Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Renaissance Brewing - Craftsman Oatmeal Chocolate Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Renaissance Brewing - Craftsman Oatmeal Chocolate Stout

Post by NRman »

Anyone tried this?
Its got a sporadic distribution so far
http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/i ... ber=285437

The few reviewers on BA like it....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16534/54769

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I had one last night and it was overcarbonated. Tasted good, but way too fizzy.

teichertbier

Post by teichertbier »

Gedge wrote:I had one last night and it was overcarbonated. Tasted good, but way too fizzy.
Trying to pour one now, 90% foam. This is going to take awhile.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Over-carbonated & a mild metallic off flavour. Sadly I drain poured.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Over-carbonated & a mild metallic off flavour. Sadly I drain poured.
The over-carbonation could make it taste off, could it not? (Just a Q.)

I would pour the hell out of this into a huge tulip glass to reduce the carbonation.
In Beerum Veritas

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Belgian wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Over-carbonated & a mild metallic off flavour. Sadly I drain poured.
The over-carbonation could make it taste off, could it not? (Just a Q.)

I would pour the hell out of this into a huge tulip glass to reduce the carbonation.
Excess carbonation, and therefore presence of carbonic acid, can cause an acidic or 'prickly' flavour that could perhaps be interpreted as 'metallic'?

And in particular, one with nucleation sites (e.g. Duvel tulip) will speed the process along.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Last year I had the privilege to attend a beer sensory course held by Chris Williams (I think I've got the last name correct!) of Sleemans. It was a really fantastic course in which we got to try beers with every sort of off flavour in them. What as really neat was to see how some people could be really sensitive to one specific off flavour. For instance I was really good a detecting metallic undertones but not as good with diacetyl, whereas someone else from our brewery was the total opposite. He also said one of the main causes for a metallic defect was over recirculation at either the heat exchanging or filtering stage.

One of the tricks he taught us regarding metallic is that it is near impossible to smell a metallic defect; that it comes through in the flavour. However if you think you taste a metallic defect what you can do is stick your finger in your beer and rub the beer onto the back of your hand and smell. If you smell metal then there is a metallic defect. If no metal then you are tasting something else.

So I did do this test with the Craftsman Chocolate Stout and did smell metal on the back of my hand. I'm not saying that I'm totally correct on this, as we all know this stuff can be quite subjective and I don't remember anything from the course about a carbonic acid off flavour, but that's what I picked up.

As an aside, I had the beer in a normal pint glass and swirled the crap outta the beer to reduce the carbonation. I picked up more metallic after I did this, most likely because when it was overly carbonated my tongue couldn't taste much over all the bubbles.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

dale cannon wrote:Excess carbonation, and therefore presence of carbonic acid, can cause an acidic or 'prickly' flavour that could perhaps be interpreted as 'metallic'?

And in particular, one with nucleation sites (e.g. Duvel tulip) will speed the process along.
This is what I mean, buddy boy dumped out a good beer. The German word "Säure" by the way is commonly used for both acidic compounds (Sauerstoff) and to CO2 on beverages (Kohlensäure). That was a clue.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Belgian wrote:
dale cannon wrote:Excess carbonation, and therefore presence of carbonic acid, can cause an acidic or 'prickly' flavour that could perhaps be interpreted as 'metallic'?

This is what I mean, buddy boy dumped out a good beer. The German word "Säure" by the way is commonly used for both acidic compounds (Sauerstoff) and to CO2 on beverages (Kohlensäure). That was a clue.
An over-carbonated beer is not a good beer, even if I am wrong on the metallic comment, which I am pretty certain I am not, but if you want to buy another bottle, be my guest.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

I experienced none of the aforementioned issues (purchased my bottle at Dufferin and Wilson). Low carbonation on the pour even, and zero metallic qualities - and I'm quite sensitive to them. A quite pleasant chocolatey oatmeal stout.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Last year I had the privilege to attend a beer sensory course held by Chris Williams (I think I've got the last name correct!) of Sleemans. It was a really fantastic course in which we got to try beers with every sort of off flavour in them. What as really neat was to see how some people could be really sensitive to one specific off flavour. For instance I was really good a detecting metallic undertones but not as good with diacetyl, whereas someone else from our brewery was the total opposite. He also said one of the main causes for a metallic defect was over recirculation at either the heat exchanging or filtering stage.

One of the tricks he taught us regarding metallic is that it is near impossible to smell a metallic defect; that it comes through in the flavour. However if you think you taste a metallic defect what you can do is stick your finger in your beer and rub the beer onto the back of your hand and smell. If you smell metal then there is a metallic defect. If no metal then you are tasting something else.

So I did do this test with the Craftsman Chocolate Stout and did smell metal on the back of my hand. I'm not saying that I'm totally correct on this, as we all know this stuff can be quite subjective and I don't remember anything from the course about a carbonic acid off flavour, but that's what I picked up.

As an aside, I had the beer in a normal pint glass and swirled the crap outta the beer to reduce the carbonation. I picked up more metallic after I did this, most likely because when it was overly carbonated my tongue couldn't taste much over all the bubbles.
Interesting, I don't doubt that you tasted metal.

I will look for that flavour when I get around to trying this one.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

way over carbonated, very thin body, had some celery in the nose

major issues with my bottle, purchased at the speedvale store in guelph

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Guess I've been lucky as my 4 bottles so far have been great. No over-carbonation, no metallic flavours, not thin at all for a beer of its strength. Quite enjoyable stuff. Looking forward to the Elemental Porter coming later this year.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Last year I had the privilege to attend a beer sensory course held by Chris Williams (I think I've got the last name correct!) of Sleemans. It was a really fantastic course in which we got to try beers with every sort of off flavour in them. What as really neat was to see how some people could be really sensitive to one specific off flavour. For instance I was really good a detecting metallic undertones but not as good with diacetyl, whereas someone else from our brewery was the total opposite. He also said one of the main causes for a metallic defect was over recirculation at either the heat exchanging or filtering stage.

I'm quite sensitive to beers with that pen ink/wet paper synthetic booze flavour. In other words I'm sensitive to beers that taste like Trafalgar.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I seem to dodge a bullet with 'bad' beer more than many of you guys! :lol: This bottle is fine. Very dry and porter-like palate with a slight roasty edge and some bitter chocolate, no metal.
In Beerum Veritas