium a couple of times too. :) I think one reason I've not gone out of my way to find it is in general, I find Belgian beers overrated. To me most of the ales, excepting Saisons and Orval, taste very similiar regardless of strength or colour in that they are dominated by that raisiny bready yeast-like taste, something I just don't like. Even a lot of lagers there, and some French ones, have that taste in a subtler form. People clearly like it, it's a regional taste (terroir) and probably in part is valued because it goes well with food, but I never liked it.

And if it's not that we enter gueuze-lambic territory, not my preferred taste either.

So I figured, Westy 12 would taste like that, but it is quite different IMO or rather, the best form pretty much so far of Trappist I've had.

But it's true there are gaps in even (ahem) my knowledge. Until recently I am pretty sure I never had a filtered German wheat beer.

I've only had Gose Bier once (the original from Germany) and thought it was great.

I've never had any beer from Franconia or very little, and it's a great beer region. Never had Berliner weisse in anywhere near authentic form (an export Kindl quite aged by the time I got to it doesn't count I think).

On the other hand, it's good to have something to look forward to!

Gary
Gary Gillman

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

My sister just turned 19 last fall, so when she visited over Christmas I took her out to Volo.

And, because I had years' worth of mentoring to make up for, we had Westie 6 and 12.

FWIW, I think I prefer drinking the 6 (quaffable) and savouring the 12 (sippable).

A little bird told that Volo should have a couple takes on Berliner for Funk Night (more in line with the style's historical roots than the current version brewed in Berlin).

Jason

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i'll admit that one of the more disappointing beer I've had is Westy 8 and 12 at the cafe in Westvleteren. superfresh, superyoung.

one of the best beer I've had is Westy 8 in Golem in Amsterdam. Delicious and a great treat.

I have two 8s and two 12s that are a year old and hiding in my cellar. I'm hoping to ignore them for another 1-2 years before being tempted to try one of them. age is imperative. the burnt sugar flavour really comes out.

I'm also sitting on a dozen or so St Bernie Abt 12s from the LCBO release 1.5 years ago. going to crack one open this Xmas and will slowly peck away at it to see if it develops any West 12 characteristics.

and if you ever find Westy Blonde, i really dig it. its a nice, grassy-yet-slightly-funky blonde.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Have one bottle each of the Blonde, 8 and 12 left from my trip to Westvleteren. Looking forward to them alll
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Am I the only one disappointed that GM didn't blend this with a pale lager :)

Westy is good.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Funny you say that, just as I was finishing my half (it was shared with a friend), I was thinking ... oh never mind. :)

Gary
Gary Gillman

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

icemachine wrote:Have one bottle each of the Blonde, 8 and 12 left from my trip to Westvleteren. Looking forward to them alll
drink the blonde sooner vs later

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Love the Blonde, best of their lineup in my opinion.

I've only tasted the 8 and 12 uber fresh (under 2 months) and uber old (something like 8+ years old). None of which impressed me much.

That being said, I'm looking at my fancy new 6-pack of Westy 12 right now!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I find Belgian beers overrated. To me most of the ales, excepting Saisons and Orval, taste very similiar regardless of strength or colour in that they are dominated by that raisiny bready yeast-like taste, something I just don't like. Even a lot of lagers there, and some French ones, have that taste in a subtler form. People clearly like it, it's a regional taste (terroir) and probably in part is valued because it goes well with food, but I never liked it.

And if it's not that we enter gueuze-lambic territory, not my preferred taste either.

So I figured, Westy 12 would taste like that, but it is quite different IMO or rather, the best form pretty much so far of Trappist I've had.
Gary
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Belgian beers.
I really hadn't been too interested in getting any of Westy until reading this but now I am much more inclined to give it a try.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

toweringpine wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:I find Belgian beers overrated. To me most of the ales, excepting Saisons and Orval, taste very similiar regardless of strength or colour in that they are dominated by that raisiny bready yeast-like taste, something I just don't like. Even a lot of lagers there, and some French ones, have that taste in a subtler form. People clearly like it, it's a regional taste (terroir) and probably in part is valued because it goes well with food, but I never liked it.

Gary
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Belgian beers.
I really hadn't been too interested in getting any of Westy until reading this but now I am much more inclined to give it a try.
you guys haven't tried Pannepot. IMO, one of the best strong ales out there. smooth as hell.
Dulle Teve has a very strong pear hit to it. unique and brilliant beer.
Fantome is in a class of its own.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

No question individual brands or styles can appeal greatly, I've always enjoyed some Saisons for example. But in general, I find most Belgian ales less individualistic than is sometimes suggested, just a personal take.

Gary
Gary Gillman