Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

House Ales Abbey Normal with Brett

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

House Ales Abbey Normal with Brett

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This own-production from Volo was one of the outstanding beers offered during the recent Funk festival there. It is still on draft at the bar and I had it tonight. It has a complex vinous/sweet/lightly sour taste, with some influence evident from 6 months in oak, and surely is the type of red ale aged in those "foudres" we have all read about in Flanders.

I find it better than any iteration of Rodenbach, in fact. A perfectly poised, wine-like beer, the wine aficionados should be all over this one.

Well done, Ralph and team.

Gary
Gary Gillman

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Better than Rodenbach Grand Cru?

Wow, must be a hell of a beer.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Obviously this is down to personal taste, but Rodenbach's beers are a little sour for me, vinegar-like sour, whereas the House Ales aged dubbel (it's about 8% ABV) had a tart flavour than didn't go too far - for me.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Plus, it's called Abbey Normal.

Sadly, I cannot make my eyes point in opposite directions.