Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys BNL (Bare Naked Ladies) Strong Beer

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

King Edward

Flying Monkeys BNL (Bare Naked Ladies) Strong Beer

Post by King Edward »

Got a chance to try an advance sampler of this tonight. Lots of chocolate aroma, lots. Then comes the chocolate flavour. So much in fact that it hides the dark side, 11%. I wouldn't put it in the trad "Imperial Stout" class, but it's typical of what FM does best. Off the wall, but damned good.

There's just enough bitterness to make this taste like the best chocolate you've ever had in a bottle. It's like chocolate wine. Apparently the band helped brew it to Peter's recipe. So, if you like your BNL strong and chocolatey, this is the way to go.
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Is this the same as the Mark Henry Sexual Chocolate beer they had at Cask Days, does anyone know? Sounds the same from Rich's description above. (It was really good).

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

midlife crisis wrote:Is this the same as the Mark Henry Sexual Chocolate beer they had at Cask Days, does anyone know? Sounds the same from Rich's description above. (It was really good).
If it was good, yes. Actually it was a little of the production and pilot brews blended into one cask. I enjoyed it but Mike's RIS blew my brains that day.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Peter, I thought it was terrific. It, the Stalin's Choice that you mentioned and the collaboration Farmhouse Harvest were my favorites.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

midlife crisis wrote:Peter, I thought it was terrific. It, the Stalin's Choice that you mentioned and the collaboration Farmhouse Harvest were my favorites.
Agreed!!

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

The big question is, when will it be in stores? The LCBO website lists the product, but shows no inventory anywhere yet.
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Saw on my Twitter feed that it's already available at Willow Park Wines and Spirits.......in Calgary????? How the hell did that happen? Bizarre. Well, we can only hope that it means it's very close to hitting the local Ontario market soon.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

I'm pretty sure it is being shipped to individual LCBO stores as well.....We shipped it out to all distributors at the same time so it is just a matter of processing times through warehouse networks! Peace PC

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

peterchiodo wrote:I'm pretty sure it is being shipped to individual LCBO stores as well.....We shipped it out to all distributors at the same time so it is just a matter of processing times through warehouse networks! Peace PC
As Lemmy says

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/i ... ber=318063
The 53 in Waterloo are going fast
Thanks FM!!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

On that note....
Peter
Its seem Lemmy and the boys are into this.
Just a thought for your next collaboration.
http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2 ... 61512.aspx

:o

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

It's at the Yonge & Dundas LCBO today. We picked up a bottle.
lister

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

great aroma, good flavour, to much raw cocoa bitterness in the finish

i liked it but a 750 was a bit much

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

matt7215 wrote:great aroma, good flavour, to much raw cocoa bitterness in the finish

i liked it but a 750 was a bit much
I might end up taking back my stance on big bombers like this...

We had it with dinner (spicy tacos, so it actually kinda worked) My wife poured off about 5 oz, I had a glass with dinner, and am now sitting down with a glass (about 12 oz). Not really all that much, although I do know with bombers like this it can be the last 5 or 6 oz that are tough.

It IS much better than ST and more drinkable, too. I actually quite like that chocolate bitterness, as it helps keep it from being cloying. Nice beer. Will I buy more? I'm getting buried in Imperial Stouts right now and Pothole Filler hasn't even made it here yet. So...maybe as gifts.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I had a small sample at the Summerhill signing and found it had a much stronger cocoa character, and less overall sweetness than say the Mark Henry version at Cask Days, to it's benefit imho. I was mentally comparing it to things like Young's Double Chocolate, (though probably more dry and less "milk chocolatey"), which I consider to be fairly favourable company to be in! I haven't tried the bottle I bought yet so it remains to be seen if my opinion holds up beyond a 2oz taster but I was pretty happy with it.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

With apologies to Gary Gillman ... I opened a bottle of this and drank half of it or so, but just found it too rich, too sweet, too something, to finish. I mixed the rest 50-50 with a Camerons Rye PA to give it a bit of a bitter punch. Absolutely superb! Highly recommended.