Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hops and Robbers IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Hops and Robbers IPA

Post by markaberrant »

Another new entry to the Alberta market, this can has a BB of Nov 9, so assuming reasonably fresh.

Aroma is mild malt, somewhat reminiscent of a quality english bitter. Pleasant enough.

Hop flavour is again quite restrained, but instead of rich malt backbone, it comes off a little watery/bland.

I have trouble agreeing with the claim on the can that this is "Canada's most sessionable IPA," whatever the hell that means. I also don't pick up any lemon or pineapple notes as mentioned on the can. There is a bit of english hops in a supporting role, but that's about it.

This is just an average English IPA/ESB, there is no reason why this needs to be 5.7%, it certainly doesn't come across as robust. I'd rather drink a Fullers, or better yet a Jaipur IPA, but this is still drinkable.

This would be cutting edge stuff if it was 1992. Very much an old school Canadian craft beer.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

yep. that's about right.

Mad Tom's probably the best ON IPA with Smashbomb being a close second.
the rest?who needs 'em.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

atomeyes wrote:yep. that's about right.

the rest?who needs 'em.
Wrong. I'll take Headstock over Mad Tom any day. And I "need" Hop Addict as well.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Malcolm wrote:

the rest?who needs 'em.
Wrong. I'll take Headstock over Mad Tom any day. And I "need" Hop Addict as well.
Not to mention Boneshaker...

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

idunno....
depends what you dig from IPAs. i need that insane/lovely floral hit. that's why i dig Witchshark so very much. great bouquet:bitter ratio.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

atomeyes wrote:idunno....
depends what you dig from IPAs. i need that insane/lovely floral hit. that's why i dig Witchshark so very much. great bouquet:bitter ratio.
You find Witchshark floral???? Really?

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

GregClow wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

the rest?who needs 'em.
Not to mention Boneshaker...
+1 love me some boneshaker!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant wrote: This would be cutting edge stuff if it was 1992. Very much an old school Canadian craft beer.
I completely agree... but I did really like it.

Sort of a west-coast ESB by today's standards. Very little malt backbone and nicely attenuated, as an IPA should be. I actually think a session IPA is a descent descriptor.

Not as hoppy or 'sessionable' as a Crazy Canuck, but a very pleasant brew.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
the amarillo nose jumps out really nicely.
i also drink it closer to room temp, so who knows.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Derek wrote: I completely agree...but I did really like it. Sort of a west-coast ESB by today's standards.
I've been saying this all along, and judged as a North American-style ESB (read: a dry-hopped English ESB with amped up levels of British and American hops and slightly higher IBUs), it's a very solid beer. I find it to be ridiculously sessionable, yet flavouful and nuanced enough to keep things interesting. It's just unfortunate that they went with the IPA label, rather than educating consumers on a fairly new and developing style (see: Three Floyds, Rogue, Central City, Southern Tier, Goose Island, Yards, Al's Cask Ale, etc).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
the amarillo nose jumps out really nicely.
i also drink it closer to room temp, so who knows.
Witchshark to me is just pine-city. Kind of one dimensional actually